Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Off Road Tri Training . . .  (Read 1259 times)

Offline dirtrider410

• First Bike
Off Road Tri Training . . .
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »
Hey everyone, after much frustration of trying to find a trail oriented running group (everyone I have come across is road) I have figured that I will try to see if I can't start one. As the title says "off road tri training" I would like to start a group that runs/bikes maybe two or three times a month. Right now I know that Hit The Trails out of Lithia meets down at Balm Boyette at 7 am on Sundays and they do a 7 mile trail run so I figured I could bring my bike down with me and the after the run maybe put in a good 20 or so miles. My hopes are to get a few people that want to participate and potentially meet at all different ride locations such as croom, balm, alafia and santos. After doing my first xterra off road tri last year I am hooked now its just spreading the word and getting others interested. If anyone would like to take part or has any suggestions or questions please contact me either via this forum or my email dlawrenceconley@yahoo.com
If you don't crash how do you know your limits . . . ?

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Off Road Tri Training . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
Off Road Tri... now if there was ever an event that NEEDS beer hand-ups more than cyclocross that would be it.

I need to start trail running. Was supposed to be doing that today but I decided on a whim to go do Aikido again for the first time in years. My dainty toes did not approve of the high traction wrestling mat surface as both my big toes now have large blisters being held together with athletic tape.

Offline Long Tooth

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I was at Morris Bridge Sunday and did 7m trail and 15m bike. trying to get ready for the Squiggy Classic. I need a partner, but i'm a slow old fart so nothing fast.
John
jocraig43@aol.com
Razorback

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
I'll be racing Xterra this year. First Coast (Jacksonville) for sure, and maybe Tsali. However, I'll have very limited off road action until St. Anthony's is over (4/25). I'll send you a PM when I'm ready to start focusing on the off road stuff in early May. I have a couple of friends who I'm trying to get on board as well.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
I'll be racing Xterra this year. First Coast (Jacksonville) for sure, and maybe Tsali. However, I'll have very limited off road action until St. Anthony's is over (4/25). I'll send you a PM when I'm ready to start focusing on the off road stuff in early May. I have a couple of friends who I'm trying to get on board as well.

your doing a triathlon?

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:02:50 AM »

your doing a triathlon?

I did 6 last year. Probably fewer this year...getting too expensive. I'll almost certainly be at the first Crystal River (5/29), and maybe Augusta 70.3 if all goes well.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »

your doing a triathlon?

I did 6 last year. Probably fewer this year...getting too expensive. I'll almost certainly be at the first Crystal River (5/29), and maybe Augusta 70.3 if all goes well.

I did 2 of the crystal river ones last year - you doing it fat tire or you have a tri bike?

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »

I did 2 of the crystal river ones last year - you doing it fat tire or you have a tri bike?

Tri bike. I'm trying to improve my USAT standings from last year, and Fat Tire, Clydesdale, etc. don't count.

As far as the on-road vs. off-road tri's are concerned, off road is surprisingly harder. I rode 12 miles at Croom on the way home from my last on-road tri. After doing the Xterra race down at Alva last year (similar sprint distance), I had to sit by my car for almost an hour before I felt safe to drive, and I could barely walk the next day. With that said, off-road tri is by far the most fun I've ever had in a race.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:49:09 PM »

Tri bike. I'm trying to improve my USAT standings from last year, and Fat Tire, Clydesdale, etc. don't count.

As far as the on-road vs. off-road tri's are concerned, off road is surprisingly harder. I rode 12 miles at Croom on the way home from my last on-road tri. After doing the Xterra race down at Alva last year (similar sprint distance), I had to sit by my car for almost an hour before I felt safe to drive, and I could barely walk the next day. With that said, off-road tri is by far the most fun I've ever had in a race.

I did those tri's on a road bike last year and barely could ave 22MPH

I have a TT bike now and will be a lot closer to 27MPH now - I cant wait to go back to crystal river and try and demolish my time from last year.  with those sprints being 15 miles..if you can truck on the bike, it is a HUGE advantage.

Offline dirtrider410

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
Meerkat Surprise, sweet sounds good, yea i'm going out to Miami on the 28th then the 18th of april is Fort Meyers, then there is an awesome XRC race in Richmond VA which is suppose to be one of the best races in the entire series. Its one of the long distant ones and is sometime in June then July is First Coast and that one is a blast. Def let me know when your going to start training and hopefully we can get a few more people aboard ! ! !
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:44:11 PM by dirtrider410 »
If you don't crash how do you know your limits . . . ?

Advertisement: