Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Time for a change.  (Read 1638 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Time for a change.
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
I just started riding again after a 5 month break. I usually ride Carter/loyce harpe, but after some frustration I'd like to try out Alafia. Being I've been out of it a while I'd like to stick to easier stuff, but still have some fun. Can you guys recommend which trails will give me some fun exercise and not get me lost? Not looking for flatwoods but don't want to climb any mountains right now. Also are all the trails and roads clearly marked?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Time for a change.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
Northcreek is probably the best for what you want. Rollercoaster with the easier options. What were you riding at Carter so it's easier to know what your comfort level is?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »
If you get lost at Alafia you have issues  ;D

Ride North Creek, Bridges and Rollercoaster and you'll have a pretty big smile on your face. Avoid Gatorback, Moonscape, hard option on rock garden (Franks corner), hard options on Rollercoaster and you should be fine. Welcome back
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:10:08 PM »
Also try Riverloop and sandpine which are also very challenging. ::)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »
thanks guys. not that I get lost easily, but I've never been there and it's twice the size of carter :o  which is a scary thought cause after not riding in 5 months I have no wind at all in me.
Before I stopped riding I was doing most of the trails at carter, but after my wife broke her ankle on the beast I decided to step it back a bit so I've was only riding the yellow and blue (easy and intermediate) trails for some fun exercise.
Are the trails at Alafia one way, or do you have to watch for people playing chicken with you?

And if you are curious why I stopped riding I caught the fishing bug again and decided to build my own boat.
Happy riding.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »
go to this link to get a map of Alafia http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3311.0;attach=923  one way trails are marked with black arrows... Have fun!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
5 months is a long time to be off of the bike.

Welcome back. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »
5 months and 20lbs feels like about 5 years right now. I gotta hurry up and get all the riding I can in now before the baby comes,  who knows what will happen after that :o

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »

And if you are curious why I stopped riding I caught the fishing bug again and decided to build my own boat.
Happy riding.
It's flounder season. ;-)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »

Happy riding.
It's flounder season. ;-)

Yummy......... Funny I sold the boat for a more active hobby .. MTB
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Take Dan-O with you as a tour guide. The frequent stops at any and all sharp corners will give you a rest and help you get your legs back  :D
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »
although i havent seen it yet, Catman would be a better choice as he wont go that far without bonking. I can attest thta you shouldnt follow him on rollercoaster - he likes to ride this section on his back!
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »
you guys are awsome, I downloaded the map and if things work out I may give it a quick shot this afternoon.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »
neko glad your back good to see you in the shop on sat,Should I say I told you so ? j\k  ;D

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 07:02:35 PM »
just got home from the park, had a good time, got my * handed to me for being so out of shape, and YES I got lost and YES I have issues ;D

First impression made a good one on me, the $4 entry fee and the woman telling me she'd lock me in at 5:30 caught me off guard, but it was my first vist after all. The set up reminded me alot of Markham park. Not the actual trails but how nice everything is maintained. The big difference I see is in parks like this the biking trails are a major attraction, and a feature of the parks along with camping and other activities instead of baseball fields. I love Carter but Always felt the fishing, biking, and hiking always play second fiddle to the baseball and soccer fields in the eyes of the county.
I didn't get to do bridges on account of me taking a few wrong turns, ok stop laughing. I started out with north creek, and it kicked my butt good. I found myself walking obsticles I would have flown across a year ago, I have a definate mental block now, that and I was stopping what seemed to be every 10 feet to catch my breath. It was a fun trail that I'll have to work up to to ride it through. Next I spent a bunch of time running around the river loop, actually all the rest of the time I had left. I..um...got confused by the bailout signs, I thought I took one but it led me right back into the longer portion of river loop, I did this like 2 or 3 times. When I finally got to the end I looked at the time and it was time to get going. While the loop didn't present any major challenges it was pretty fun for me.
I appreciate how well everything on the trails are marked, me getting lost was just a result of me being there the first time and reading the map wrong. I really like the maps with the "you are here" marks on them, it kept me from pulling out my hard copy every few minutes. I am really looking foward to getting my wind back and trying other trails out.

Advertisement: