SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 04:39:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: got it so the road course is a lil dirty

[Today at 04:42:39 PM] FACTORe: yes - of the 7 miles loop almost 2 of ti is dirty

[Today at 04:43:15 PM] FACTORe: I got some 24mm's kevlar belt for this race and webster - the 22s would not be good

[Today at 04:44:17 PM] FACTORe: that is as big a tire I can run with my frame clearance

[Today at 04:46:10 PM] Singletrack Samurai: cool.. should be a good time, I used to ride my road bike on dirt roads all th time I love hitting a dirty corner at 17Plus, can you say DRIFT

[Today at 04:46:43 PM] FACTORe: the dirt road looked pretty packed

[Today at 04:46:56 PM] FACTORe: I dont think they would have us ride 6 inch deep sugar sand

[Today at 04:48:59 PM] Singletrack Samurai: nah the roads I used to go on where packed as well, it was FUN, i would tell people and they thought I was crazy for riding my road bike on dirt roads

[Today at 04:49:40 PM] Singletrack Samurai: you can go just as fast as you want too, there is a little resistance there and you got to expect the drift in the corners if your really haulin

[Today at 04:51:54 PM] FACTORe: sounds like a blast - I am racing with cat 3s for the first time so we will be haulin (they will be anyway and I plan on trying to keep up)

[Today at 04:54:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: DO IT

[Today at 05:03:29 PM] FACTORe: so - after talking it over with a few folks - actually going to run the tubulars instead and run them down in pressure a bit - cant do that with clinchers because of pinch flats

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Fat Tire Festival (Nov 6-9, 2009) 2009 Event was a lot of fun.  Event Information here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rider Down  (Read 824 times)

Redriderpro

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Rider Down
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »

Having had one of those "Help I've fallen and can't get up" things happen to me, I don't ride alone very offten( rare these days) and if I do. I take ZERO chances.
Actually had two of those, one as a moto racer and one one the *MTB(femur)

* Only problem with this plan is, when I fell off and could not get up, I was pretty much on a trail your grandmother would not fall on.

Had there not been people there, I would have bled out due to the broken fermur. ( I needed a few bags of fresh blood anyway )

Be safe, ride with someone, you will make more friends that way, some will be slow and some may be faster then you, but it will be safer and more fun probably than being alone.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »

I rode with him in Boyette once and he mentioned to me about wanting to hook up with someone that has 8-5 office work schedule. Nice guy with good technical skills and endurance he said he likes riding Abyss but would really like to ride with someone who knows the trail well. I mentioned to him about this forum and to post for pick up ride.

This is very sad. We ride because we love the outdoors. Riding alone is almost a given an inherent danger we face everytime we ride out.

Our family is sending good karma towards him.

Morisson

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »

Guys, I highly recommend getting a Road ID bracelet.  About a year and a half ago I took a bad tumble on Gatorback.  While I was laying there trying to figure out what was still working, I panicked about "what if I was unconscious?".  I swore to lay off the tougher trails while riding solo, and to get an ID.  I got the one that has a PIN # and EMS can call it and get all your info, including blood type and history.  It is only $10/yr. and the first year comes with the bracelet ($20).  I rode Alafia today solo thinking about this situation and that poor rider.  Does anyone have more information about his current condition?
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:49:39 PM »

From what I've heard he's not doing well at all. In a coma and his family didn't sound optimistic.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:10:05 AM »

hope he pulls through.. man this is a tough one.. are the ridge riders doing anything for this guy?

does he or the family need anything. seriously now, a fellow mountain biker.. maybe the two clubs could get together and organize a benefit ride or a cookout or something. or a paypal spot to throw a couple bucks his family's way...

just some thoughts..

best, -bob  :(
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 05:31:27 AM »

hope he pulls through.. man this is a tough one.. are the ridge riders doing anything for this guy?

does he or the family need anything. seriously now, a fellow mountain biker.. maybe the two clubs could get together and organize a benefit ride or a cookout or something. or a paypal spot to throw a couple bucks his family's way...

just some thoughts..

best, -bob  :(

Great idea ...I'm in for whatever.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Jason.

silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »

my heart goes out to the family for having to make the decision to take him off life support. Atleast he was a donor so several people will get a second chance thanks to him.

Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »

Very sad. My prayers go out to his friends and family. Those who will benefit from his precious gift of life will be thankful at least. We should do some sort of memorial at the park for his gift of life to others.
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »

That is terrible news to hear.
Jason.

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »

Heard the news today at work... :'(

ride on Murray...

mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »

rest in peace man.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

ProEdgeBiker.com

• Specialized my Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 08:02:54 AM »

Murray Memorial Ride and Fund Raiser: Circle Bar Preserve Sun Feb 28th 9:00am 4399 Winter Lake Road Lakeland, Fl 33803 Location: Entrance south side of SR 540 (Winter Lake Road) between US 98 and Thornhill Road

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

Sucks.
Ibis Mojo SL-24lbs. 9 oz.
Ibis Tranny-20lbs. 12 oz.

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »

Just got this update at 8am:

The family has decided to remove Murray off life support today in order to donate his organs...

He will finally be going HOME to be with his creator!

What a blessing --- his last gesture was to give a new life to someone else... That was Murray--selfless...caring, gentle and will always be remembered!!

Please keep his family in your prayers during this very difficult and sad time for them.

They are planning a Memorial Service for the middle of next week at Murray's house. Will post details, once they are exact.

Doris
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 17 queries.