Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Idaride help  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Idaride help
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
I will be doing the Ididaride on the 23rd and I need some help from those that have done it or ridden the course.  I was originally going to take my RIP9, but now I am thinking of taking the SS.  I did about 20 miles at Trout Creek today on it and felt great.  I am not trying to make it MORE difficult or prove anything.  Actually, I am thinking it might be easier.  My SS is just over 24 lbs. and the RIP is closer to 29.  I am thinking the better efficiency and lighter weight of the hardtail will make it easier.  The big question is, how smooth are the trails for the Ididaride?  Are they like "Grandpa" or more like "Panther"?  Thanks for any help.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: Idaride help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
I will be doing the Ididaride on the 23rd and I need some help from those that have done it or ridden the course.  I was originally going to take my RIP9, but now I am thinking of taking the SS.  I did about 20 miles at Trout Creek today on it and felt great.  I am not trying to make it MORE difficult or prove anything.  Actually, I am thinking it might be easier.  My SS is just over 24 lbs. and the RIP is closer to 29.  I am thinking the better efficiency and lighter weight of the hardtail will make it easier.  The big question is, how smooth are the trails for the Ididaride?  Are they like "Grandpa" or more like "Panther"?  Thanks for any help.

Those who all soon forget will tell you that the trails are anywhere like either of those.  BUt the truth is, it is pretty diverse.  There is some pavement in there, figure that.. There is some rooty twisty, figure that,  BUt there are also some big climbs back there.  Not alot, but they all seem to come at the right time...

So 29er SS 18
26er SS 16 is my recommend.  Get up and grind it out!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, and I am running 32x18 on my HT 29er

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
Coach... you still plan on camping the night before? Im riding this one and trying to get an idea of what places are open to stay at. PM me with any info you have on this campsite.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
Coach,
You will be fine with the SS and I do recommend it.  Actually, what I recommend the most is the Friday night swamp party along with the Saturday bon fire.  The two main reasons I would return to do this ride if I ever do.  Karlos described it just right.  There are some twisty but not too rooty trails, there are some climbs but I think I only remember two but very short.  There is a ton of double track (ala boyette style), there is some pavement.  Other then the double track and pavement, the trails are a bit more like Misery.  Some good Grampa single track, very very little or none like Panther.  Maybe a little short trails like Techno pick.  ONE nasty drop somewhat like dropping with Gator Pit with stair type drops but they make you walk it.  It is mandatory.  LOL... Enjoy the ride.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »
Lots of beautiful double track thru the state forests surrounding the area. Some nice single track in the begining with small 3 and 4 foot rolling climbs and decents, you also hit this section of trail coming in. Similar trail along the Suwannee toward the end of the ride, before hitting the afore mentioned piece you ride coming and going. A few miles of pavement. A short section that is San Felascoish about 3/4 of the way thru. I really enjoyed this ride last year, you will have a blast on either bike :)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Thanks for ALL the responses.  I think I am going to SS it.  One other question.  Is it out 25 then back the same or a loop???  Thanks again.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »
You repeat some but not all.  You go around to like three separate parks.  The most memorable is the river single track.  Definitely worth a stop to check out the waterfalls roar if the river has water.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »
I submitted a reservation form for the campground months ago but I never any confirmation. Did anyone get a confirmed reservation?
Will anyone possibly have room on their space for a small tent if I didn't get a space. I'm definitely not bringing the big tent in January.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
I would guesstimate it to be around 5 or 6 miles of trail that you repeat. It is fast flowy singletrak with some small elevation changes, very fun stuff :) The rest of the ride was all virgin trail :) I think I read in the flyer for this years ride that there will be some new trail as well.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
There should be an available site.  I bailed on camping to motel it!  I know I'm soft, but I'm gonna have to get SOME sleep to do 50.  Glad to here that there isn't much re-run trail riding.  I am looking forward to it.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Good information.  I was thinking about taking my rigid SS 29er vs. my geared hardtail 29er.  Think I may go with the rigid.  Currently running 32x18 gearing which seems to work everywhere but the flat/fast parts (i.e. 2-mile ride into Boyette). 

See you guys up there in a couple weeks.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »
Forecast calls for 72 and cloudy :)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
I am happy that it won't be disgustingly cold...but damnit I just bought a bunch of cold weather gear for the event.  Good thing it hardly ever gets cold in FL.  This crap should last me pretty much forever.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
Alan...

I have done the Ididaride more times then I can remember, and it has never NOT been cold...

SO FYI, let's not count the chickens before the eggs hatch or something like that.

Advertisement: