Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: balm boyette  (Read 2351 times)

Offline mckshrmptn

• First Bike
  • My Bike: specialized p
balm boyette
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
I wanna ride this place, should I try it by myself?? or should I tag along ,,any tips if one goes it alone??? thnx for any info

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: balm boyette
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »
I wanna ride this place, should I try it by myself?? or should I tag along ,,any tips if one goes it alone??? thnx for any info

Awesome Place! beautiful Trails.. But HUGE! i would def tag along for your 1st time. Bring a map if you ride by yourself.. Check out our website's Balm Boyette Section, we have a few of the trails on Video.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
There's so much to chose from at this place.  Cross country style miles; fun twisting, turning, short ups and downs; to the excitement and fun of Ridgeline.  If you try it yourself bring a map.  Look around for the tall antennas NW of the park.  When out in the far Eastern end this will orientate you back towards parking.The property is kind of split up.  To the South (right (?) as you're going out) is more flat, twisting, cross county type of trails.  The left (?) has more dips and drops with fairly fast singletrack types of trails.  Nearer the East end, once you've experienced The Abyss, is Pandemonium, Sidewinder, SWAMP Thing, Ridgeline and Garry's Loop.  No matter how you slice it fun can be had on all of the trails.

Ride them all to see for yourself what they are like.  And if you have some
free time - join us on the 2nd Saturday of the month to help keep them in prime condition.We build what we ride.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
Once you've been out there a few times you'll just know where everything is. The first time can be a bit confusing. First time I was out there I got a bit disoriented coming out of Upper Loch Ness and at the southern end of East Meadow. Some people seem to have issues with finding Ridgeline though I never personally understood it.

After doing a few workdays out there driving in on the fire roads rather than just chaining trails together I think I have a better appreciation for how everything fits together.

What kind of rider are you?

If you like a technical and challenging rollercoaster there's lots of those in the trails in the NE of the park. Fast twisty singletrack, lots of that to the south. Some trails like East Meadow and Spur may be wide open with almost nothing in the way of technical features but they'll give you a workout instead as you fly down the big hill and grunt your way back up it. The west and northern trails are kind of a mixed bag, some twisty and tight but can still be navigated without a PhD in Handlebar geometry, a bit of the up and down but nothing really intimidating, and a bit of exposure on the ledges but you're never forced right to the edge.

There really is something for everyone. If I lived closer I'd bring my cyclocross bike out and just run it up and down East Meadow and Spur for a workout. But since it's a bit of a drive I just bring the mountain bike so I can ride everything.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:10:54 AM »

Come out to the SWAMP guided ride on Sunday 7/14/10 we leave the parking lot at 9am. It's a great way to learn the trails with no worries of getting lost.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline mckshrmptn

• First Bike
  • My Bike: specialized p
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
Thanx for all the info,,,so this saturday should be track maintenance only?? no riding after??

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
Some folks ride afterwards, so bring your bike if you want.  Wes and Ken will be leading the workday.  They leave parking by 9:00 a.m. sharp.  RSVP to trails at swampclub dot org so they know you're coming.

Thanx for all the info,,,so this saturday should be track maintenance only?? no riding after??

Offline Dean Palmer

• First Bike
  • Good people drink good beer
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
Me and a few guys will be riding Boyette around 10am on Sunday and anyone is welcome to tag along. Just drop me a line at Dean_Palmer@jabil.com.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
Me and a few guys will be riding Boyette around 10am on Sunday and anyone is welcome to tag along. Just drop me a line at Dean_Palmer@jabil.com.

cool, i'll try to make it, got a fishing tourney on sat so depending on the hang over i'll be playing it by headache.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
First time I was out there I got a bit disoriented coming out of Upper Loch Ness and at the southern end of East Meadow.

Upper Loch Ness doesnt reach East Meadow.  ULN starts after the bridge from Loch Ness to the RT turn to either Randys on the left or West Meadow to the right.  Either way, you make a u turn to the rt and ride a good 500 ft.
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
First time I was out there I got a bit disoriented coming out of Upper Loch Ness and at the southern end of East Meadow.

Upper Loch Ness doesnt reach East Meadow.  ULN starts after the bridge from Loch Ness to the RT turn to either Randys on the left or West Meadow to the right.  Either way, you make a u turn to the rt and ride a good 500 ft.

Clinton knows that, he said AND, which means he got disoriented at BOTH areas. The South end of East Meadow is out by the Quads and you can get turned around out there easy even with a map if you don't go out there much. Clinton rode with us the entire trail system last month, so he knows the trail lay out well.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
Thanks Darrin. That is what I meant. Today you could drop me anywhere in that park and within a few minutes I'm pretty sure I'd know where I am. That wasn't the case last year. Those are both place where you come out of the trail and it's not obvious from the map where you should be going next. There are a few other places similar. I talk to a lot of confused looking people out there from time to time. The system isn't hard to learn but it's not intuitive. I'm pretty good at maps and finding myself. I was never really lost since I knew about where I was. I just didn't know where to go next. I'm sure everyone who's ridden out there a bunch has probably helped someone find the parking lot.
I'm not a big fan of holding peoples hands but it would be nice to have some better signage. Especially the, "Exit -->," variety to help out some of the less oriented visitors.

On a side note to thoroughly derail this thread, I'd really like to take a couple of spray cans and renew the trail markings on South Blue at Croom. I know the place pretty well and still it's easy to accidentally get on the enduro trails. In December while riding I blocked off a bunch of enduro detours and tore down a bunch of the 'X -Wrong Way' signs that could confuse people. Still I know that people will get to a fork where the trail isn't very defined and you usually don't see any blue dots but the green markings are all over the place. I know how to get back on track and I always ride Croom with a GPS but judging by the bike tire tracks I kept seeing while exploring the enduro section that spurs off to the south I'm not the only one.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

I'm not a big fan of holding peoples hands but it would be nice to have some better signage. Especially the, "Exit -->," variety to help out some of the less oriented visitors.

Ive stated this to many SWAMP board members and they all say anymore would be "oversignage"  :(   I feel otherwise.  I have personally changed at least 50 peoples minds on Boyette by showing them 18 miles of flow without repeat trails (other than two).  They at least need a few more "do not enter's" and a few flow arrow.  I have offered.  Iwas told it would be done by LAST July.  Hopefully, they will listen soon...

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »

Clinton knows that, he said AND, which means he got disoriented at BOTH areas. The South end of East Meadow is out by the Quads and you can get turned around out there easy even with a map if you don't go out there much. Clinton rode with us the entire trail system last month, so he knows the trail lay out well.

sorry to upset you.  i stand corrected about your boyfriend, shizz!  chill out.   and I misread.  Sorry.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »

sorry to upset you.  i stand corrected about your boyfriend, shizz!  chill out.   and I misread.  Sorry.

Koby, I was just correcting you, I don't get upset. I would have said the same thing if Clinton would have posted about your comment wrong.

BUT to address the sign-age issue, Garry had sent out a email on the SWAMP Yahoo group last week in response to another SWAMP leaders concern about the lack of good sign's,  including "Exit" signs and post maps. He said that they are going to be getting more out there very soon.

Advertisement: