Author Topic: congrats to Factore...  (Read 1182 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
congrats to Factore...
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
Second place today in a cat 4 road race with a photo finish against first! 8)  Good job man!

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Re: congrats to Factore...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
yee yeah!

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 07:21:55 AM »
Great job Jonathon! You are my favorite roadie ex-mountain biker!  ;D 
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:41:52 AM »
Nice job!
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »
Congrats FE
You give us old fat guys hope and inspiration..

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
Indeed, totally awesome, How bout a blow by blow account, make it interesting for those of us who will never roadee race.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
Week 1 of the roadie races were eye opening.  I got moved up to cat 4 the week before the points season started.  Saturday was my first cat 4 crit - it was pouring rain.  I was on a decent position - around 8th place with 2 laps to go and was feeling good.  I got lined up behind a good teams sprinter and was going to follow them to the line and get a top 5 finish (this was the thought in my head)  on the last lap our line got boxed out and was in like 40th place - I mentally just let go and had to regroup with 2 turns to go - I hammered solo past some people and ended up with a very disappointing 29th place. 

Sunday of the Deland series was a road race.  I did better at this race.  My job was to lead out one of our sprinters.  I chased down attacks and bridged a few gaps and did some work up front to try and chase down a break away of 4 (we never chased them down)  so the last lap I sat back found my sprinter.  I buried myself leading him out for the field sprint and was still able to roll across the line in 27th place.

Saturday - Cat 4 Individual Time Trial - result 2nd place:

This was my first ITT so I didn't know what to expect.  it was a 9.2 mile course.  The wind was blowing 15-16 mph with gusts up to 20 MPH.  It was a out and back course that ran west to east the back.  The wind was out of the west so that meant a big tail wind on the way out.  I knew I had to concentrate and push hard even with wind at my back to make up for time I would lose against the wind.  My ave speed at the turn around was 31.3 MPH.  I was going faster than expected and the tricky U-Turn on the TT bike (you saw the pro's crashing them in the tour) I had to un-clip and foot check to not fall.  The wind being a side wind during the U-Turn was even more tricky with disc wheels.  So I got my rhythm on the way back and was able to maintain around 21MPH against the wind.  I came across the line with an overall ave speed of 25 MPH.  Let me tell you that a ITT is the hardest race mentally.  I fought with myself the whole time (am I going to fast..can I keep this up...am I going to slow...it was a mental tug-o-war)  I missed was 19 seconds off first place.  I am happy with the result and this gave me a lot of confidence going in to the Sunday crit.  I now know I have the cycling speed and endurance to keep up with the cat 4 guys (my time was actually fast enough to get a top 10 in the cat 3 ITT)

Sunday - Cat 4 crit - result 2nd place

the course is basically 2 long drag races with a U-Turn at each end...easy enough..well one end was a brick road with missing bricks...so doing a U-Turn at 27 MPH on bricks can lend itself to some excitement. 

a crit (short for criterium) is a closed circuit race (basically nascar on a bike)  it is fun for the fans to watch because you can watch the entire race. 

I pull up to the start line/staging area and get ready to go when a race official points out I have a staple in my tire...I panic because I dont have a spare set of wheels there.  luckily a team that just finished his race was there and snatched a wheel off and gave it to me.  I got to the line with wheel on just as they blew the start whistle.  I was DFL for 2 laps trying to regain my composure and get my heart rate down from the excitement.  It was a super tight course and I had to work my way up through traffic very carefully.  I got settled in to about 10th place and road there letting some other riders do the work out front.  we got the 3 laps to go signal and I noticed that the guy that beat me in the ITT was in 2nd place.  I moved up and tucked in behind him.  On the last turn of the next to last lap he went by the leader with me in tow.  He tucked down and ramped the pace up to the high 20s we hit turn 1/2 (the brick turns going way faster than earlier times in the race and I almost lost it) I gathered my self up and stayed behind him - we hit 32 down the back stretch and I could feel an anxious peloton moving up on our left - I was not going to get boxed in again so I made a split second choice to get out from behind him and slide over to the left - this move worked as it blocked a line of about 20 riders that would have sling shotted around us from the draft. before the guy in 3rd could move up behind the guy in front I slid back over - just as we hit the final turn.  We got to that turn faster than I thought and I didnt do a little brake check to set myself up for it.  I drifted slightly and scrubbed speed and he got a 15 meter gap going into the sprint.  He was 15 meters ahead and because he didn't scrub speed was going 2-3 MPH faster than me.  I got on the gas and was closing on him with about 40 meters to go I caught his draft and it shot me around him right as we got to the finish line.  We both threw our bikes at the line and I just ran out of real estate.  I lost the race by 16/1000 of a second - that is what you call CLOSE.

next week is a florida cup race out at san antonio both saturday and sunday - if you want to watch some good road racing action come out.  road race on saturday and crit on sunday - the crit is the most fun to watch

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »
Nice commentary Fe... We need video of these races... Great job again!
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »
here is a look at the rough road

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
Good job dude. Sounds exciting.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
here is a look at the rough road

hey - downtown gainesville, right? did you go to dragonfly sushi afterwards? mmmm
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
yea - it was through downtown Gainesville

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
sounds exciting! 8) wait until you carve some single track with all that horse power.. :o

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
In case you were wondering - this is what it looks like to lose by 16/1000 of a second

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
FE
Now that your fast youll have to work on those finish line stretches..