Author Topic: Croom Thanks  (Read 703 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Croom Thanks
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers who helped make the Croom 35/50 another success. While it was (for reasons that elude me) my hardest 50 ever, the organization and sags were great. Nice shirt, too. Thanks again.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: Croom Thanks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:49:16 AM »
Indeed, awesome stuff, I wasnt there, but still awesome stuff. and Huge thanks as always.

Where are all the Usual Croom stories and blow by blows, what gives????

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »
+1 rockhopper
Another great job by Swamp and all the Great volunteers especially the girls in pink @ the 2end sag. I don,t think the guys wanted to leave LOL.But anyway I thank I started out to fast by the 28 mile mark my knee was screaming at me. turned at the 35/ 50 mark and headed to in the fifty instead of turning at the 35 and finishing . had to bail out at croom rd and me and my son called it a day and headed to the finish down croom road.. All and all weather was perfect except for the wind and a Great day..

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Rob Rides For Pink - TD Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
here's the story... Dave gets on the front -- mash, mash, mash.

Sag 1 - catch breath.

Dave on front again -- mash, mash, pit, mash, mash, pit, mash, Dave sarts to pull away.

Sag 2  - lot's of nice ladies in Pink.

Dave on front (protests from peanut gallery to "stop the pain") steady pace, steady, little mash, more mash, mash, mash, dave rides away, dave out of site.

Sag 3 - catch up with dave and get water.

Dave on front (peanut gallery says "don't wait for us") steady, steady, turn on 50 mile PM route, slight mash, little more mash, mash, mash, dave pulling away, reel him in, hit croom rd and wind almost blows bike out from under me, steady, steady, little mash, dave starts to pull away, MASH, catch up, climb tucker hill, HAPPY!!!!!!!

the end

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
Yes, Indeed! Just an awesome day for 50 at Croom!

To everyone that made this happen, we really appreciate your time in working this event.

PS. Doing that 1/2 mile or so up Croom road at about mile 40 into the wind really, really sucked, but other than that, just an outstanding day.

PS. The Margarita and 1/2 of a PBJ Sandwitch at Sag #3 was just what I needed.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
My recap: This was my 4th Croom 50. It was the 1st time I went w/out camelbak. Just two bottles, 2 bars, spare tube, co2 and multitool. SAG's are placed perfectly so I refueled then. I rode solo since the 2 guys I was gonna ride with had to bail.
At around mile 5 a pack of hunt dogs gave chase and ran along with us for a while. Did a quick refuel at 1st sag and moved along. I felt pretty good up through 2nd SAG. I think at around mile 25 or so there was a dude down w/ a lower leg injury-he seemed to have plenty of help so I kept going. I kept a slower pace than I normally would but I stopped much less so I was actually doing ok on time. Groups would pass me and then another mile or so they would be pulled over and I would pass them. This went on the entire day. At the top of Sugar Mtn. I stopped and talked to Garry and several others. At the 35/50 option I followed Garry to the 50 route and the others took the 35 route. We kept a moderate pace to the final SAG. My left hamstring was beginning to cramp at mile 35 so the 37 mile SAG was a welcome sight. I refueled again and headed out. My hamstring cramped right away and Garry moved away. I caught up to him where the yellow trail starts (he was waiting) but we both decided to head back. By then the cramp was gone but I was cold and ready to get home. I finished with 45 miles. (with some extra miles at the start) It was a good day. Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers. The trails were in the best shape I've seen. This is a ride I would suggest to everyone. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline RKL

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
Ditto to what others have said - The volunteers pulled off another great one.  I did the 35 mile circuit & had a great morning in the woods.  Need to get up to Croom more often and work on my weak hill-climbing abilities.