Author Topic: Riding Croom without a guide...getting to know the trails  (Read 529 times)

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Cannondale Rush Feminine 3
Riding Croom without a guide...getting to know the trails
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »
Hey all.  Have been up to Croom 2x.  Slept late this past Sunday (doh!  how many warnings to reset clock???) and missed the guided ride.  Had printed the map and put it in a plastic sleeve.  We were somewhat prepared.

We took off from the parking lot and were doing well until we got to the pits area.  Being the weenie that I am, we walked a lot. 

I liked the moguls and the longer inclines and longer, more gentle descents, but I am in no way ready to head down a long steep hill at a 45 degree angle (over a log which would send me sailing into the air)...(Oh, I can hear all the younger and more brave saying how cool that would be) and go back up the other side. equally as steep.  So, is there a way around the more challenging stuff? 

We kept hitting FR9 but didn't know where we were on FR9.  Thankfully we ran into someone with a GPS and were able to find our way back.

What does the Yellow Trail look like?  Is that more weenie friendly?

What about the Red Trail?  'Clay Pit' doesn't sound Jen friendly, either.

I'm just trying to get a good ride in.  If we park at are #2, do the yellow loop, then the red trail back to the bailout onto Croom Road, would that give us a nice workout without too much difficult stuff?  Hope to ride there again Friday.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jennifer

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: Riding Croom without a guide...getting to know the trails
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
Hey all.  Have been up to Croom 2x.  Slept late this past Sunday (doh!  how many warnings to reset clock???) and missed the guided ride.  Had printed the map and put it in a plastic sleeve.  We were somewhat prepared.

We took off from the parking lot and were doing well until we got to the pits area.  Being the weenie that I am, we walked a lot. 

I liked the moguls and the longer inclines and longer, more gentle descents, but I am in no way ready to head down a long steep hill at a 45 degree angle (over a log which would send me sailing into the air)...(Oh, I can hear all the younger and more brave saying how cool that would be) and go back up the other side. equally as steep.  So, is there a way around the more challenging stuff? 

We kept hitting FR9 but didn't know where we were on FR9.  Thankfully we ran into someone with a GPS and were able to find our way back.

What does the Yellow Trail look like?  Is that more weenie friendly?

I'm just trying to get a good ride in.  If we park at are #2, do the yellow loop, then the red trail back to the bailout onto Croom Road, would that give us a nice workout without too much difficult stuff?  Hope to ride there again Friday.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jennifer

Yes the Yellow trail is more "weeney" friendly as you put it.

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:51:15 PM »

The actual clay pit is entirely optional. There's really not much too it, just ride around the periphery until you find the trail again.

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
Jen if you park in lot #1 and head North on Blue for 8 miles you will come to the 8 mile bail out. Exit there and go to the limestone road and hang a left, ride about 1/2 a mile and watch for the trail sign on your left. That sign is the 12 mile bailout, enter there and you just bypassed the 4 miles of GNAR around the pit area. The Yellow loop is very Jen freindly, you should check it out for sure :) Red is Very tame as well and serves to connect the yellow and blue loops together.

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:19:29 PM »
My friend went OTB on that log. PT kept her off the bike & no running for 6 weeks afterward. All because I told her to get a lot of momentum to climb the ensuing hill. I meant after going over the log, and she interpreted it as 'bomb down the hill as fast as you can.'
Aside from that, once you become more familiar with the trails (or send someone a little braver ahead) you'll be able to see how to sidestep the more difficult stuff. In the case of that segment, instead of making the U-turn to go down the hill, go about 80° right of the trail for maybe 40 feet and you'll be back on the trail where it comes out of the obstacle.