Author Topic: Going to try Stan's again, should I try the "Ghetto" set up?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Going to try Stan's again, should I try the "Ghetto" set up?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
now to go ride Boyette with my TUBED tires...

Rebel.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »
I'd try a tire with a good sidewall. I've run a bunch of tires, and the UST ones generally have a stiffer sidewall. So far I seem to still prefer the Conti Exp Pro in a 2.1. The Maxxis Ignitor is very similar, and lighter and works pretty well for me, but as a front tire I wasn't as happy with it as I was the Conti. I recently put a Maxxis Aspen 2.25 on the front, and run a little more air pressure than I did with the true UST tires. So far I really like it, rolls well even though it looks pretty big.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
I'd try a tire with a good sidewall. I've run a bunch of tires, and the UST ones generally have a stiffer sidewall. So far I seem to still prefer the Conti Exp Pro in a 2.1. The Maxxis Ignitor is very similar, and lighter and works pretty well for me, but as a front tire I wasn't as happy with it as I was the Conti. I recently put a Maxxis Aspen 2.25 on the front, and run a little more air pressure than I did with the true UST tires. So far I really like it, rolls well even though it looks pretty big.

I was looking at the Aspen's and may consider running one in the rear and a ignitor up front...
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
I like the looks of the Conti explorer Pro Jason... may have to try that...

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:46 AM »
I like something that will "dig" in out back, I tend to be a masher and "power" my way over things and up climbs. The Conti and Ignitor work well for me without a big rolling resistance or weight penalty, but still get the traction I need for my riding style. The Ignitor on the front I always felt I was "chasing" the front, felt like I could do better. It wasn't terrible, but always felt lacking when pushing hard and having the tire on edge. The Aspen doesn't feel like that, it feels as good or better than the 2.35 Ignitor I tried without the weight or rolling resistance penalty.

Everyone has to find what works for them, but don't give up on the tubeless thing. We are big dudes and light stuff doesn't usually do well for us. Light is nice, broke sucks.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
I put an old 2.10 Ignitor eXception on the rear and a 2.35 ignitor on the front for my ride yesterday and I could really feel the weight and rolling resistance difference. The 2.35 has to go, so I ordered a Intense System 1 tubeless http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=20592&style_id=320%20INTS10&detailName=Intense%20System%201%20Tire which looks similar to the Conti pattern. For $17 i'll give it a try. It is a 100 grams heavier than the Kenda's I was running, but 200 grams lighter than the 2.35 ignitor. if I don't like it I can always donate it to Trips for Kids...

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »
I tend to be a masher and "power" my way over things and up climbs.

Yes you do.  Saw proof of that on Sunday.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
you will be hard pressed to find a tire that rolls like the klite 2's. It does not sound like it was the tire or the stans fault, but a good old rock tear. bear creek is very rocky and it is pretty common to shred a tire on those north georgia trails.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
you will be hard pressed to find a tire that rolls like the klite 2's. It does not sound like it was the tire or the stans fault, but a good old rock tear. bear creek is very rocky and it is pretty common to shred a tire on those north georgia trails.

I don't think it was the Stan's fault, but it was a pain trying to replace the tire again with the Stan's setup... so much easier to slap a tube in than have to mess with trying to get the bead to seal and all that. I do think the tire has a much thinner side wall than most tires I have run, so I am going to try some a little heavier and with thicker sidewalls that will last me more than 1 month... I very much liked how the rode, but cant keep replacing tires every month or so...

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »

I don't think it was the Stan's fault, but it was a pain trying to replace the tire again with the Stan's setup... so much easier to slap a tube in than have to mess with trying to get the bead to seal and all that. I do think the tire has a much thinner side wall than most tires I have run, so I am going to try some a little heavier and with thicker sidewalls that will last me more than 1 month... I very much liked how the rode, but cant keep replacing tires every month or so...

Darrin is the only person that I know that has had any problem at all with the Kozmik lites....most people swear by them. Heck....I am not complaining since I just got a 3 week old tire....cheap!

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »

Darrin is the only person that I know that has had any problem at all with the Kozmik lites....most people swear by them. Heck....I am not complaining since I just got a 3 week old tire....cheap!

Yeah, it's me... LOL! The tire cant take my FAT butt...