Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hear Ye... Hear Ye...  (Read 2430 times)

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
Hear Ye... Hear Ye...
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
Ahem!

Be it known... the HH6 has given me the "green light" to save for my next mount. It will be, a SS in the  29'er variety.

This is the top runner for my hard earned money. Retail is just shy of 12 bills...

What say ye?

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/hardtails/dragon/10_dragonone.html

The reason I am drawn to the Jamis Dragon, is I have a Dragon, 26'er HT, 2001 vintage... that I cut my teeth on. This answers my pull to the SS tribe, and sticks with what I know.

I am open to counsel here. Some of you are WAY more versed on this topic than myself... so, lets hear it. Can I do better for my money? Is this a decent bike?

Thanks in advance mates!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Hear Ye... Hear Ye...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
Hmmmm. 29er, i am out, did not like the one i had and IF I ever buy another will be Geared and Full Suspension... Oh, and I am way too Un-Cool to go SS....

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
I've been wanting a Single Speed since before they were COOL. I hearken the days I converted my old Schwinn to some fat tires I found, and used to ride the ditches.

I'm 29'er curious... so... why not a 29'er Single Speed? I'm a glutton for punishment.

Besides... after seeing John ride Bridges on a UNI-cycle... I have zero excuse. I can't justify a new dually, and I already have an old Dragon HT geared 26'er... keeping her around for nostalgia. Specialized wants way too much money for their Stumpy 29'er SS... so, I'm up for suggestions. I could always just by a Sette frame, and put very good bits on it...
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »
a lot of people like the Redline monocogs...

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at the MC.. but, at $500 bucks, how sturdy are they? I'm still researching.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at the MC.. but, at $500 bucks, how sturdy are they? I'm still researching.

AJ's carries them so you can check them out. Plus Darrin and Dave (the owners) will hook you up... Ask Chisel..

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
Kilted One
Did you look into the Surly karate monkey. My friend ken just got one.. He loves it... 950.00 delivered to your door.

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Thanks Brother... I will check into that!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:50:44 AM »
Kilt, What are your goals for riding a ss. I have one i use to ride pretty often, and it made me strong when i rode it a lot. Now i just use it for BMX. Whatever 29'ER you get i would suggest you get one that you can put a rear deraileur on. A 29'ER geared race bike is very attractive to me. Man! i need mo money! ;)  One more thing. if you like to jump a lot of obstacles on the trail you might not want those big wheels. A guy i ride with bought one last year and said it was not stable in the air, and he is the knarliest trail rider i have ever encountered. If you just want flowing speed i think it would be a good move! 8)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
DO IT....... Looks like alot of fun. I guess many people think of this as their only bike and they dont want one. Since you already have a FS26er why not get this? There are many days when you just want to go on a FUN ride with no expectations. I love my 29er though it is geared. I wouldnt mind a SS as a fun bike either.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »
I very much enjoyed my GF 29'r SS but it just wasn't all that fun to ride by myself. Friends who seemed on board bailed out when they realized that SS were not free.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »

I will have had my Monocog for 2 years this March.  Not one single issue.  Never even had to true the wheels.  My average weight is around 210 with gear and I have taken it down pretty much every trail the area has to offer. 

Try out the Monocog.  If you love it but don't want to run rigid you can always find a new REBA fork on Ebay for around $300. 

I also think someone is selling a used Monocog on here...I forget his name.  He had some upgrades on it and it was a really good deal.

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
Ok Gents... (and I use that term VERY losely in THIS crowd... ;D )

My reasoning for a SS bike.

1. I have a very good FS 26'er already... that I have spent many hours on, and love it. I have been puttng $$ into it lately, updating the suspension, chain line, brakes, etc... so, since I like how it rides, it will serve me well for many years to come as my "go to" bike.

2. I have wanted a SS since they first started showing up a few years ago. I would say, since 2002... but have never really been in a position to do it.

3. I want this to make me focus on my lines, pedal efficiency, and just to hone me as a rider. I have a Hard Tail (geared) 26'er, but it is a 2001 vintage, and I keep it around, simply for nostalgia reasons.

4. This will be my "play" bike, so to speak. I am not a jumper, and not even what I would classify as a competitive rider. However, it would be nice to throw this SS on my rack, head out to Alafia, and try to ride it the way I ride my FS bike. It would also be a fun bike to ride if it's muddy or wet. Since there are less moving parts, it would be a bit easier to maintain.

5. I want a good frame. I love my old Jamis Dragon. The Reynolds tubing is VERY sweet... I can only imagine that this Jamis Dragin frame would retain some of the ride properties of my 26'er.

6.The $1K mark is do-able on my budget, down the line. I don't know much about SS choices, but Jamis has a reputation of spec'ing out bikes very solidly. I don't know much about the Fork on this bike, but it has rebound / compression damping, which is important to me. I'm sure, later down the line, I would stick a FOX on it... but I would ride the snot out of it the way it comes.

7. SS are just way too cool. I know when I see someone riding one, and they are making it up climbs / cleaning areas that gives geared riders fits, it brings a smile to my face. Seeing someone clear sections on a UNI cycle, well... that makes me just tuck my tail and whimper off...

So, there ya have it. It's reasonable, and I just wanted to have someone in the "know" take a look at that Jamis, and let me know if it would be a good platform to start on... or should I just buy a frame and go piece by piece...

Thanks Mates!

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »

I will have had my Monocog for 2 years this March.  Not one single issue.  Never even had to true the wheels.  My average weight is around 210 with gear and I have taken it down pretty much every trail the area has to offer. 

Try out the Monocog.  If you love it but don't want to run rigid you can always find a new REBA fork on Ebay for around $300. 

I also think someone is selling a used Monocog on here...I forget his name.  He had some upgrades on it and it was a really good deal.

Alan,

I remember when the Monocog's first came out. I wanted to get one of them then... I will most definitely look into them. As I said... I am just looking for discussion, and advice. I was looking at the Jamis, because it fits my budget, and I know how the Dragon rides in the 26 inch variety.

However, the MC is even more reasonable, and would quite certainly fit my needs.

Advertisement: