Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Rented a 29er FS!!!  (Read 1788 times)

Offline lbheyman

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2010 Stumpy 29er
Rented a 29er FS!!!
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:37:48 AM »
So Thursday I rented a Stumpjumper 29er.  I absolutely loved it!!!  I currently have a Gary Fisher Opie and I am looking to upgrade, so I rented this bike and rode out at Alafia this week.  I want to rent a Gary Fisher HIFI 29er and give it a shot before I commit to buy...Right now I am definitely leaning towards the Stumpjumper though!!!  Just wanted to share my experience.  ;D

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Rented a 29er FS!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
I got to ride a GF Rumblefish at a demo day. I was impressed. Handles similar to my 26" HiFi but it eats up trail chatter better and felt more stable on ledge drops. Seemed like it rolls the transition a little smoother than my 26 does. It's a much more expensive bike than my HiFi Plus so it's not a direct comparison of just the wheel size. If I had the budget it would be on my short list.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
At last years Santos FTF, Barbara demoed 3 or 4 bikes before her Uber-V came back from the shop. Of everything she rode, the GF HiFi 29er was her favorite BY FAR. I must admit to being impressed with it as well.

I think she even liked it more than the Uber-V, but just didn't want to tell me so. Of course, the last incarnation of the Uber-V was too small for her so maybe the new one will change her mind.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Dean Palmer

• First Bike
  • Good people drink good beer
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
I want to rent a Gary Fisher HIFI 29er and give it a shot before I commit to buy...Right now I am definitely leaning towards the Stumpjumper though!!!  Just wanted to share my experience.  ;D

I have the 2009 HiFi Pro 29'er and love it. What size are you looking to ride? 

Offline lbheyman

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:34:06 PM »
I am looking for a 19 (1/2) inch right in that ball park.  I would like to demo a HIFI but not sure who demos them.  If anyone knows let me know.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »
I am looking for a 19 (1/2) inch right in that ball park.  I would like to demo a HIFI but not sure who demos them.  If anyone knows let me know.

Not sure if you are looking for other bikes, but I am on a RIP9 size large and you are welcome to demo it.  If you liked the Rumblefish, I think you will have an interest in trying out the RIP.  The large has a 24.5" ETT.  Mine is set-up 1x9, but it is fairly nice.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

I don't think any of the Trek stores around here do rental demos. Not that I know of at least. If you know what you want a parking lot demo can probably let you know if you like the sizing but really that's about it.

Trek is one of the major sponsors at the Santos Fat Tire Festival that's coming up in a few week. I'm know they'll be demoing all the Trek brands, plus other vendors will probably be there too.

Offline lbheyman

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:43:25 PM »

I don't think any of the Trek stores around here do rental demos. Not that I know of at least. If you know what you want a parking lot demo can probably let you know if you like the sizing but really that's about it.

Trek is one of the major sponsors at the Santos Fat Tire Festival that's coming up in a few week. I'm know they'll be demoing all the Trek brands, plus other vendors will probably be there too.

I would like to make it up there and see what they have to offer.

Offline lbheyman

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »

Not sure if you are looking for other bikes, but I am on a RIP9 size large and you are welcome to demo it.  If you liked the Rumblefish, I think you will have an interest in trying out the RIP.  The large has a 24.5" ETT.  Mine is set-up 1x9, but it is fairly nice.

I would love to ride it but I think I would get my hopes up and then not be able to afford it!  I want to stay at the $2k or below price point.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
I ride an FSR 29er and love it. I paid $2400 by buying last years model (2008) it was originally listed at $4100. It has top of the line components.
The only negative thing I have found is pedal strikes. Some of that is my fault and some of that is caused by a low BB. I believe after 2009 they raised the BB clearance by about 1/4 inch but don't quote me on that.
I love the bike...it sucks on switchbacks, but I sucked at them my whole life anyway!!!!!

Coaches RIP9 is sweet. If I could afford it I might go that route but with the component group I got Specialized worked for me.
You are welcome to try my bike anytime
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:36:39 AM »
I know AJ's has a new Stumpy 29er Test Sled.  I would suggest at least giving it a go.  That way you can see/feel how the different suspension platforms react.  The S Comp 29er lists for $2500, that is a heck of a good price considering the frame alone sells for $2000.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:02 AM »
I know AJ's has a new Stumpy 29er Test Sled.  I would suggest at least giving it a go.  That way you can see/feel how the different suspension platforms react.  The S Comp 29er lists for $2500, that is a heck of a good price considering the frame alone sells for $2000.

Ah, that is what he rented I think...

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
Duh, guess if I had re-read the original post, that would have helped.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:50:32 AM »
Duh, guess if I had re-read the original post, that would have helped.

Thats OK Coach, it stinks getting old like us..:)

Offline lbheyman

• First Bike
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »

Ah, that is what he rented I think...

You are correct...that is what I rented!!!  I loved it though.

Advertisement: