Author Topic: Adding Jumps at Alafia  (Read 1514 times)

Offline anthonyi

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • 2009 Trek Fuel EX8
Adding Jumps at Alafia
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
I was just wondering if it may be in the plans to add a few jumps at Alafia? A few small tables (maybe in the small clearing by Rabbit Ears?) would be great jumping practice.
The jump on Rollercoaster is awesome and we hit that many times in a row, but something to play with near the lot would be awesome.
I realize that heavy equipment is needed for this, but it would be worth the cost.
--------------------
"Wish not so much to live long, as to live well." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Re: Adding Jumps at Alafia
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
I was just wondering if it may be in the plans to add a few jumps at Alafia? A few small tables (maybe in the small clearing by Rabbit Ears?) would be great jumping practice.
The jump on Rollercoaster is awesome and we hit that many times in a row, but something to play with near the lot would be awesome.
I realize that heavy equipment is needed for this, but it would be worth the cost.

Many people ride the trails but not too many fork over the measly $20 that it costs to join SWAMP for 1yr.

Offline anthonyi

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • 2009 Trek Fuel EX8
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »

Many people ride the trails but not too many fork over the measly $20 that it costs to join SWAMP for 1yr.
Isn't that sad! I just re-upped 5 minutes ago and I would even pay part of the equipment rental if someone could drive.
--------------------

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »

Isn't that sad! I just re-upped 5 minutes ago and I would even pay part of the equipment rental if someone could drive.

very sad, specially when they make excuses about the members as to why they dont join.. they sure do like riding the trails the members maintain.

Offline anthonyi

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • 2009 Trek Fuel EX8
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »
P.S.
Let me just say that I know this subject has been visited before, but the conversation has been mostly about a free-ride section with drops, etc.
I am asking about simple dirt tables in a small clearing - maybe 2 or 3 feet high - about 8 feet long - and 8 feet wide - with a run-out. A quick day's work for a little Bobcat.
--------------------

Offline anthonyi

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • 2009 Trek Fuel EX8
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 06:38:09 PM »

very sad, specially when they make excuses about the members as to why they dont join.. they sure do like riding the trails the members maintain.
Truly amazing. I would be fine even if the membership cost was slightly higher. Alafia alone (where we frequent) is like an amusement park for me. Better than Disney.
I even wish I had time to volunteer, but my weekend time is very limited, and from Sarasota any Swamp trail is a trip for me.
--------------------

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »
This has been gone over many times, both with jumps and a skills area. Last word I heard was the land manager (Fl state park system) won't let that fly. There are actually alot of spots to catch air out there if you look around, but as far as building some man-made jumps the park was against it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline anthonyi

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • 2009 Trek Fuel EX8
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
This has been gone over many times, both with jumps and a skills area. Last word I heard was the land manager (Fl state park system) won't let that fly. There are actually alot of spots to catch air out there if you look around, but as far as building some man-made jumps the park was against it.
I can understand that.
I wonder... Would they know what a table was for?
--------------------

Offline northbkr1

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »
From day one when we started building trails at Alafia they said NO man made ramps or jumps. It's their land, we get to play on it so we build the trails as fun as we can for the masses not the few. I love to jump, when we  mark something to build I look for that stuff to add to the trail but it has to go with the flow of the trail. If you look a little harder you will find there are jumps out there as SFG said earlier. If someone finds something to jump or drop off and it's off the normal line of the trail it will be blocked because it makes the trail system look to cluttered and a mess with options. So just look at the trail a little better and you will find places where you can get some air. Look and you Will Find.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
So just look at the trail a little better and you will find places where you can get some air. Look and you Will Find.

Or just follow SFG one day.  Since he's gotten his Ellsworth, he's become a regular high flyer. ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
So just look at the trail a little better and you will find places where you can get some air. Look and you Will Find.

Or just follow SFG one day.  Since he's gotten his Ellsworth, he's become a regular high flyer. ;)

;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline rookie

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »
i got a bobcat hit me up

Offline rixxir

• Huffy Rider
  • Do the crime, Do the time..........and like it!
  • My Bike: Trek Fuel EX 8
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 05:40:56 AM »
Great input from everyone.  I'm fairly new but have found a couple spots to catch some air.  The very end of North Creek has a small mound at the end and if you are carrying some speed, it can launch you.  I also have gotten air on Bridges.  Its out there, like everyone says, you just have to look.
SCSO 2008

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
Great input from everyone.  I'm fairly new but have found a couple spots to catch some air.  The very end of North Creek has a small mound at the end and if you are carrying some speed, it can launch you.  I also have gotten air on Bridges.  Its out there, like everyone says, you just have to look.

Roller coaster has a nice jump, and the jump at the end of North Creek you have make sure you avoid that tree :)
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline anthonyi

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • 2009 Trek Fuel EX8
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »
Roller coaster has a nice jump, and the jump at the end of North Creek you have make sure you avoid that tree :)

I LOVE that jump on Rollercoaster! We hit that jump so many times in a row that we wore out that 10' connector "path" through the woods that allows us to loop around to it. If anyone wants to see what the jump looks like, it is on a bunch of my videos. Mainly:
The 2009 Alafia Highlights and Crashes Video | anthonyi
--------------------