Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Car guys  (Read 4649 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Car guys
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
I noticed MK that you liked turbo rides and so do I. I thought i would start a thread for everyone to show their rides! This is what I was building this last year that helped me get into some bad fitness< but it was worth it. BillT, i know you have a fun car! 

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
Re: Car guys
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
BillT and I have the same car - Subaru WRX wagon. Mines mostly stock and not worth pics. BillT's is modded. I used to drive a modded integra GSR but ran it into the ground and gave it away when the block started leaking oil and with 240,000 miles on the odo.

sweet Z chiz - is that at daytona?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »
Thanks! yep, at this years Turkey Rod Run. I like the WRX's . there are so many mods for them. My next stage of the build is to put an RB25DET in it.I am looking for a 10 second street car.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
Not much of a car guy but that Z is sweet!
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
you need a close up pic under the hood of all the sweet fittings from ACE! ;) 

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
Give us the details!

My WRX is only mildly modded - got rid of the uppipe cat, did an axle-back exhaust, and then did solid end-links and a stiffer rear sway...and then I said I'm not dropping any more money in the car outside of maintenance.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
Nice Z!  I am a sucker for old turbo'd cars. 

Here is a photo of my old '86 SVO.  Certainly not the fastest car I have owned but by far one of the most fun.  Had to sell it about 6 years ago when I got laid off.  I really miss this car and vow to own another one...although SVOs in this shape are few and far between for a reasonable price.  By the time I have the room and finances there probably won't be any affordable and nice SVOs left out there. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
Oddly this is the only pic I have of my car. I need to get some more.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »
Oddly this is the only pic I have of my car. I need to get some more.

From the looks of the smoke coming out the tailpipe, youd better check your oil :-X

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »
Alan, your SVO is getting very collectable now. 8)   SFG,do you ever do any auto x,that is my next plan. What about you Bill? any auto x? It would be fun to get a group to go do it one weekend. :)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 06:34:16 AM »
Give us the details!

My WRX is only mildly modded - got rid of the uppipe cat, did an axle-back exhaust, and then did solid end-links and a stiffer rear sway...and then I said I'm not dropping any more money in the car outside of maintenance.
Well bill, I pulled everything off the car as far as suspension and chasi components go.  Then i put some fresh undercoating on it.

Coilovers, bigger sway bars, caster camber plates, 17 inch wheels, falken rt615 tires, four wheel disc brakes,  drilled slotted rotors, braided lines, all new bearings, tie rods etc..  poly bushings,   quick steer couplings, lsd diff,  headers,  big bore throttle body.
besides keeping me off my bike it also killed my wallet!! :'(   but its done  FOR NOW!!!! ;)

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
I had ideas to do some auto-x and track day events but the rest of my life caught up to me and I don't have time to do those kind of things now and still bike.

My brother is big into restoring British sports cars for the 60's to the early 80's.  He mostly does Triumps and is current building up a Triumph TR8 (2 seater convertible 8 cyclinder) - he putting fuel injection on it and having the one of the Chevy guys that designed either the current ZR-1 or Z06 engine rebuild and hot rod the engine for him (it pays to have great connections in Detroit).
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:08:12 AM »
Alan, your SVO is getting very collectable now. 8)   SFG,do you ever do any auto x,that is my next plan. What about you Bill? any auto x? It would be fun to get a group to go do it one weekend. :)

No, never got into the auto x. I'd have to change some stuff around to do any good at that. Mostly I don't have enough time for all my hobbies as it is now, hard to add another.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
i did some autox up in Jacksonville when my integra was new - LOTS OF FUN, even if i never left 2nd gear. I also did a bunch of test n tune nights at the gainesville dragstrip - that was also TONS OF FUN!! cars rule.

someone on this forum that has a 22lb. FS bike also has experience with TURBOs...
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »
I will dig up some pics of my other money pit...

1970 Nova SS (Original 396 car, M-22 four speed, with original 12 bolt rear). The original power train is still in original condition.

Current condition of the car:

Full frame rails, 12 point cage, Mosier 9 inch running 10.5 x 28 inch slicks, Mini-tubs, 421 c.i. Shafiroff short block, AFR heads, Wilson intake, massively massaged King Dominator carb, Fairbanks TH-400 with 8 inch COAN Stall Converter, Trans Brake, Wildwood brakes, 5 Gallon Fuel Cell, nothing but throttle.

The only fiberglass on the car is the hood. Still running full interior (back seat) door panels, glass rolls up and down and the horn works.

Car ran a best of 10.228 @ 132.34 mph with a short time of 1.41 at Gainesville Raceway.

More mods are forth coming... :)

Even with all of the things done, I can still put this car back to factory original condition.

Here she is, in the water box, at G'ville Raceway.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Advertisement: