Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Wilderness First Aid  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Wilderness First Aid
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:53 AM »
In light of the recent events is anyone interested in taking this course?  I took the WFA class offered by SOLO http://www.soloschools.com/ in 2005 when it was offered at USF but it's definitely time for a refresher (I would take the WFR course if I had the time off)

UF is offering a course the April (at Paynes Prairie State Park)  You can read the course description here http://www.soloschools.com/index.cfm?event=course.wfa 

University of Florida
Paynes Prairie State Park
Gainesville, FL 32611

Telephone: 352-273-4543
Email: jonduff@ufl.edu
Note: $150 Tuition. $35 CPR. Call or e-mail for more information.
This course offered by University of Florida. Please contact them directly for registration information.

I know they can also offer the course locally if enough people are interested...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:24:17 AM by Luis »

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
Re: Wilderness First Aid
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »
Luis
 That looks interesting .I would not mind doing a wilderness first aid course myself. looks like they have one in April 10/11 Its just a basic course but be very helpful. I will email them for more info..

Thanks
Bill

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »
At my work we've had someone come in to give a wilderness first aid course to people that spend a lot of time working out in the woods.  Apparently it was a 2 day course taught by someone from UF. Cost to bring the guy to Tallahassee from Gainesville for 2 days was around $1200 and cost for 2 nights in a hotel.  Manual that came with the course was heavy on cuts, breaks, blunt forces injuries & was more appropriate for kinds of things you would see in an MTB accident than the standard Red Cross first aid course I took recently.  The guy from my office that set it up said they were also talking with the course provider about designing a one-day course for the work we do.  The same thing could probably be done for what we're interested in learning about.  If there was enough interest, it might be possible to set something up and keep the cost reasonable.  I'd be happy to pass on more information if there's interest.

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »
That's probably the same SOLO instructor listed on my post. I had contacted him a while ago, he can provide the course locally if there is enough interest. I don't remember how many participants constitutes "enough interest". 

Maybe SWAMP is interested in doing this as a club activity? Any SWAMP honchos here?   

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:40:04 PM »
Great idea Luis.
Ive got a couple people interested already..

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 12:51:39 PM »
I would be interested in local instruction. You never know, the life you save may be your own or a loved one. Worth the cost in my book.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
About 15 years ago, I took a weekend long wilderness 1st aid course at UGA.  It was excellent.  At the time, my work paid for it, but it would have been worth it anyway.  I would do a refresher, if I could find one closer to home.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »
I would do it. I did one almost 20 years ago in Lake Tahoe. I get re-certified First Aid/CPR every two years but I would like a refresher for the Widerness/Survival aspect.......
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
I was going to be IMBP-certified (mostly because of the perks at the parks in SoFla) but that's gotten cut short for monetary reasons. I always carry a basic first-aid kit JIC. I'd love some better training since the basic first-aid/CPR stuff isn't the best for the kind of scenarios you'd like get on a bike in the woods. But at this point with my recent lay-off I just can't afford it.

Offline swamprh957

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
Hello all, I am happy to know that you are also bringing your basic first aid kit in your training. It is really important to be prepared every time, especially if you know that you have a sick. If possible, we should bring all the medical tools that we need.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
Am I the only one who finds this new generation of spambots that pretend to be regular users that speak bizarro english a bit disturbing?

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Am I the only one who finds this new generation of spambots that pretend to be regular users that speak bizarro english a bit disturbing?

No, you're not the only one.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
Spam bots are practicing for customer service chat sessions.  Those are always fun.

Sounds like a good course, didn't know it existed.  Nice of the spam bot to dig it up for me.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Advertisement: