Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: WTA 50 Come get some milage!!!  (Read 932 times)

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
WTA 50 Come get some milage!!!
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
Some folks who haven't done it before ask what to expect.

Well, it's a 50 mile adventure in our own backyard, Wilderness Trails, on Saturday, January 9, 2010 at 9:00 a.m.; that is if you live in and near the Tampa Bay area.

Also, it's free to club members, and a $20 donation to SWAMP if you're not. (Applies directly to your very own club membership! Our membership dollars go to trail maintenance, tools, signs, maps, etc.)

It starts, at 9:00 a.m. in the Trout Creek Parking lot and consists of two laps through the 25 miles of trails that make up the three connected parks of Wilderness Trails - Trout Creek, Morris Bridge and FLatwoods.  The first lap in one direction, then a stop back at TC parking to sign your time in, refuel or whatever, then a second lap in the opposite direction, sign in again at TC parking that you finished. Have a group picnic get together at the end to share stories of the day.  You provide your own beverages/picnic/lunch/crackers/or ice cream; what ever floats your boat.  Team up with friends or make new ones and make a day of it. 

There will be a sign up sheet in the parking lot with your name on it for you to write down your start and stop time of each lap and a place to mark down total time.  That way no short cutting, you have to do the whole 50!  Something fun to do with others for bragging rights of finishing 1 minute or 10 minutes sooner. :-)  BUT, your miles have to add up to 50 or you have to serve food and beverage to everyone else.  Okay, so you can be exempt from that if you choose,
at the start, to only do one lap.

Oh yeah, there will be a handout map FOR REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS with arrows and instructions of what direction to take on the trails for two reasons. 
1) To not do any head-ons with others doing the same thing.
2) To get your 50 miles on the trails as laid out and pick up a couple of abandoned trails to be used just for this one day event.

It's been fun in the past, and even difficult to accomplish, I don't care what anyone says.

You will be responsible for yourself on the trail and getting back.  You will bring tools, water, nutrition, flat repair, etc. for 50 miles of off-road riding to see that YOUR needs are taken care of.  Hence - self SAG.

Most of all have fun with it with friends and even meet new ones and explore the entire trail system.

Garry

*** Need to send a note to Gary advising if you will be there.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: WTA 50 Come get some milage!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
I am planning on doing the Ididaride and am curious to give a trial run.  If I am interested, do I just send Gary a p.m.?
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »
I just replied to one of the emails he sent out with an "RSVP for one." Didn't get a response but didn't figure I needed one either since it's self-sag.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:17 AM »
Yup! Just send him a note.

"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
I am in, got my COLD weather gear ready.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Advertisement: