Author Topic: since im an idiot........  (Read 570 times)

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
since im an idiot........
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
...and forgot to strap down the bikes on the rack, my wifes new bike took 45 cartwheels down boyette rd at 50 mph.   Needs new rim.  dented the fox fork, rear end and ripped up the grips and bent the Deity bars...

Im sorry honey :(
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Re: since im an idiot........
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
I hate hearing this. Did you read my story about at Specialized jumping off the back of my truck at 80 mph?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
I hate hearing this. Did you read my story about at Specialized jumping off the back of my truck at 80 mph?

yep.  like 6  months ago or so right??  Hers is a Specialized too.  One thing ill say is.  The welds are THE POOP!!!!!!!

Offline OHIOFINFAN4LIFE

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized comp 29er
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Since I'm new to the whole biking thing and my next purchase is going to be a bike rack ( new shoes coming this week !),....this is good information. I will now always remember to "lock down" my bike before it is in transit.

Offline Chriss

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Epic and stumpjumper HT
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
LOL,how about the idiot who went through the mc donalds drive thru just south of carter road on hwy 60 with his once nice bike on the roof rack....Yep I did it and the creeking sound it made is still stuck in my head! :o

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Since I'm new to the whole biking thing and my next purchase is going to be a bike rack ( new shoes coming this week !),....this is good information. I will now always remember to "lock down" my bike before it is in transit.

My friend that sold her bike also has a brand new car rack
FL MTB Trails & Race Videos:
www.ProEdgeBiker.com

ContourHD Cams

Offline bigbunion

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
all I can say is that it can happen to anyone.  Thanks for the post and heads up!

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »
LOL,how about the idiot who went through the mc donalds drive thru just south of carter road on hwy 60 with his once nice bike on the roof rack....Yep I did it and the creeking sound it made is still stuck in my head! :o

I did that in a Rent a Center truck.  took the whole top down.  forgot i wasnt driving my car.

Offline OHIOFINFAN4LIFE

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized comp 29er
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »
Hey Pro Edge,
   It doesn't happen to be a Saris Bones 3 bike rack ??

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
It happens to all of us once. Had a good Samaritan yell at me on 75 doing about 70...my sons bike was hanging on by one small bungy and flying around..... It would have been toast had I not pulled over.....still have the marks on the back of the red truck.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Moto Ace

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
    • Yup.... since 1999
  • My Bike: Matt Chester Mutinyman
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:16 PM »
One puff too many eh?

Offline luckynumber9

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:41 AM »
I got rear ended with the bikes on the rack bout a year ago.  When insurance companies see bikes worth thousands of $$$'s its not easy collecting

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Cannondale Rush Feminine 3
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:33 AM »
Happened to me, too.  Hubby didn't bungy them down properly (I will blame him since I was in the restroom at the time.)

Fortunately, it was just the older hybrid Giant that I started out with off road...my friend had paid $10 for it in a thrift store (her words, 'I think Giant's supposed to be a good brand')  and I invested another $50 at LBS (unnamed, and after a few times of trying to be supportive, never visited again.)

We had just turned out of TC and it happened right by the interstate exit.  Older bike, steel frame, hardly any damage.

But yes, it can happen to anyone.

I so love my RAV4.  We fit 3 bikes in the interior, and 3 peeps, heading up to Croom this past Sunday.  All 3 bikes fit in without a problem, front wheels off, upright, bungied together.

Jim (what's his last name??? the Macgyver guy) has an elegant set up in the interior of his Honda Element.  IMHO, if you can transport your bike inside your vehicle you're better off.

Jennifer

Offline Redriderpro

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »
Misery loves company...

My 81 year old GIANT ridin(now) fellow (ex) co worker returning from Naples at night with his Gary Fisher dually strapped on his bike rack mounted to his car.

Somehwere near Sarasota another car pulls up beside him and gets his attention, yells out that his bike had falled off several miles back.

My friend being the man that he is, just said thanks and kept driving.
( He figured IF he could have found it, it would have taken a while and most likely would have been trashed anyway, plus it was late at night)

We went shopping for a new Giant, the day after he got back home.

And the rest of the story:  A couple of months later, while he was working in the front yard of his home with the garage door open, he went to the back yard to finish up there and when he finally went back into the garage, he saw right away that the Giant was missing.

Being a MTB rider ( @ 81 years old!) he went a purchased another Giant that same week.

Two lessons here:

1) Double check that the bikes are secured to whatever rack you are using
2) Plan for retirement, so that when something happens like this in your advanced years, you can just go buy a new Giant or two to get right back into the groove without sweating it.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 08:38:50 AM »
Jim (what's his last name??? the Macgyver guy) has an elegant set up in the interior of his Honda Element.  IMHO, if you can transport your bike inside your vehicle you're better off.

This is basically the reason I bought a Honda Element. I love the ability to lock up our bikes even when we just stop for dinner for an hour after a ride. I went with the stock Honda set up but I've seen some pretty cool home made bike racks for the interior.