Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: OK, how long is the Blue Loop @ Croom?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
OK, how long is the Blue Loop @ Croom?
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
I rode the whole Blue Loop today with Skinman and my Garmin 205 said 28.6 mi.  The map says approx. 32.  I did the hard options except for Volcano rim (short) and some hill (looked short).  I suspect that the Garmin does not accurately record distance since it sort of plots a point a second, but how far off is it?  I have a Garmin Map Cx60.  Would it be more accurate for total distance?  Any how, just wanted to believe I did 30 or more today.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: OK, how long is the Blue Loop @ Croom?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
I rode the whole Blue Loop today with Skinman and my Garmin 205 said 28.6 mi.  The map says approx. 32.  I did the hard options except for Volcano rim (short) and some hill (looked short).  I suspect that the Garmin does not accurately record distance since it sort of plots a point a second, but how far off is it?  I have a Garmin Map Cx60.  Would it be more accurate for total distance?  Any how, just wanted to believe I did 30 or more today.

Prolly is 32 sir.

GPS miles, are not gonna be accurrate in the twisty stuff..

Thus the race were doing next weekend, gps miles say 277, but its probably 300 plus...

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:39:43 PM »
Thank you.  I feel better now.  Skin, hope your reading this.

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Evening folks

I was riding out at croom today also with my wife. I ride with both GPS and odometer on my wheel. depending how twisty the trail gets .as the naked one already pointed out it varies . sometimes I can lose a mile and a half on a 18 mile loop. it also depends on how many satellites your picking up for accuracy..anyway it always feels longer in the woods.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
on average my edge 305 is 10% short.
[/don]

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:18:45 PM »
Cant believe someone actually called Coach "Sir"
 :o
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »
Why do people worry about mileage so much? Go out and have fun!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »

It was fun.  But you have to understand, there was a time not too long ago, I was unable to ride at all (medical).  Before that, I was a 10-12 mile a day (max) rider.  I have now (since being a able to ride again) committed to increasing my endurance as well as technical skill.  So for me, getting to what I would call "magic" numbers is important.  I know it isn't a big deal for some you to ride 30-50 miles, but it is for me.  My goal is to get to a point where they are no big deal, but for now 20, 30, 40, and 50 are big milestones and I want to know when I achieve one.  Hope that makes sense.   By the way, 20 is starting to lose its "magic", so unless it is technical trails, 20 is not as big a deal.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »

It was fun.  But you have to understand, there was a time not too long ago, I was unable to ride at all (medical).  Before that, I was a 10-12 mile a day (max) rider.  I have now (since being a able to ride again) committed to increasing my endurance as well as technical skill.  So for me, getting to what I would call "magic" numbers is important.  I know it isn't a big deal for some you to ride 30-50 miles, but it is for me.  My goal is to get to a point where they are no big deal, but for now 20, 30, 40, and 50 are big milestones and I want to know when I achieve one.  Hope that makes sense.   By the way, 20 is starting to lose its "magic", so unless it is technical trails, 20 is not as big a deal.

I ride 18 miles daily.  I could do more, but why??  18 miles in Blues and Diamonds is a good ride.  Ive done 40 in a day.  After riding daily, its alot, but after a recovery day, IT F IN ROCKS!!!!

oh yeah, and when at Boyette, DONT SKIP SST!!!!  Though people dont care for it, if you ride it fast, EVERYTIME, you will be amazed at the skill you pick up.  Its ever changing and has lots of places to use and hone your posisioning skills on your bike...
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »

It was fun.  But you have to understand, there was a time not too long ago, I was unable to ride at all (medical).  Before that, I was a 10-12 mile a day (max) rider.  I have now (since being a able to ride again) committed to increasing my endurance as well as technical skill.  So for me, getting to what I would call "magic" numbers is important.  I know it isn't a big deal for some you to ride 30-50 miles, but it is for me.  My goal is to get to a point where they are no big deal, but for now 30, 40, and 50 are big milestones and I want to know when I achieve one.  Hope that makes sense.

I am with you Coach.. Guys like us who have been out of shape for a long period, mileage is very important as a yard stick to measure our current fitness and endurance levels. The longer we can ride the more fun we can have! Also, since I am riding with my 8 year old and training him to race and  enjoy the sport, keeping up with mileage makes him feel like he is really accomplishing something when we ride. How proud was I when he was able to do the 27 mile ride with us at Boyette a couple weeks ago... :)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:33 AM »

I'm all about having fun, you know that.  Every ride is NOT a race or an endurance event.

However, seeing a certain mileage on my GPS is a matter of pride.  Which is why I went back out yesterday and rode another lap of Roller Coaster after we had eaten all of that food. 

I don't get to ride everyday, so it's an accomplishment to get a certain number of miles on Sunday. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »
oh yeah, and when at Boyette, DONT SKIP SST!!!!  Though people dont care for it, if you ride it fast, EVERYTIME, you will be amazed at the skill you pick up.  Its ever changing and has lots of places to use and hone your posisioning skills on your bike...

I use it more as a gauge of where I am on any given day. I try to keep it in the big ring and avoid breaking momentum. If I can flow through SST without blowing momentum everywhere I know it's going to be a good day.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »

I'm all about having fun, you know that.  Every ride is NOT a race or an endurance event.

However, seeing a certain mileage on my GPS is a matter of pride.  Which is why I went back out yesterday and rode another lap of Roller Coaster after we had eaten all of that food. 

I don't get to ride everyday, so it's an accomplishment to get a certain number of miles on Sunday.

Which is my point. If you are using the same thing to measure your mileage for every ride, does it matter if it shows 28 or 32? If you say you rode the blue loop at Croom with all the options, most of us are gonna know that is a great ride.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
A lot of people out there log miles for various reasons.  You can't rely solely on trail maps if you want to accurately measure your miles.

At Flatwoods my Garmin is about 2-3 miles off after a couple laps.  I love my Garmin but I hate having that thing strapped to my wrist while riding and the Garmin handlebar mount is a piece of garbage (it is really easy for the unit to pop out in a crash).  I pretty much stopped using my Garmin for riding but still use it for jogging. 

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 10:10:26 AM »
The right question to ask is how long it takes you to do the blue loop  ;)

Advertisement: