Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Eco Challenge  (Read 988 times)

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
Eco Challenge
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
Anyone doing the Eco Challenge next Sat at Alafia?
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
Re: Eco Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
yep....racing the ultimate with my buddy.

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
I'm thinking of doing it solo. Sounds like a lot of fun.
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
solo would be fun if you have your own kayak....I didn't want to paddle a canoe myself

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
I'm doing it solo. Didn't have any luck convincing any of my friends to do it with me. The ones that were interested either had other plans or are doing the Twilight Crit downtown later in the day.

I'm planning to do the ultimate. Only problem I see is the run. If I can do the 4 miles without my knees detonating the rest of it is easy.

Solo paddling the canoe won't be fun but shouldn't be a problem unless it rains and we have to fight the current upstream but I doubt that. Wish it were a kayak.

It's going to be a busy day. Adventure race, volunteering for the Bike Co Op at the crit, then have to pick my ex up at the airport. Actually it's probably going to be a busy week after that.

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
I'm already signed up solo but willing to partner up with someone if the event organizers have no objection.  solo canoe isn't easy for sure.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
Wouldn't think it would be. I've been looking for a partner for a while but everyone I've asked is either not interested, racing at the downtown crit that day, or otherwise occupied.

So long as the run doesn't come first I see no issue with working with someone else for the canoe. My bike time will be pretty decent, not blazing fast but on a 4 mile course I won't be holding anyone back severely either.
My run is going to be slow. I'm not a runner and my knees have a tendency to grenade when pounded on. I've been practicing at least weekly for the last month and my best is a half & half jog/fast walk pace.
Ideally if the canoe was first I'd partner up with someone for the canoe to get that out of the way then they could just do there own thing for the rest of it. My bike tires are tubeless and I haven't had a single issue with them so far so I'm going to gamble and run light with no spare tube or tools. If I rip a sidewall, badly burp a tire, break a chain, or something else then I'll just take it how it is and hike-a-bike from there on. Probably still carry my little first aid kit though, weighs almost nothing and doesn't take up much space. Would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'm not racing to win or place. I know I won't. It's just for fun for me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:17:28 PM by ClintonRH »

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:10:37 PM »
I heard that the Ultimate Challenge would 4.5 trail mile run, 1 mile canoe, 10 mile trail bike. Not sure if that was the order but that is the order they gave me when I asked for distances. Plus there is supposed to be some mystery event or events added for our pleasure.
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »
I heard 2 canoe / 4 run / 6 bike but I don't remember where or from who so I'm probably confusing something.

1 mile canoe doesn't sound that bad solo so long as it's not against a current. Would still rather partner up on it but if it comes after the run it's unlikely I'd pick a random partner that would have the same slow pace as me. Wish it was a kayak. I much prefer kayaks to canoes but I don't have one of my own.

I'm really hoping the trail running part is on some rougher terrain. I'm pretty good at that. My paintball experience taught me be quick over uneven terrain and hill climbing uses the muscles that I've been giving lots of work on the bike. It's the flat hard surface stuff that gives me trouble.

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
Out of fairness to all soloists I wouldn't think the AR groups would allow teaming for only one segment, not sure how serious the ECO is but Pangea certainly wouldn't allow it.  I think I'll just stick with solo and give it a good hard push.  Looking forward to a great time!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:07 AM »
Well yeah of course. If you teamed for one section you're a team for the whole event for purposes of scoring. That would be fine be me. I'm not racing anyone but myself. Any position greater than DFL will be a pleasant surprise.

Advertisement: