Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Periodic Trail Closings in the Morris Bridge sections of Wilderness Trails.  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
See the press release below:
Off-road bicycling/hiking trails and the parking area within the Morris Bridge Bicycle Area will be closed intermittently from mid-December through mid-January except for weekends and holidays.  The Morris Bridge Bicycle Area is located just south of Morris Bridge Road and just east of Interstate 75 near Temple Terrace.  The property is managed by the Southwest Florida Water Management District in cooperation with the Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department.  The District will be conducting resource management activities to improve habitat for the state-listed gopher tortoise.  For safety reasons, the area will be closed during periods when heavy equipment is being used for vegetation management.

The first such closing is planned for tomorrow 12/16/2009. The remainder of the park will be open.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
The District will be conducting resource management activities to improve habitat for the state-listed gopher tortoise.  For safety reasons, the area will be closed during periods when heavy equipment is being used for vegetation management.

So... the Gopher needs man's help with heavy equipment? Are these GIANT GOPHERS? ;D
They need help digging really big holes?

This make as much sense as when i was laying out Enduro trails and we had to avoid certain trees that some kind of woodpecker lived in, by 100 yards. Yet  20 Ton dump trucks ran within 6 feet of several of those trees several times per day. (dirt road was close to some of them)

"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Yep, they do.  If you can't set it on fire, you have to control the density of the vegetation with heavy mowing/mulching equipment.  When this equipment is working, it throws big chunks of wood at high velocity in all directions.  You don't want to be anywhere near when the equipments running.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
so the main loop will be unable to be loop'ed at these times? i suppose one could ride morris bridge rd. to complete the loop.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Bummer I was going to put in an hour till dark.....I guess it'll be an out and back.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Gregg, will this effect the WT-50 January 9th?

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
I just re-read your post Gregg....Will hole in the fence area be open? Thats Trout Creek right?
I've only ridden it 1000 times thats why I'm not sure.....

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Yep, they do.  If you can't set it on fire, you have to control the density of the vegetation with heavy mowing/mulching equipment.  When this equipment is working, it throws big chunks of wood at high velocity in all directions.  You don't want to be anywhere near when the equipments running.

Very true. Couldn't have said it better. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
I just re-read your post Gregg....Will hole in the fence area be open? Thats Trout Creek right?
I've only ridden it 1000 times thats why I'm not sure.....

No Skin, Hole in the Fence is morris bridge... all trails on the south side of Morris bridge road. Trout creek is Bayshore, Coconut grove, and the trails by the leve road... you could park at HITF, ride across the street and do coconut grove, bayshore, cut over into flatwoods to the ride to panther in and back, out to the paved loop, and head back.. should take about 1hr

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
OK thanks...I guess that means Fletcher is Morris Bridge road. Thats where I got confused.....

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Periodic Trail Closings in the Morris Bridge sections of Wilderness Trails.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:28 AM »
OK thanks...I guess that means Fletcher is Morris Bridge road. Thats where I got confused.....

Fletcher turns into Morris Bridge when you go under I-75...

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Periodic Trail Closings in the Morris Bridge sections of Wilderness Trails.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
Gregg, will this effect the WT-50 January 9th?

Not really. In terms of the park being open, but you may have to alter your route.

Advertisement: