Author Topic: Singletrack Samurai Productions Presents: Dirty DANO's 100 April 17th 8am  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
if its wet that will be the least fun part of the route, for sure. It's only a mile or so long and all that bullzozer work was a good thing; they raised parts of the road bed and put culverts under. those sections have a rock surface. between those areas it is still sandy.

It seems like their intention is to eventually pave that section.  IF you look at the maps it has a name.

And another interesting Factoid.

Over time the CFiTT route and the HURACAN route will actually get more and more singletrack as they extend the Santos trail system to the withlacoochee bike path which I believe is their ultimate intention.

Offline Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Any group ride is a race in disguise. No?

Offline Lynne

• First Bike
I'm hoping it's not all about racing.  In fact, I was wondering if an early start would be permitted?  I rode the Santos Epic with an average speed of 9.  Now part of that ride I did go slower than I can to stay with friends, but part of the same ride I went faster than I can to stay with a different friend.  ANyways, I think I need more time to get done in time for dinner.

• Cycling Sherpa
It's not a race. We will be there early. Anything for u!

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
If I do it, I'll definitely be setting out early. Want to get a head start on the speed demons so hopefully they won't be waiting too long to see me drag my ass in.

• Cycling Sherpa
For those interested in Rolling Early.....

I will be there by 6am.

Sign you in, give you the speech and contact info and then send you on your way.

Do you have a bike Gps unit?  Cause we will have a GPX file available for the ride.  We will have some ruide guides on course and we will have some tricky spots lightly marked.

once we are done and it will be brief you can roll out, but keep in mind sag support wont be available till after 8am if you need sommething along your course and the designated sag points.

BUT, im all for people starting early, sounds great!

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
A GPX file would be great. I usually keep my GPS in my camelbak but I do have a bar mount. If I need SAG support it will be because my motor has up and died. I don't expect that to happen that early.

• Cycling Sherpa
A GPX file would be great. I usually keep my GPS in my camelbak but I do have a bar mount. If I need SAG support it will be because my motor has up and died. I don't expect that to happen that early.

No prob... Yes we will have one, and It will be workable... what kind of gps you have sir?

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Garmin Vista HCX. Though now I have my Nexus One android phone as well. The phone has pretty much usurped GPS duty for road riding but the Garmin is still king in the woods.

• Cycling Sherpa
Garmin Vista HCX. Though now I have my Nexus One android phone as well. The phone has pretty much usurped GPS duty for road riding but the Garmin is still king in the woods.

Ya, cool, you need to get topofusion, its free to download.  it breaks down routes in 500 point chunks automatically which is key to get the tight twisty detail of the single track, if you need instructions let me know.  there is a link on my blog for it.

• Cycling Sherpa
what app are you using for the droid?

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
I've just been using Google's My Tracks app. It's not fancy but it gives me the data I want with the road bike. I don't have a computer on my fixed gear that I cruise around town with but I still want to keep track of mileage. If it can spit out a trace with total and rolling averages I'm happy.

Topofusion is pretty neat. I'm going to have to play with this a lot more. Big improvement from what I had been using. I'll have to import my work-in-progress Croom map and see how well it makes maps of the Garmin.

• Cycling Sherpa
I've just been using Google's My Tracks app. It's not fancy but it gives me the data I want with the road bike. I don't have a computer on my fixed gear that I cruise around town with but I still want to keep track of mileage. If it can spit out a trace with total and rolling averages I'm happy.

Topofusion is pretty neat. I'm going to have to play with this a lot more. Big improvement from what I had been using. I'll have to import my work-in-progress Croom map and see how well it makes maps of the Garmin.

its pretty rad, topofusion, better than the garmin crap.

good maps too, its what we used to get the comprehensive map we used on the Huracan.

I cant get my tracks to get a satellite fix everytime i tried it... BAH

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Topofusion is pretty cool but you still seem to have the point limitation when you upload. What I'm trying to do is make uploadable map files that go in the main memory and don't have the point limitation. They're just overlaid on top of the topo map I already have in the device. Plus by being a true map file rather than a track they don't slow down the scrolling and zooming nearly as much.

Topofusion has some really cool tools for managing tracks and merging/simplifying that I think I'll make good use of though.

Offline Lynne

• First Bike
A GPX would be awesome...I've got phone, car, hike and bike GPSes.  I pretty much can't remember how to get to the grocery store anymore without navigation equipment.

Any format will do.  I've got all sorts of conversion utilities.