Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Advice for new bike please............  (Read 3039 times)

Offline motomediafx

• First Bike
  • My Bike: GF HT
Advice for new bike please............
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
Greetings all swampers. Been here awhile and have enjoyed the wealth of information. So I though I would pose a couple questions for the board. Quick bio, experience, and desire.

Im a tall rider 6'6", 230lbs. I use to ride all the time many years ago. I was hitting the ski slope summer sessions before they were the thing to do. I have a place in Tennessee, deep within the Smokies that is full of excellent riding. I lived in Utah 5 years ago and hit Moab, Crystal Creek, and all the other spots as well. So my experience and riding is varied.

Im back in Florida and have to admit I gave up riding due to the fact I believed there was nothing to ride here. I heard many times that there was good riding close by, Alafia and Boyette,  but I laughed it away as I thought it was a joke. But recently the wife wanted to start riding round the hood so I bought us a couple Gary Fisher Piranhas'. Then we made a trip out to Alafia...........

I apologize to all and any I may have offended through the years. I had a blast. Some great technical trails, varied conditions, etc. It was a good time and could not believe the turnout. As I went over the top of my handlebars.....lol......I had a flashback of me standing at the bike shop insisting on a hard-tail.....Idiot.

So now to the point. After alot of research I figure its time for another bike. I have narrowed my search to Specialized or Giant. I would love some final input from all on this. I need two options taking all of the above into consideration. The bike will be for down here on the local stuff, with the occasional trip to Tennessee.

I need the opinions on the best bike for $1800-$2500, and the best from $2500- $3500. It seems like the very high end bikes are off the chart, but the mid range bikes are close enough. And if another brand is in your list give me that as well. Thanks to all......

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Advice for new bike please............
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »
you could get a new trek fuel ex 8 or 9 in those price ranges.  I'm very happy with my ex 9.  5inch travel at 26 lbs, the only thing better is carbon but it comes with a price.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »
Your best bang for your buck is either Giant Trance or Giant Reign XO, X1
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
I'll second the Giant Trance X, go see Dave or Darren at A.J.'s :) They also sell Specialized so you can compare the two ;)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »
Another vote for the Trance X.  I had a Reign and a Trance X.  Giant's Maestro suspension is highly underrated.  And it doesn't squeak!  ;D
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
Go to AJ's and test ride the bikes. Dont let the Giant pushers here cloud your thought process. Specialized makes good quiet bikes. You can get just about anything you want with your budget, especially if you buy a clearance item. I am a big rider, not as tall as you but love my FSR 29er for these trails.......
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:21 PM »
Dare to be different. Try the trek EX 8 or 9.  They are every bit as good as a trance. Giants may be a good bike but everyone has them. I mean EVERYBODY! A Trance is about exciting as a loaf of bread. The market is flooded with them and thier resell value isnt good. Be a robot or stand out in a crowd.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
I have to vote for the Giant trance as well. I have an X2 and I have abused it here in Florida and up north and it has never failed to perform.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »
I vote you try every bike in your price range not just in 1 shop, try a couple of different shops and brands.

Don't listen to people that say this or that bike creaks or squeaks because if i had $1 for every bike i heard creak and squeak during the FSC i'd be riding a very expensive bike right now.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »
09' Giant Trance X3 or X2 are on close out at AJ's in Valrico... Dave will give you a great deal.. I just bought mine and LOVE it...

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »
Dare to be different. Try the trek EX 8 or 9.  They are every bit as good as a trance. Giants may be a good bike but everyone has them. I mean EVERYBODY! A Trance is about exciting as a loaf of bread. The market is flooded with them and thier resell value isnt good. Be a robot or stand out in a crowd.
Trek makes really nice road bikes ;)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »
Trek makes really nice road bikes ;)
Im not going to respond! :-\

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:10:58 PM »
Why mm? that was for your viewing pleasure ;D Seriously tho, the only reason I pimped the Trance is that for the $$$ it is the best value. Great rear suspension design in the Maestro and because Giant does'nt have a middle man you get a better speced bike for the $$$. Pretty much ALL modern bikes are good and you would be hard pressed to tell a difference in performance :)

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »
Hi all !  At 6' 6" I would have to suggest a 29er . Specialized comp 29er can be had for around $2500 or expert version for around $ 3300 , if my memory is still good . Tall guys report they feel more in a 29er than on top of it .

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
Motomedia - i didn't notice where you said the new bike would be FS for sure.... though you did imply it by calling yourself an idiot :)

i'm an odd-ball but an avid rider and am gonna make a recommendation from left field... Motobecane. There are a few shops in FLA that carry them. Orlando and Jax for sure.

I have the Fantom Team - Full XTR & full suspension. Paid less than $2k and LOVE IT. I'm 6' 4" and ride their large/20" and it fits well. I'm short waisted with long legs (35" inseam) and needed to replace the seat post - but other than that it fits me.

They also sell 29er Ti hardtails - XTR for about $2k. Can't beat them and the guy that owns the Motobecame USA product line (its no longer a French company), lives in Jax.

Check out the product line here: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

Advertisement: