Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: UPS damaged my bike  (Read 2636 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
UPS damaged my bike
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
Has anyone ever dealt with UPS damage (uninsured). I shipped a bike out UPS on a ebay deal and they say they're sending it back to me damaged. Denied my claim stating improper packaging (I'm now contesting it even though I have no idea what the damage is). It was in a factory shipping box with cardboard stuffed in to protect it. I've sent tons of bikes UPS and have never had a problem. I'm almost certain that they got rough with it and something popped out of the box.

Just kinda wondering if someone has been this route. If the packaging was poor then they shouldn't have accepted it in the first place.....right.I really hope it's just something stupid like a skewer popped out of the box.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: UPS damaged my bike
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
I've never had to do a claim through UPS.

But, I can tell you, I've seen plenty of boxes come through here at work that have been beat all to hell.  Fortunately, the items inside have been safe. (so far)

The fork that I recently shipped to Colorado on UPS came through unscathed as well.  But the box (which was in pristine condition when I sent it out) was also pretty beat up when I got it back. 

Have you seen some of the jokers working for UPS?  They just don't care. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
Could be damage by UPS. Bike boxes don't fit on the conveyor belts so they have to be carried through the terminals. They're not obligated to insure that it was packed correctly. They'll add tape if they notice a box is losing integrity but that's about as far as they'll go. The standards for proper packing are pretty high (as in a large percentage of packages don't meet them). Gives them an easy exit on insurance claims.

Could be the buyer just changed their mind and wants an easy refund. Did the buyer give you any opportunity to make it right (I'm guessing no because you don't even know what the damage was)? Did they refuse delivery or did they have it then ship it back?

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
I worked nights at FedEx Ground while finishing up school a couple of years ago and I can atest that it was probably damaged in shipping. I have no idea what type of coverage is available for your bike, but I can certainly vouch that the guys in the warehouse don't care about your package.

If you could see inside one of the terminals during preload you would wonder how anything ever made it to you in one piece.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »
i sent out an Sworks Epic a few years back and it arrived damaged with a nice dent on the frame.. Thank god I insured it. they took care of it no problem.

it was worth the extra $20 to insure it for more than it was worth.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
All packages sent through UPS automaticaly come with $100 insurance. To be "properly packed" they want 2-3 inches of packing material on all sides of what ever you're shipping. They also recomend using a double walled box. If you sent this through your work's shipping dept your best bet is to contact the UPS rep. If not I think you're in for some dificulty. Either way all you're likely to get is $100.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
All packages sent through UPS automaticaly come with $100 insurance. To be "properly packed" they want 2-3 inches of packing material on all sides of what ever you're shipping. They also recomend using a double walled box. If you sent this through your work's shipping dept your best bet is to contact the UPS rep. If not I think you're in for some dificulty. Either way all you're likely to get is $100.

yep fed ex also offers the fist $100 free of charge(if you actually pick $100)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
I called them, threw my companies name around, insisted that it was packed in factory manufacturers box with extra cardboard dividers, and they agreed to overturn the complaint denial. Not sure exactly what that means but I should at least get $100 for repair if necessary. I'm really hopping it is very minor like something just popped out of the side and got scratched up. I never buy insurance on anything,electronics,shipping,extended warranty plans,extended car warranty etc and this is one of the very few times it may bite me in the ass.

I have gotten stuff from UPS before that looked like it sat ourside for a month. Shipper insisted box was in good shape when it left him.

What I didn't like is the fact that they couldn't produce digital pics of the damage upon request. Seems like that is the least they can do when saying it's my fault.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
I sent a bike insured through UPS - they totally messed it up then claimed it wasnt boxed properly - it was in an actually bike box that was packed by a LBS. 

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
No experience with claims but I tried to ship a pc tower once and they wouldn't let me insure it with my packaging. They had to repack it to insure it. Good luck. Lately I've been shipping everything through USPS flat rate boxes, too bad there isn't a flat rate box that big.
[/don]

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
I called them, threw my companies name around, insisted that it was packed in factory manufacturers box with extra cardboard dividers, and they agreed to overturn the complaint denial. Not sure exactly what that means but I should at least get $100 for repair if necessary. I'm really hopping it is very minor like something just popped out of the side and got scratched up. I never buy insurance on anything,electronics,shipping,extended warranty plans,extended car warranty etc and this is one of the very few times it may bite me in the ass.

I have gotten stuff from UPS before that looked like it sat ourside for a month. Shipper insisted box was in good shape when it left him.

What I didn't like is the fact that they couldn't produce digital pics of the damage upon request. Seems like that is the least they can do when saying it's my fault.

It sounds like they they have reversed there desicion to deny your claim. Which is good. Well played asking for pics. When the package gets back to you make sure YOU take pictures of the box before you open it and take pictures of any damage to the bike. Also keep the box and all packing materials until the claim is settled in case they want to see it.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
I worked for Fed Ex PT unloading, and I'm shocked that things actually make it in one piece.  First, when we received the truck it was PACKED!  They crammed every inch.  Second we were on a deadline to have the packages ready to load on the trucks, so needless to say we would throw it, kick it slide it to get it to the loading zone.  I remember throwing bikes 10ft across the warehouse.  This was standard practice.  The environment was slave labor, and the pay sucked.  Nobody cared if they damaged a package. All I can say, is pack it well and insure the heck out of it.

Dude, I'm 99.9% sure if it was packed well they damaged it.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
I make box's for a living. If a product is packed correctly it should put up with the abuse the shippings guys dole out. And they do dole it out!
two most common causes of damage are piercing a box with something sharp or too much space inside the box which helps the g-forces get transfered to the product.
If you use the right box and pack it securely, no damage should occur, even if the box is thrown around. (not from the roof!)
there is a science to making packaging that withstand the kind of abuse UPS and others place on your packages.
Always use a doublewall box for a bike.

By the way if you ever need box's or foam to protect a bike or anything else, pm me.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Moto Ace

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
    • Yup.... since 1999
  • My Bike: Matt Chester Mutinyman
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
Alawys take images of the packed bike before sealing up the box.
Then they have no option but to cover the claim.
Works every time.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »

It sounds like they they have reversed there desicion to deny your claim. Which is good. Well played asking for pics. When the package gets back to you make sure YOU take pictures of the box before you open it and take pictures of any damage to the bike. Also keep the box and all packing materials until the claim is settled in case they want to see it.

Thank you! I probably would have just ripped it apart to see what it was gonna take to fix it.

Advertisement: