SWAMP Community Forums
February 04, 2008, 04:54:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Try our live Chat function.  Click the Chat menu button and wait for other users to enter the room.  Log in to the Forum to see the Chat button.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skinny or fat, which do you prefer?  (Read 710 times)
EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« on: February 12, 2007, 07:20:07 AM »

Being first year racers, going through all the different experiences of not only doing the races but all the  preparations and experiences that accompany the races and events has been as challenging as the races themselves. Where do you stay? Do you camp? What do you pack? What do you eat? How do you eat or hydrate(during the races/events)? How do you set up your bike? How are you getting there? These may seem like inconsequential little things to plan out, but they really have a big impact on how well you may perform and the overall cost of participating. Nothing is a better teacher than experience and having gone through the past events has allowed me and the Gebroni's to learn and grow and we have honed our preparations and race/event abilities so that we are considerably better than when we started.   Now the challenge is to continue to improve, try to chisel out any little advantage that may help. In preparation for the 12 Hours of Reddick, The Idster thought that switching to 1.9 tires would lighten his bike and make him faster in the tight stuff and acceleration. We rode the course on Saturday and now he's thinking that maybe the 1.9 is too small. The bike felt more squirrelly in the loose stuff and on the long loose rock climbs that Reddick has. I think that running the 1.9 on the rear and his normal 2.1 up front is the way to go. He will retain his familiar steering and handling up front and the rear isn't as important. It could also just be that he isn't familiar with the 1.9's and needs to adapt to the new tires.  For 80% of Reddick the 1.9's are a good fast tire to run. The remaining 20% could be a problem. What does you say? Is it too close to race day to make such a change?  The tires do feel fast and quick, but if you lose confidence in your handling, that can slow you down and counter the small gains you get. Since we are planning on winning this years event,  Grin , a mistake with the tires could be very costly.

" Not this time, Lance"
Kevan
Assistant Wheel Spinner
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »

Well, it sounds to me as though you answer your own question in the last few sentences. Confident = Winning chance

Cannondale Prophet 1000 (Blue)
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:39:27 AM »

Race prep is very important I've found out. The only racing I've been doing is the cross races(i'd like to change that), so i don't have the experience you guys do. But, I've found that being mentally prepared is just as important as the rest of your preps. If your thrashing around on the day of the race it distracts you from the race itself. With me and my four kids doing the race series it was very time consuming to clean and prep five bikes. I've resorted to having the kids help in bike preps. AT 13,12 10, and 7 they can only do so much. They can clean their bikes for the most part and my 13 and 12 year olds can do alot of the maintence. My oldest actually wanted to do his own bike by himself this last race and I let him while watching him with tips. I think it also teaches them respect for their bikes, how they function, how to fix problems during rides and races(no help in the races except for in the pits), and inspires confidence in their bikes and their abilities also. I start earlier in the week and try to have everything done, clothes laid out, tires, tubes, floorpump, tools, helmets,gloves,glasses, waterbottles, shoes, coolers loaded with food and drinks, goos,gels, beans, and power bars, and the water cooler clean and filled with cold water. The kids get to help with that also. Everything gets loaded into the trailer along with the bikes, covered and locked, the night before. That way all we have to do is get up, eat, get dressed, and go. That leaves just unloading, putting the front wheels on all bikes, checking tire pressures, handing out water bottles and helmets. While I'm doing this my wife gets us signed in, numbers pinned on( with the occasional pin prick (I think she does that to me on purpose), and our chairs set up, and ready to take pictures. You can concentrate on the race that way and everything goes alot smoother and is more enjoyable.   

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
eatdirt1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:04:35 AM »

good topic,for a minute there i though you were talking about wooman. Grin

LIVE THE RIDE
             RIDE THE DREAM!!!
eatdirt1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:16:14 AM »

ok,im mad right now, >:(i posted a reply,and i dont see it.i think when two people reply at the same time,it crashes.so i will try again. Grin
as i said before,buying tires is like buying clothe.what works for you,may not work for me.
i have had alot of issues buying different brands,and sizes,finally i kept,kendas nevegals tubless 2.1
i do must of my riding in oleta,and conditions there vary,it is very rooty,and rocky in places.
we dont have alot of elevation,but thats south florida.good luck in reddick.

LIVE THE RIDE
             RIDE THE DREAM!!!
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:57:26 AM »

good topic,for a minute there i though you were talking about wooman. Grin

i thought that too and i was going to say i prefer fat women over skinny - they always seem to get along with me better and are way less high maintenence.  me being a fat man i like to eat and it makes me feel bad when i go out to eat with one of these skinny gals and she pecks at a salad and i am ooking down at my HUGE carb loaded meal i just ordered...anyway i back to the tire thing....confidence that a bigger tire gets you will greatly outweigh any small advantage that you get when rolling on the flat sections(there are not many flat sections at all at Razorback either)

my .02 cents

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »

Thats okay I thought you meant that women were high maintence. I bet this gets me in trouble. Sorry ladies, nothing personal. My wife tells me i'm high maintnence.

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »

i am uber hypocritical because i too am way too high maintence as well .... lol

EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 03:19:50 PM »

Kevan - the tire issue is for the Idster. I think the confidance is the ticket,plus you don't want to be messing with your bike unless you have time to work out the kinks or get used to it. I think he should go with his normal tire up front and the skinny in the back. Sucks that he bought two but he will use them eventually. He was complaining about it on Saturday.  FactorE - i wouldn't say your fat, a little overweight  keep riding and it will be disapear in no time. Eliminate the soda and junk and some beer if you drink alot, from your diet to really drop the weight.  Good to meet you on Saturday. Come up for the 12 Hour.  Ken- thats a lot of prep to do the races. The trailer helps out, making it easier to keep things together. A race trailer would be nice to have. Keep all the spare parts and bikes, food and water  and camping gear. Might have to think about that for next year.  Eatdirt1 - I got some Kenda's (kosmik lite 2's)last fall and really like them. They hook up on the climbs and are fast. 480 grams!

" Not this time, Lance"
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »

You ought to see us coming to the Fat Tire Festival. WE look like the Beverly hillbillies traveling. WE're the one's with the Corona campsite and huge screenhouse.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: