Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Wilderness Trails Questions  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Serbonze

• First Bike
Wilderness Trails Questions
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:39 AM »
Hello all!  I've been lurking here for the last month, trying to get all of the information that I can.  My wife and I just purchased new mountain bikes after having ours stolen about five years ago.  I was directed to this site my a member of a car forum, and it's been a great resource. 

I've downloaded the Wilderness Trails map that includes Flatwoods, Trout Creek, and Morris Bridge.  From the discussions that I see on the forum, I have been able to gather a little information.  However, I'm still at a loss as to what some of the numbers mean on the map.  Is there a post that I missed somewhere with a key or explanation?  It appears that many of the discussions regarding the trails are dated over a year ago.

My wife and I are planning to go this weekend, and I found an old thread from September of 2009 that suggests a route starting at "4" and going to "16".  But there are a ton of numbers in between and I have no idea what they mean.   ;D

Can someone take a few moments to explain, or point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Wilderness Trails Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
The numbers on the map correspond to trail markers on the ground (wood posts for the most part).  Between 4-16 you should see # 5-15  ;)

Offline Serbonze

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
LOL - so they are only reference points so you can figure out where you are on the map?  I guess that's easy enough.   :D

I assumed it would be more complicated than that. 

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
The trails are marked at intersections with white, numbered posts (about waist high, can't miss em).  Starting at Trout Creek with #1 and counting up from there, if you are riding the trails in a counterclockwise direction (refer to your trail map), all the way back around to #47 (north of Trout Creek Park on the other side of the river).  #4 is on the other side of Morris Bridge rd, at the dirt parking lot entrance to the trails referred to as the 'Hole in the Fence'.  #16 is out at the powerline easement, so #4 to #16 could get you a decent out-and-back ride of around 10 miles or more, depending on which other trails you rode while back there.  As you can see on the map there are quite a few.

The Swamp Club ride will start this Sunday morning from the Trout Creek parking lot at 9:00.  You can participate in a guided ride and familiarize yourself with the trails without getting lost.  I recommend it.
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Serbonze

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
Thanks!  I had a feeling that it was a silly question, but I have not been out there so I wanted to know ahead of time.  I will try to make it out on Sunday!

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
The white posts are easy to miss and easy to misread.

Look at the Top of the post for the location number.

Look to the sides of the post for the next location. The arrows points in the direction to travel to get to that next number (up or down). This makes it easier to find where you are and what direction you are traveling in.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Serbonze

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
Thanks!!

Offline Serbonze

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
I thought that I would thow out one more question...

What tire pressure do you run while on these trails?  I assume that it is not the same as if you were riding on the paved loop, but rather much lower.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
Pressure will depend on what your tire/suspension setup, your weight,and you're comfortable with.

I'm about 240 lbs with gear. I run 30/35 but my tires are tubeless now. With tubes I ran 35/40 to avoid pinch flats. That was probably higher than necessary but with all those roots  it's good insurance.

Lighter riders will run lower pressure to get the same performance. Full suspension bikes can run less in the rear than a hardtail.

Offline Serbonze

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »
Thanks!

Advertisement: