Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How often and where do you typically ride?  (Read 12992 times)

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
How often and where do you typically ride?
« on: February 25, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
I got into mountain biking a couple weeks ago, and besides some rather boring and incredibly short local trails, I've been heading out to Alafia. I try to get to Alafia every weekend, either Sat. or Sun. or both. I'm trying to get out there during the week as well. I'm from Bradenton so Boyette is marginally closer and I may hit that this coming to see what it's like. My best friend lives in Apollo Beach so he's pretty close to both of those parks and just bought a bike last week. He also bought his wife a bike so we're trying to get her to come with us for the tame trails.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Re: How often and where do you typically ride?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
Welcome to the SWAMP Forums!

We have a scheduled ride every Sunday at 9:00 am.  See the schedule here.

We also have Show and Go rides (like every Tuesday).  More info here.

The Calendar is another place to check scheduled rides.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:01:44 PM »
Well, there are quite a few trails around here and not all of them are tame..  Being from North Carolina, well..

yes most of the trails around here are different..  but they are technical in their own way..  sand introduces a completely different type of mountain biking..  but Boyette and Alafia are two pretty decent trails around here..

then theres Carter Road.
Santos.
and Reddick as far as other technical trails around..

=Bob  ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »
Up until recently about 12 hours a week. Flatwoods is nearest to me, so I ride there alot, Santos is alway my first choice but it is too far to ride regularly, Alafia and I have some history now, and it is great!

Welcome to the world of mountain biking, it is awesome, and there are a bunch of bike addicted freaks (including myself) on this forum who will be happy to share there experiences.

Here is my unsolicited advice:

Make sure you have a comfortable helmet.
Get a good hydration system. i.e. Camel back etc.
Comfortable shoes.
Padded pants (you have no idea how important that is!).
Keep a spare tube and a compact tool kit.
Buy band aids. (not kidding!).
Aleve, keep some on hand at all times.
Keep your bike clean(ish) and in good working order.
Eat well.
Keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all time (especially your legs,it is a long story).
Ride Ride Ride. It will change your life.

Gregg ;D

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:17:12 PM »
In order of closeness to me - Morris Bridge, Boyette, Alafia, Croom.  I know these trails well and very much enjoy each of them for different reasons. Welcome to mountain biking.  It is an awesome sport with a great bunch of people involved to make it so.  Definately having the right equipment, (helmet, shoes, hydration, nutrition,how to knowledge, and a decent first aid kit wil makel you a happier rider.
Join in on the Sunday group rides and holiday rides and you will meet up with some good friends to enjoy the sport with.
Keep the rubber side down.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 07:03:50 AM »
RiskEveryThing,
yea welcome aboard....  Hey I am in Apollo Beach as well.  I live in Lake Saint Clair a subdivision behind Covington Park that is in front of East Bay High School.  Give ma shout next time you go to Boyette and if is in the evening or so, I may be able to head over there.

I normally do the group ride on Sundays.  From time to time, I get out and help mantain the trail on a Saturday.  There is always time to go riding after the work days on Saturdays and they feed you very decently.  Ask Kevan said, check the calender for rides and work days.  Without these trails around here, we wouldn't have any place to ride so try to vounteer once in a while.  I normally do the Tuesday evening ride specially now that they are about to switch over to the late pm to MB Hole in the fence with there still light.  I will miss the night ride but some of us have plans to continue that night ride alive.  Just don't ask me here please.... :-) 

Once the time changes there is agroup of about 5-10 riders that get out to Boyette every Thursday evening around 4-5.  We ride until  sunset every week.  Is an unofficial ride of course.  besides, that those three days, I try to get one or two more rides in the week here in the neighborhood and sometimes a trail.

You can always post your ride intentions here within 1-2 days notice and you may find others that want to ride too.  See you on the trails.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »
Up until recently about 12 hours a week. Flatwoods is nearest to me, so I ride there alot, Santos is alway my first choice but it is too far to ride regularly, Alafia and I have some history now, and it is great!

Welcome to the world of mountain biking, it is awesome, and there are a bunch of bike addicted freaks (including myself) on this forum who will be happy to share there experiences.

Here is my unsolicited advice:

Make sure you have a comfortable helmet.
Get a good hydration system. i.e. Camel back etc.
Comfortable shoes.
Padded pants (you have no idea how important that is!).
Keep a spare tube and a compact tool kit.
Buy band aids. (not kidding!).
Aleve, keep some on hand at all times.
Keep your bike clean(ish) and in good working order.
Eat well.
Keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all time (especially your legs,it is a long story).
Ride Ride Ride. It will change your life.

Gregg ;D

In addition the best advice I have ever seen was in someones signature.  Remember "Trees have the right of way"  ;)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:08 AM »
and large rocks too.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »
At least once a week on the weekend or if lucky on Friday afternoon too.
I live around New Tampa. I ride at Wilderness Trails for convenience / Alafia, Reddick, Carter, Santos for a healthy dose of technical trails / Boyette and Croom for mileage and and some technical sections.
Hitting a tree is always an issue to me. ;D

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
My friend in Appollo Beach lives off Big Bend Road, in the Kings Lake subdivision. He's not too far from the 301 intersection that heads off to Boyette and Alafia. I'm hoping to make the Intro to Mountain Biking course at Trout Creek this weekend. If my friend isn't working would it be OK to bring him along as well? He's not a member of SWAMP (yet)... but he makes me look like a pansy at downhills. His first day on his first mountain bike (Trek 4300), he did all the descents on Gatorback except for the very large drop-off after the tree and pavered pad. I make him look like a wimp at climbing though, so it almost evens out.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
He lives across the road from me.  You can't bring him to the class unless he has pre-registered with Wes.  But he can attend the group rides as a non-member.  You can ride with SWAMP for about 2-3 rides before you should join.   Sort of like try before you buy.  But for $20/year you can't go wrong.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »
As it turns out, he is still recovering from a recent (non-biking related) surgery and won't be making the class.

Also, after our trip to Alafia he went out on his own on a weekday morning and decided to ride Moonscape. He endo-ed on a descent and almost broke his leg. Since he was alone he had to crawl/hobble back out. He said his whole femur went black on that leg, but it cleared up quite a bit during surgery because of the IV.

I hope it's a good reality check for him. You'd expect a Paramedic to be in better touch with his mortality... but then he's also seen people survive some pretty serious injurys.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 04:56:40 PM »
I usually only get to ride on Sunday at the club rides, sometimes Saturday.  Most Saturdays I am working on the trails and don't ride afterwards.  Maintaining and building new trails is hard work, but also fun.  The guys and gals at the works days are a great bunch of people. 

My favorite places are Alafia and Boyette. 

Kenny
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:59:29 PM by Stumpjumper »
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »
Riskeverything,

I love your online name, as I sit here recovering from tibia reconstuction surgery.  It seems that one of the paramedics that wheeled my broken butt out of Alafia mentioned that he rode. Do you think that is your buddy? It was on Jan 14th at 9:25 a.m..

Moonscape is a bitch, I had been able to ride about 90 percent of it just before my little incident. Ride it with caution.

Gregg

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »
Stumpjumper, you get a gold star next to your name!!!  ;D Thanks for doing the trail work!  Just kidding, but seriously it's people like you that make it all happen. yeah i know, there are some serious volunteer hours put in by alot of youz guys out there and if you want to post up I will give you a gold star too!!!  ;D

Just throwin' some props around!
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: