Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Stuck BB  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Stuck BB
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
I'm fixing up my brother's bike for xmas (Mid-90's Specialized Hardrock Comp).  I pulled the cranks and noticed the spindle has a tiny bit of play.  I don't have the dinero to get a new square taper BB but I wanted to pull the BB to get the size so that I can tell my brother what size to order.  Left side cup comes out no problem.  I try to loosen the right side to remove it but the bastard will not budge.  I'm putting all of my 210 lbs on this thing and it isn't moving (and yes I am trying to turn it the correct direction). 

Any ideas on how to loosen it up?   

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Re: Stuck BB
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »
I had the same problem on my old 92 rockhopper. I hate putting wd40 anywhere near my bike but it worked for this one......I sprayed wd 40, let it sit for a few minutes and used a rubber mallet on the wrench/BB tool. It finally came out and I didnt damage the threads.....
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »
I have an entire square taper crankset with BB that is practically brand new you can have if you want/need it. It's a Truvativ crankset with a Shimano BB-UN25.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
honestly I wouldn't try to pull it out if it's really stuck until you are ready to replace it (yes I understand you need to get the size so you can order a new one) but you might damage something and not be able to ride it for a while. I would tell him he needs a new one and when he has the downtime to tear it apart to replace it, then do it.

I would try some penetrating lubricant (PB Blaster etc.) soak it overnight. You could also try tapping on a block of wood on the spindle (as if trying to knock the BB through the shell) just hard enough to try and break the bond between the threads.
[/don]

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »
I'm fixing up my brother's bike for xmas (Mid-90's Specialized Hardrock Comp).  I pulled the cranks and noticed the spindle has a tiny bit of play.  I don't have the dinero to get a new square taper BB but I wanted to pull the BB to get the size so that I can tell my brother what size to order.  Left side cup comes out no problem.  I try to loosen the right side to remove it but the bastard will not budge.  I'm putting all of my 210 lbs on this thing and it isn't moving (and yes I am trying to turn it the correct direction). 

Any ideas on how to loosen it up?   

I have this crank that my budy wants $30 for:

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Good point on keeping it as is until it really needs to be replaced. 

I'm going to stick with the stock cranks on this bike.  It has these really cool forged "specialized" cranks.  I think they are just rebadged Shimano cranks, but they look really cool.  I'll post pics when I'm done with her. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:48:30 PM by Alan »

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »
Did you get the bb out?
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:28:49 AM »
Not yet. Won't budge even with tapping the bb whilst trying to loosen it.  I will hose it down with WD40 and yank it out once my bro has the money together for a new bb. Bike is still able to be enjoyed right now. Hate for the WD to get into the bb bearings and make the bike unridable.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »
Not yet. Won't budge even with tapping the bb whilst trying to loosen it.  I will hose it down with WD40 and yank it out once my bro has the money together for a new bb. Bike is still able to be enjoyed right now. Hate for the WD to get into the bb bearings and make the bike unridable.

use PB-50 blaster lub instead.... not a solvent like WD40, wont hurt the bb (as far as I know)... can even use it to lube your chain...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:41:31 AM by Darrinw2001 »

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 06:17:33 AM »
Use a bolt and washer to hold the BB tool on and use the longest wrench you can find on it.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
Use a bolt and washer to hold the BB tool on and use the longest wrench you can find on it.
Very good tip! I had one stuck on my buddies bike a while back so I put the bike on it's side, had someone stand on the ratchet head, and then gave it a really good pull with a super long flex head ratchet. After getting it out I did kinda rethink my method since it doesn't seem like it would take much to split that BB shell. I've also taken a stuck one out with an impact gun but it was only stuck due to stripped tool splines not locked up threads. The impact gun was able to get a bite and spin the cup right out.

Side point: I got a Giant NRS frame free from a guy due to his lbs not being able to get the cup out. Took me a few seconds......so ended up being well worth the risk of splitting the bb shell. Figured I'd pay it forward to a good buddy who was on a pos hardtail......he doesn't even ride it off road anymore.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Advertisement: