Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Maxxis ignitor?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Maxxis ignitor?
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
hey guys, I'm currently running maxxis ignitors front and back. I've got a 2.35" up front and 2.2" out back I believe and the thing I'm noticing is unless I have them pumped up rock solid I tend to slide a lot. I can't run lower pressure or it feels like every turn I will lose my back end and my front slides a bit on every root. Is this normal? is it a trade off of having better climbing ability? should I put the bigger tire in the rear?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Maxxis ignitor?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
hey guys, I'm currently running maxxis ignitors front and back. I've got a 2.35" up front and 2.2" out back I believe and the thing I'm noticing is unless I have them pumped up rock solid I tend to slide a lot. I can't run lower pressure or it feels like every turn I will lose my back end and my front slides a bit on every root. Is this normal? is it a trade off of having better climbing ability? should I put the bigger tire in the rear?

I am running the same tires but 2.35 on both front and rear. I find with the bigger tire I can run them at 40psi and have great grip and they roll fast. I weigh 270lbs so that is what works for me. they are a lot better than the Kenda Nevegals I was running..

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
I agree I like them better then the kenda's and specialized I had before, just wish they wouldn't slide as much. I really need to get a tire guage, but my new rims use presta valves which I really don't like. I may here shortly drill them out so I can use standard tubes again.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »
also, if you like the Ignitors at the 2.35 size Jensen has the OE's again at $10 a tire. the are pull off's from pre-built bikes but are brand new with warranty..

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI289A02-Maxxis+Ignitor+Tire+Oe.aspx

to make your presta valve tubes into Schrader valves get these adapters..

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TU707Z00-Innovations+Brass+Presta+Valve+Adaptors.aspx

only .70 each

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:49:33 PM »
wow thats a heck of a deal. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do as of yet, I've had people suggest the small block 8 for my rear, but I'd hate to give up a tire that is barely broken in.
As far as the adapters go that would solve my issue for the pump and guage, but my problems go a bit deeper then that, I just don't like the presta set up, including the retaining ring that seems to come loose all the time. Since I've gotten these rims I've been through atleast 8 tubes in a short period. When I used my old rims with standard shraiders I went almost a year before I changed a tube out while riding most of carter a few times a week. has anyone had this kind of trouble?
those of you who are running 2 different tire widths, do you run the fatter one up front or out back?
Thanks guys

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Hi all ! If you have had that many flats since getting the rims , pull off the rim tape and check for burrs . Also , the new presta tube I just got has no locking ring as the stem is smooth with no threads . Never really saw the purpose of that little ring as schrader tubes dont have it .

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
Hi all ! If you have had that many flats since getting the rims , pull off the rim tape and check for burrs . Also , the new presta tube I just got has no locking ring as the stem is smooth with no threads . Never really saw the purpose of that little ring as schrader tubes dont have it .

it is mostly for presta tubes being used on tires being drilled for Schrader valves... holds them in place for the larger hole.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
wow thats a heck of a deal. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do as of yet, I've had people suggest the small block 8 for my rear, but I'd hate to give up a tire that is barely broken in.
As far as the adapters go that would solve my issue for the pump and guage, but my problems go a bit deeper then that, I just don't like the presta set up, including the retaining ring that seems to come loose all the time. Since I've gotten these rims I've been through atleast 8 tubes in a short period. When I used my old rims with standard shraiders I went almost a year before I changed a tube out while riding most of carter a few times a week. has anyone had this kind of trouble?
those of you who are running 2 different tire widths, do you run the fatter one up front or out back?
Thanks guys

Most who run 2 different tire sizes run the bigger tire up front and the smaller in the rear.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:54 AM »
All the more reason to use Stans.

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:16 AM »
Check to see where your tubes are getting flat... if you are getting "single hole" punctures on the inside of your tubes, then bradluke's advice is spot-on. If you getting punctures on the outside, then check the inside of your tire to make sure that something isn't still sticking through the tube.

Usually when you run a little lower pressure, you are less likely to slide out unless you are running too low (depending on your weight, too low could be under 25 or 30).

I'm 230 (ish) and I run 35 - 37 psi depending on the trail. If you dip pressure too low, you will start pinch flatting - also called a snake bite - two holes in the tube next to each other that look like, you guessed it, a snake bite...

As far as widths and tread pattern - you use your front tire more for control (braking and turning), so if you're mixing it up, you want the wider / grippy-er tire up front. You get better acceleration with a faster rolling rear tire, like a small block or kosmic lite.

Climbing will be a bit more challenging with a faster roller, but this has a lot more to do with technique and tire pressure. You want to keep your pedal stroke as smooth as possible (jerky pedalling just begs the rear end to break loose), and keep your weight over the rear tire just enough so that your front doesn't lift up. It is a balancing act...

Just a note... I was researching the Maxxis tires, as I really like to experiment, and I was thinking about the 2.2 ignitor up front and a 2.1 crossmark in the back. I have since, however, been talked into trying out the Kenda Kosmic Lites... we'll see...
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »
thanks for the replies guys, I checked my rims for burrs and defects after the first few flats but didn't find anything. Most of the flats were right around the valve and the ones that weren't didn't go flat fast and were actually leaking from the valves. It was almost like no matter what I did the valve leaked just a little bit. I took a file to the valve opening and smoothed it out but still had issues. It's been a while since I've had to change a tube now, but still think if I blow another tube I'm gonna drill them out for schraders.

Offline CarbonCavy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Rig: 08 Titus Racer X Carbon
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
All the more reason to use Stans.

I've run tubeless using Stans for over 1 year now and have yet to have an issue. I even pulled a one inch thorn out of my tire just before a ride...As the air started spewing out I simply turned the tire downward until I started seeing Stans come out, plugged it with my finger for a few seconds and voila, Stans sealed it!!! Pumped it back up to 30psi and within 15 minutes I was on the trail did 20 aggressive miles with no issue whatsoever! I ran this way free of issues for another 3 months riding between 2-4 times per week. Would have been longer but I bought new tires (from Nevagal to Ignitors).

They say "never say never," but I will never go back to tubes!!!
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul" - Gen. Douglass MacArthur

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 04:33:48 PM »
thanks for the replies guys, I checked my rims for burrs and defects after the first few flats but didn't find anything. Most of the flats were right around the valve and the ones that weren't didn't go flat fast and were actually leaking from the valves. It was almost like no matter what I did the valve leaked just a little bit. I took a file to the valve opening and smoothed it out but still had issues. It's been a while since I've had to change a tube now, but still think if I blow another tube I'm gonna drill them out for schraders.

You weren't overtightening the nuts that hold the valve stem in were ya? Those things aren't supposed to be tight at all, just enough to hold the valve stem when you put a pump on.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: