Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike Shopping...  (Read 3580 times)

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
Bike Shopping...
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
I've never seen a dead horse I didn't want to beat, so I'm asking a question that looks like it has been covered extensively on here. I have ridden on and off for about 3 years mostly at WTA. I have recently purchased a home in Riverview that puts me much closer to Boyette and Alafia so that is where I will ride. I have more free time so I am able to ride several times a week, as opposed to once or twice a month before.  As I am getting accustomed to the more technical trails I am realizing it may be time for a new bike, mostly because I would like something full suspension that I can become a better rider on. As a side note I am 26years old, 6'1" and ~180lbs...if that makes a difference.

My budget is $1,800, but I think I can talk the finance manager into an even $2k.
I realize my top priority should be test riding everything in sight and I will do this over the coming days.

I would like to know if shops are generally flexible on pricing, including current model year, or if they can only negotiate on prior years inventory.
Secondly I would like your opinions on what to look at (knowing from the 100 other similar posts that AJ's has Trance's on sale, Stumpjumpers are a popular choice but likely just out of my price range, and to look at Fuel EX's and Fishers)

Thanks for fielding the same questiong for the thousandth time on here. ( I did read through some of the others before posting, but was hoping for some specifics and insight into current deals)

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: Bike Shopping...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
Depends.

If you got Cash in hand, you can wheel and deal.  Last years models especially.

As far as bikes.  AT that price Range the Frames are about the same.  What you want to look at is the components.  Thats what seperates the quality of one bike over another. 

For Shimano, LX, XT or XTR are the key things to listen for.

For Sram X9 X0 are the highest ends on that spectrum.

Forks, Rock Shox, manitou, white brothers, FOX are the ones to listen for.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
check out lakelandtrek.com, new Trek and GF older year models at pretty good discounts, but I haven't heard much good about guy that runs the place.  it was worth the drive for me to save about $800 on a GF Supercaliber

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I bought my last bike at Bikeworks in Brandon/Riverview and really did like the people there. I have noticed they are a little bit more road oriented and don't have a large selection to test ride. I've bought a few items at AJ's also and did appreciate their customer service. Service is a big selling point for me at this time since I am still learning. I would like to be able to take it back somewhere with helpful employees.

I will probably avoid Lakeland Trek based solely on the posts I've seen about their customer service. Good to see their site though as their prices can always be used in negotiations elsewhere.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »
University bike center on Fletcher is another good source to check out, they carry Specialized, Cannondale and Scott to name a few. The Scott lineup is worth looking at, very popular in the XC circles :)

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
University bike center on Fletcher is another good source to check out, they carry Specialized, Cannondale and Scott to name a few. The Scott lineup is worth looking at, very popular in the XC circles :)

It is SCOTT but did you see his budget.  He only has 2k.

http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/8281/44689/spark_rc
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:51:21 PM by Singletrack Samurai »

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
I've never seen a dead horse I didn't want to beat, so I'm asking a question that looks like it has been covered extensively on here. I have ridden on and off for about 3 years mostly at WTA. I have recently purchased a home in Riverview that puts me much closer to Boyette and Alafia so that is where I will ride. I have more free time so I am able to ride several times a week, as opposed to once or twice a month before.  As I am getting accustomed to the more technical trails I am realizing it may be time for a new bike, mostly because I would like something full suspension that I can become a better rider on. As a side note I am 26years old, 6'1" and ~180lbs...if that makes a difference.

My budget is $1,800, but I think I can talk the finance manager into an even $2k.
I realize my top priority should be test riding everything in sight and I will do this over the coming days.

I would like to know if shops are generally flexible on pricing, including current model year, or if they can only negotiate on prior years inventory.
Secondly I would like your opinions on what to look at (knowing from the 100 other similar posts that AJ's has Trance's on sale, Stumpjumpers are a popular choice but likely just out of my price range, and to look at Fuel EX's and Fishers)

Thanks for fielding the same questiong for the thousandth time on here. ( I did read through some of the others before posting, but was hoping for some specifics and insight into current deals)

My $2.2K recommendation within that budget(might as well go 2010):
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=46578&eid=4950&menuItemId=9248

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Easy choice if faced with that kind of budget.

Use the link below, decide if you want 6" travel or 4". If Alafia and Boyette are your main ride areas. Get the Flite with 6" travel ( size large for you ) and be happy!

http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/22-Sette_Products-856-Bikes-False.htm

* At that price level it will not be the lightest 6" travel bike, but it does work well.

If you want a test ride on a large Flite, let me know I have a bud who purchased the frame and shock to replace his twice broken GIANT frame.

"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »
PEB - I did want to test a SJ, but fear it is just out of reach. With cash in hand do you know if a dealer, most likely AJ's due to their reputation and proximity, would be willining to negotiate or is this off limits on a new bike?

RRP - I do appreciate the components on those bikes and know they have a great reputation but I am more inclined to use a local bike shop. I am willing to get a little bit less bike knowing I can speak to the guy that sold it to me face to face. This is mostly due to my lack of experience and belief that I will have problems at some point.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I am at least a little further along.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »
True, in that case shop all the local guys.

Good luck!
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
PEB - I did want to test a SJ, but fear it is just out of reach. With cash in hand do you know if a dealer, most likely AJ's due to their reputation and proximity, would be willining to negotiate or is this off limits on a new bike?

RRP - I do appreciate the components on those bikes and know they have a great reputation but I am more inclined to use a local bike shop. I am willing to get a little bit less bike knowing I can speak to the guy that sold it to me face to face. This is mostly due to my lack of experience and belief that I will have problems at some point.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I am at least a little further along.

Bike shops are like Car dealers, Money in hand talks and BS Walks, by all means try a couple of different ones. if you like, i can point you the right way and save you some $$$ on the 2010 stumpy FSR.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I bought my last bike at Bikeworks in Brandon/Riverview and really did like the people there. I have noticed they are a little bit more road oriented and don't have a large selection to test ride. I've bought a few items at AJ's also and did appreciate their customer service. Service is a big selling point for me at this time since I am still learning. I would like to be able to take it back somewhere with helpful employees.

I will probably avoid Lakeland Trek based solely on the posts I've seen about their customer service. Good to see their site though as their prices can always be used in negotiations elsewhere.

Bike Works is where I bought my '09 Paragon about 6 or so months ago.  I got it for about $500 under MSRP and they are going even cheaper now if you can find them.  Cap sold the place and they are now strictly road/tri bikes.  New owners are real nice though.

Check out Just Ride Bicycles over on Boyette Road.  I was in there buying a seat this week and I swear I saw a Gary Fisher HiFi or two.  Carrollwood Bike Emporium also had a few bikes on clearance when I was in there a few months back.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »

It is SCOTT but did you see his budget.  He only has 2k.

http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/8281/44689/spark_rc

You can get a Scott for his budget, just not full X.0. or XTR. Check out the Spark 30 or 40. I think this applies to any of the brands he will be looking at, same frame different level of spec. Start with a solid frame and fork, drive train can be added cheaply when the time comes :)

Advertisement: