Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 5 good miles  (Read 1604 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
5 good miles
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:36:36 PM »
Today i was lucky enough to get to participate in Harvey Minton's Skills class at Alafia.  We only road for five miles but it was the most fun five i have ever road.  The whole group was a fun bunch for sure.   The little details to so many aspects of riding that i learned helped me leaps and bounds.  That was only the third time that i have ever been to Alafia and i never before have done anything harder than the intermediate trails there.  With great instruction and a lot of encouragement i was able to tackle things i never dreamed i could.  I want to say a big thank you to Harvey as well as everybody else in the group today.  There was blood and broken bike parts (i noticed cleaning my bike that i had totally tweaked my big chain ring) so it was a complete ride...lol.

I am a happy student and give the teacher an A+ for sure.

I highly recommend this class to anybody wanted to improve their skills.

:)

Jonathon

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: 5 good miles
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »
I highly recommend this class to anybody wanted to improve their skills.
Amen, brother. Good to see you out there.
The skills training is great, the good portion of the day was spent on lectures and one of the best topic I was interested was bike fitting. There are so many books and websites that says how you should get the right sized bike but Harvey have some good things pointed out how you should look like and fell in the *pit and myself being not the ideal mesomorph body structure type learned a good deal of valuable tips. Also after the lecture we ride (duh!)and we walk the tricky trails. Harvey will point out which should be a good line and explains why and ride the section for us to watch. I know a lot of you guys fly these sections and obstacles with ease and finese but it is always good to watch a person explaining things while he is doing it.
All in all it was fun and you guys should sign up... it is only $10.

Is there an advance "advance class" that covers; how to hop a 24" log, how to tabletop, how to dirt jump, etc...

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:30:11 PM »

how to tabletop, how to dirt jump, etc...

i think that class is at Oldsmar BMX track - ....just kidding - i live right down the street from that track and they had a national race there last weekend and those guys FLY over jumps, rail corners and wheelie/pump through the whoops.  if you haven't checked out these bmxers it is for sure worth a trip to the track.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »
Were you guys allow to simple walk the tricky sections if you didn't want to do them?  Could a person seat in and get all the terminology and hear/watch the skills without trying things?  I guess is not worth it since you are there to learn and you should try it since that is what the class is for.  Or just not go to it period. 

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »
you didnt have to try anything you didnt want too...i am not a good rider at all...i just started in august and there was only one section that i thoguht better of riding.  Harvey makes it fun for everybody.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 05:09:31 PM »
Marcel,

If you didn't feel cormfortable riding a tricky section, you could walk it.  Everybody tried the easier part of Franks Loop, but several didn't try the harder part.  Harvey was cool about it, didn't want anybody to get hurt, like in the earlier class days.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Advertisement: