Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Murray Memorial Ride and Fund Raiser  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Red Trail Racing

• Associate
  • Amateur Billy Goat
Murray Memorial Ride and Fund Raiser
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »
Seems like everybody wants to do something to help Murrays surviving family as well as raising awareness to MTB safety.
Lets all meet at the Circle Bar Preserve in Lakeland for a memorial ride and fund raiser.
I think this is a good neutral location with some nice flat beautiful trails that would serve as an ideal location to reflect on his situation as well as our own thoughts on the matter.
I will make sure the local press is there to also bring awareness to the situation.
Any ideas to add to the event are more than welcome....

Sun Feb 28th 9:00am
4399 Winter Lake Road Lakeland, Fl 33803
Location: Entrance south side of SR 540 (Winter Lake Road) between US 98 and Thornhill Road

If you cant make it but want to donate just mail a check to RRMBA with "Murray Fund" in the memo portion to: 5551 Russo Road, Bartow FL  33830

RIDE SAFE!!!!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Murray Memorial Ride and Fund Raiser
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »
Thanks Ray.  I will try to make it.  I read the posts here and on the RR forum.  Very sad indeed.  My brother's situation with cancer was different.  But after being pulled form life support, my brother lasted several painful weeks.  Even after he was sent to Hospice.  Do we know for sure Murray has passed or is he still fighting?  Regarless of his condition, the memorial ride to bring awareness to our sport should go on.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Red Trail Racing

• Associate
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:04:57 AM »
I was informed that he could not breathe on his own and not enough brain activity to sustain and the decision to take him off life support was Wed and he was taken of yesterday... Thats what I know so far from an emt that was onsite and been following up. Thanks

Offline Red Trail Racing

• Associate
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:23 AM »
Here is a letter from Michael (Murrays older brother......
(Thanks to Birdsong Adams for keeping in touch and pouring her heart into this matter and relaying the information)
"Please share this with others. I visited the ridgerider website, but did not register, so I could not post.

Thanks for keeping up with this, some of us may be around for a ride with your group. We are planning a gathering at his home in Hyde Park Tues eve. If I remember, I will give you details to post.

I sent this out to my community earlier today:

My younger brother Murray suffered an accident while mountain biking Sunday.
He has been on life support since he arrived at Lakeland Regional with fatal injuries.
Caroline, the boys and I jumped in the car as soon as we got the news Sunday, and have spent the last 5 days or so in a fog at the hospital with my two sisters, mother, and his friends. We all have come to terms with the situation, and have accepted his death, even though his heart is still beating as I write this.
Our family has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from his community, and we have learned that he was an even more impressive man than we knew.
So, bear with me as I share some things.

Murray attended college at Lawrence University in Wisconsin on a football scholarship,  was awarded Kodak All-American (Div II colleges), and earned a degree in Physics.
He then earned a degree in Civil Engineering at University of Florida, and settled into a bungalow in the Hyde Park historic district of Tampa that he has slowly renovated himself over the last 15 years.

He always showed up for company community work days, was on the board of his neighborhood association, and delivered meals on wheels (by bike!!!!!)

He worked his way up as a bridge and tunnel designer at URS, a large national Engineering firm.  He became lead Engineer/project manager for numerous large bridges and tunnels at airports and highways throughout the country, and worked with large multi-disciplinary design teams and governmental agencies. We have been told by many of his colleagues that his technical skills were impeccable, but that it is his leadership and team-building skills that were his greatest and most valued attribute. He was just awarded several new bridge projects, so his company is scrambling to adjust.

Murray maintained a regimented (almost religious) fitness routine since high school, with running and biking as his main outlets.  His bachelor life allowed him to pursue adventure travel, summitting Mt Ranier and several other 18k + peaks, kayak trips, and numerous races and triathlons. Among my trips with him, my favorites were 5 days of mountain-biking various Colorado hot-spots, and snowboarding in California  We ride in Bent Creek and on Riverside drive to Marshall every time he visits. He recently took my son snowboarding in Vail.
His priorities led to a few broken hearts.
He had a healthy diet of mostly un-processed or organic foods, tea, and Sierra Nevada or micro brew after a good ride. He probably had the healthiest body of any 47 year old in America.

On Sunday, he was alone enjoying his usual Sunday mtn biking ride about 40 miles from his home. He passed some hikers, who then found him about 5 minutes later in a steep downhill section. One of the hikers was a nurse, who immediately began mouth to mouth and CPR. He had broken his C2 vertebrae, and mostly severed his spinal chord. As any responsible rider, he was wearing his helmet. He was airlifted to a local hospital, and arrived with weak erratic pulse.
At best, he would survive with very limited mobility, which we all began to struggle with. However, the lack of oxygen to his brain between the accident and his arrival at ICU created the most damage, and left him with only minimal brain function. He is now borderline brain-dead.

The ICU has seen a steady stream of visitors, as many had a hard time believing that superman was in this condition.
He left no end of life documents, so we all struggled to chose his final wishes.
Since he had taken care of his body so well, we all decided to donate his organs, even though he had left no preference. If he reaches a condition where physicians can declare him brain dead, they will seek a variety of organs (8 will be life-saving), so we are now hoping for that. If so, lucky recipients of his organs will be readied at in OR's throughout the region, a fleet of helicopters will be staged at the hospital, and if all goes well, the skies around Lakeland will be buzzing like a beehive.

Please take time in the next few days to appreciate your community and family, as I am, and please take care of those end of life documents.
Michael
michael@mcdonougharchitect.com
828-252-2153
He also sent some great pics of Murray...

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
...now ive seen the pic.  i HAVE met him.  He was super cool out at Carter.  This is unbelievable.....  :(
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
This is very sad news...

Gregg and I were riding Sunday at Carter, and we both saw Murray unloading his bike and kitting up. I noticed him, because of his bike. I have never met him, but I believe we all KNEW him. He shared the same passion that we all share for this sport. His accident could have happened to any one of us, and this is a solemn reminder that none of us are invinceable.

I have lost many people that are or have been close to me... especially since Sept. 11th... but, for some reason, this hits very close to home.

Murray was an organ donor... as am I. Death is never good... but, his death provided life to someone else. His heart beats on, giving someone else a second lease on life... and who knows, maybe the new owner will have pleasant dreams some nights, of a free spirit, riding some of the sweetest single track ever seen.

Rest Peacefully Murray... you will be missed.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
Who is going?  Can we make a donation if we go or can we send to the RR club?

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
This is very sad news...

Gregg and I were riding Sunday at Carter, and we both saw Murray unloading his bike and kitting up. I noticed him, because of his bike. I have never met him, but I believe we all KNEW him. He shared the same passion that we all share for this sport. His accident could have happened to any one of us, and this is a solemn reminder that none of us are invinceable.

I have lost many people that are or have been close to me... especially since Sept. 11th... but, for some reason, this hits very close to home.

Murray was an organ donor... as am I. Death is never good... but, his death provided life to someone else. His heart beats on, giving someone else a second lease on life... and who knows, maybe the new owner will have pleasant dreams some nights, of a free spirit, riding some of the sweetest single track ever seen.

Rest Peacefully Murray... you will be missed.

Well said.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Advertisement: