SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 04:39:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: got it so the road course is a lil dirty

[Today at 04:42:39 PM] FACTORe: yes - of the 7 miles loop almost 2 of ti is dirty

[Today at 04:43:15 PM] FACTORe: I got some 24mm's kevlar belt for this race and webster - the 22s would not be good

[Today at 04:44:17 PM] FACTORe: that is as big a tire I can run with my frame clearance

[Today at 04:46:10 PM] Singletrack Samurai: cool.. should be a good time, I used to ride my road bike on dirt roads all th time I love hitting a dirty corner at 17Plus, can you say DRIFT

[Today at 04:46:43 PM] FACTORe: the dirt road looked pretty packed

[Today at 04:46:56 PM] FACTORe: I dont think they would have us ride 6 inch deep sugar sand

[Today at 04:48:59 PM] Singletrack Samurai: nah the roads I used to go on where packed as well, it was FUN, i would tell people and they thought I was crazy for riding my road bike on dirt roads

[Today at 04:49:40 PM] Singletrack Samurai: you can go just as fast as you want too, there is a little resistance there and you got to expect the drift in the corners if your really haulin

[Today at 04:51:54 PM] FACTORe: sounds like a blast - I am racing with cat 3s for the first time so we will be haulin (they will be anyway and I plan on trying to keep up)

[Today at 04:54:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: DO IT

[Today at 05:03:29 PM] FACTORe: so - after talking it over with a few folks - actually going to run the tubulars instead and run them down in pressure a bit - cant do that with clinchers because of pinch flats

Advanced search  

News:

North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rider Down  (Read 825 times)

Loydfl

• Forum Newbie
Rider Down
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »

Folks,  Today Murray McDonald (SP) had a heavy crash at the bottom of the entrance to Sneaky Snake at Loyce Harpe park at about 1PM.  From what we know at this point he has a fractured C2 vertebrae and may be paralyzed.  All the details are on the Ridgre Riders board under the topic of the same name.  None of the Swamp Club or Ridge Rider members recognized him or his name.  Please keep him and his family in your thoughts an prayers in the coming days.

Loyd

Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Rider Down
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »

Man, so sorry to hear that.  Hoping and wishing with reduced swelling it's only temporary paralysis. Those types of injuries effect the nerves that allow you to breath.  I experienced some of that with mine.  Luckily nothing permanent.  Wolf had a C2 fracture, and damn lucky no major damage with it as well. Whatever it takes - prayer, positive vibes, whatever - hoping for a speedy recovery for the guy.  Be careful out there  folks.

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »

Damn.  Hate to hear that.   
Ibis Mojo SL-24lbs. 9 oz.
Ibis Tranny-20lbs. 12 oz.

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »

That sucks.  I saw the email to the swamp newsgroup yesterday and right away it reminded me of not to ride alone.  90% of the time I do and while I notify someone on where I am going to be and what time I should be back, it is not enough.  Looks like the two hikers who performed CPR within  5 minutes was crutial in saving his life.  I'll be hoping for a speedy recovery for him.  Sorry to hear this.

Redriderpro

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »

Got a call from my work related friend yesterday.
This rider is an active South Tampa area road bike rider that rides MTB on weekends and puts a lot of miles in with my road bike friend.

Those that believe, should add him to your prayers.... he will need them.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »

I heard he's not doing well at all...  :'(  sucks big time. 

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »

Got a call from my work related friend yesterday.
This rider is an active South Tampa area road bike rider that rides MTB on weekends and puts a lot of miles in with my road bike friend.

Those that believe, should add him to your prayers.... he will need them.

Do you have any info on what happened exactly? Sure hope he pulls through and is able to get back on the bike. He's been in my thoughts since I heard about the accident.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

The third-hand information I heard (including what Kim told me) suggests he might have caught a pedal on a down-hill in Sneaky Snake, missing the turn and tumbling down a few feet*.   CPR was required.

* "a few feet" is relative.  As you may know, the falls at Loyce (fka Carter) can be up to as far as 35 feet and can also end in the water. (worst case).  The drops in this particular area might be more like 12 feet at the most
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

12 or 35, does it matter? If you hit something weird a smaller fall than that can do a lot of damage. At the same time, guys have tumbled down ravines a lot further than that but walked away with nothing worse than really bad scrapes. Height certainly adds to the risk (definitely increases the butt pucker factor) but height alone isn't the only factor in a bad fall.

The drop into Sneaky Snake last I saw it a few weeks ago was pretty rutted and ugly but it wasn't past my sketchy threshold. I'm a wimp. If it looks too sketchy, I just don't ride it. My threshhold for that is probably an order of magnitude less than some peoples.

This was an accident. We'll probably never know what happened. I'm sure the RR crew has been out there to see if there was anything wrong or preventable. Everyone just needs to be careful and understand that mistakes can happen, even to the best riders. Those mistakes are rarely forseeable, and the consequences can be dire. Be smart and understand the risks.

BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »

We were out there that morning and rode into Sneaky Snake twice.  It was a little more rutted than normal, but it has certainly been in worse shape.

Like Clinton said, it was accident.  Ishtar happens and there is sometimes no rhyme or reason for it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Redriderpro

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »

From my fiend David...

For all of you showing your concern:   the rider’s  name is Murray  McDonough.   He lives in South Tampa and rides regularly with a Saturday morning group that rides from Tampa to St Pete to participate in SPBC group rides.   His Sunday routine frequently included mountain bike rides at Alafia.  Here in Tampa some of us recognize him as one of the  co-founders of  a  South Tampa Velo-Delivery Team that delivers a weekly route for Meals-on-Wheels getting hot meals to elderly and shut-ins.     Friends that have come to know Murray through work, cycling, or other parts of his life are pulling together with prayers for him and his family.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

ProEdgeBiker.com

• Specialized my Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:46:31 PM »

that really sucks! he's lucky in the sense that some passers by saved his life. I never ride alone, never know when an accident can happen.

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »

Accidents happen, you guys are right. I wasn't looking to lay blame on Murray or Ridge Riders. I just believe there is something that can be learned here. I know I'm gonna get one of those ID tags for when I ride alone (which isn't often). Maybe knowing how it happened can help prevent it happening to someone else. I almost crashed on that drop during the 6hr in '09, front tire burped because it had a slow leak, now I make sure my tires are at the right pressure.

I think this has been some sobering news for alot of us, makes you remember how dangerous this sport can sometimes be.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

Singletrack Samurai

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

Accidents happen, you guys are right. I wasn't looking to lay blame on Murray or Ridge Riders. I just believe there is something that can be learned here. I know I'm gonna get one of those ID tags for when I ride alone (which isn't often). Maybe knowing how it happened can help prevent it happening to someone else. I almost crashed on that drop during the 6hr in '09, front tire burped because it had a slow leak, now I make sure my tires are at the right pressure.

I think this has been some sobering news for alot of us, makes you remember how dangerous this sport can sometimes be.

Indeed. I ride alone as well in some far away places with no one around for miles, all you say is true it is sobering indeed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 24 queries.