SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
Advanced search  

News:

Boyette Scrub Preserve Trail Map available.
Check the Boyette Trail Maps section.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAND new guy looking to get started  (Read 551 times)

Colin540

• First Bike
BRAND new guy looking to get started
« on: February 06, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »

Hi everyone,
I recently learned of your club and I am just starting out in off-road cycling...as in I have no bike yet. I am 6'6, 230# and don't know where to start with bikes. I'm looking to get into trail riding for recreation and to help stay active, as a lifetime of sports has made it harder for me to run these days. Unfortunately I can't afford more than a couple hundred right now, so I guess something used is what I need? I am just looking for some input and I appreciate your time!
Thanks!

Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: BRAND new guy looking to get started
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

At your height, you are obviously looking for an extra large frame. I am 6'4 and this was good for me. There is an xl rockhopper in the for sale section that could work for you to get started on. Avoid anything lower spec than that, or it will not stand up to much off road with a big rider. Good luck.

Colin540

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »

Ok cool. Where's the For Sale section?
I went in a bike store the other day and they were recommending Diamondback. Is that worth getting?

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »

XL may still feel small to you. I ride an XL and only clock in at 6'1". You might have to swap some components around to get the *pit right for your height. The important number for you when sizing frames is the ETT (effective top tube), that's an imaginary line drawn from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat post. Frames are sized by the distance from the bottom bracket to the top tube but realistically that measurement doesn't matter so long as you can comfortably straddle the frame (you won't have a problem on any frame that's not a custom built monstrosity at your height). The important thing is the ability to locate the bars in a comfortable position which is why getting the top tube is the most important thing. If you have to use a ridiculously long stem to make a too small frame fit you'll compromise handling.

It's better to buy used than buy cheap. A new bike with cheap components is not a good bike. If you can afford a new quality bike then that's even better because it will come with a warranty and support from your LBS (local bike shop).

I'm not sure what shops around here carry Diamondback (none that I can think of except the 'sports stores'). The brand makes some good bikes on the high end but they also make a lot of junk bikes that are sold through places like Sports Authority and Dicks. They're perfectly serviceable bikes for casual rides and rail trails but they will fail when repeatedly subjected to the stresses of off-road riding especially with a heavier rider. Don't buy from Sports Authority or Dicks. Your money will go a lot farther on the used market or if you really want new the Sette bikes from Pricepoint.com are good quality with good components or bikesdirect.com which has decent frames but typically much better components that you could get elsewhere for the money (they do go cheap on the stuff you don't look at like the bottom bracket and the bars,stem,seatpost,etc but it's usually just heavy not unreliable). But if you order one it would be good to find someone who knows how to tune it up. Anyone with decent mechanical aptitude can put it together but there are lots of little tips and tricks for setting it up that aren't straightforward or obvious.

edit : *pit = c0ckpit, stupid censoring. I like how 'Dicks' doesn't get censored though.

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »

Friend of mine put lots of miles on an Ironhorse from Dicks. The only thing that went wrong with it was the bottom bracket and Ironhorse sent him a new one free of charge. No issues since then and at the time I think he was in the 220-230 range.

I have another friend who started out on a Diamond Back from Sports Authority. He has at least 4 very hard/abusive years on that bike.

My point is...there is nothing wrong with the "higher end" MTB sold at retail sports stores. Many have the exact same components as your lower end $400-500 Specialized or Trek. 

Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »

Friend of mine put lots of miles on an Ironhorse from Dicks. The only thing that went wrong with it was the bottom bracket and Ironhorse sent him a new one free of charge. No issues since then and at the time I think he was in the 220-230 range.

I have another friend who started out on a Diamond Back from Sports Authority. He has at least 4 very hard/abusive years on that bike.

My point is...there is nothing wrong with the "higher end" MTB sold at retail sports stores. Many have the exact same components as your lower end $400-500 Specialized or Trek. 

Too bad Ironhorse is out of business :) ... Starting out on a good Used bike or higher end big box store bike is OK to see if this sport is for you. When you get hooked, and you will, you will want to look at buying a good quality bike from a local shop that will service what they sell.
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:09 AM »

Colin, take a look at this bike on CLhttp://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/1591835780.html

kieran

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Giant Trance X2
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »

If Alafia trail park or Boyette are within your reach, there is a great bike shop nearby (15 mins away) named AJs Bikes where you can rent bikes to try them out to see what works for you. If you buy within 90 days, the rent is credited against your purchase. They have some nice used bikes. In fact a friend of mine just traded in a two-month old 2010 Specialized RockHopper Comp. He bought it brand new for ~ $1000 two months ago at Chainwheel Drive in Palm Harbor. AJs have a sticker price of $675 on it if that is something in your price range!

kieran

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Giant Trance X2
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »

I forgot to post the ajs website URL. Here it is:
http://ajsbikesandboards.com/

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »

anyone who comes to this site rides away on a Giant. calling it.

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »

Giant SUCKZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »

Giant SUCKZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D

TITUS RULEZZZZ!!!! Wait, that's not right!!!!!

jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
  • My Bike: Salsa El Santo
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »

Unfortunately I can't afford more than a couple hundred right now

Also consider that many bike shops offer payment plans (with approved credit) for bike purchases.  6 or 12 months interest free may be just the thing to get you into something nice and new, if you can swing the monthly nut...just sayin...

I believe University Bikes in Tampa does financing, and Trek dealers offer it thru a Trek card.  Don't know about AJ's.

Jim
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »

Bicycle financing?  It doesn't suprise me, but they really have that crap? 

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »

Bicycle financing?  It doesn't suprise me, but they really have that crap?

They have it for TV's why not Bikes. Why spend your own money when you can get 12 months no interest. And yes A.J.'s has it :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 25 queries.