Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: LAID OFF...Any Help???  (Read 2662 times)

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
LAID OFF...Any Help???
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:09:50 AM »
I was just laid off from my commercial banking underwriting position.  I have near 5 years in banking, most of which has been in commercial lending (analysis side, not sales).  I have 2 degrees in business: Finance and Management and am working towards my CFA designation.

I would appreciate any/all contacts/advice, as I am not well-connected in Tampa and I have a wife that doesn't work and three kids.  Thanks in advance guys.

For now, more time to ride!!!
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: LAID OFF...Any Help???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
I got nothing. I'm in a similar position, my Tampa contacts aren't very good. Most of my local friends are college students or working in entirely different fields. Got laid off in Feb. Have yet to find any thing. Not a single call-back or interview. Thankfully I don't have anyone relying on me.

Good luck.

Offline Joe Messina

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Specialized FSR XC Comp
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
I know one company looking to fill right now....they are called SYKES...they need people like you and based from tampa...good company too.....get after bro....

Joe Messina
Joeym
813-727-4555 cell
Joe Messina
Peace Out beautiful People....just sayin.....

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:35:22 AM »
I work for Clayton Services, we are a due diligence firm with a bunch of other irons in the fire.  We do have some commercial deals from time to time also.  PM me if you are interested and I can forward resumes to my recruiters.  erik

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
You might contact Darrin at AJ's and ask if his dad is still VP Commercial business at Valrico Bank...
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
I was just laid off from my commercial banking underwriting position.  I have near 5 years in banking, most of which has been in commercial lending (analysis side, not sales).  I have 2 degrees in business: Finance and Management and am working towards my CFA designation.

I would appreciate any/all contacts/advice, as I am not well-connected in Tampa and I have a wife that doesn't work and three kids.  Thanks in advance guys.

For now, more time to ride!!!

First go to Vista print.com and order a set of free business cards. You can get them with just your basic information on them.

Next look up Free Networking International. They are a mostly local group that have meetings everyday all over the bay area.

The meetings are free and local business people attend this meetings along with some folks who are in transition. If you add a couple of these meetings a week to the normal stuff that you would do while job hunting, you may find that all of a sudden you know lots of folks in the area.

Good luck!

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »
Thanks guys...So far this is what I have going:

1) I didn't know Darrin's dad was at Valrico State Bank - my neighbor and his father-in-law are high-up in the commercial dept as well.

2) Phone interview with Hegemon Capital on Tuesday - anybody know Scott Griffin from Hegemon?

3) Potential Branch Manager position with my former employer, only sucky part is that I'd give up my "severance".  I am hoping to land the job with Hegemon and be able to keep 3 months of pay from my former employer.  I skip the pay if I stay with the company (which I will do if I don't have anything else going of course).

4) Commercial lender position with Pilot Bank.  I am supposedly getting a call next week from them (we'll see if it pans out).

Thanks for all the help guys.  I will keep you updated.  At least I was able to ride Alafia the last three days!!!
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
Had the phone interview with Hegemon Capital, a PE Investment Firm specializing in distressed real estate.  I will know by next week if I passed the initial screening ;)

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:41:04 AM »
Anybody know esteemed banker Brian Prince by any chance?

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
Interviewed for a retail branch manager position at the bank the laid me off from my commercial lending position.  Hiring manager (friend I have done a lot of work with and for over the last 9 months) told me he would be drafting an offer tonight with HR...said I am a bit overpriced based on my previously salary but would try to come close...

time will tell.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
Interviewed for a retail branch manager position at the bank the laid me off from my commercial lending position.  Hiring manager (friend I have done a lot of work with and for over the last 9 months) told me he would be drafting an offer tonight with HR...said I am a bit overpriced based on my previously salary but would try to come close...

time will tell.

good luck

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
fingers crossed

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »
hoping for the best with a giant bonus potential.

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »
So, it's been 2 weeks since the interview and "offer letter" scandal....here's what happened:

1. Retail Manager (mgr of all tampa branches) tells me he is going to make an offer with HR that night
2. HR calls me the next day to see how the interview went, and I say "Great" and she says "we are still interviewing other candidates..." and I say, "Um, Calvin said he was drafting an offer last night with you"  and she replied, "Oh, well I better call him then"
3. Calvin (Retail Mgr) calls me an hour later and says that we'll have to go through the whole process of interviewing with the Tampa Market Pres and Florida Pres and will call me when he wants me to come in next.
4. Near 10 days go by and he won't return my emails, calls, and nothing is scheduled.  He finally answers my call (because I called from a work phone) and gets all nervous and says, "we have to go through the process of interviewing all the candidates"...

WTF?  This is getting out of control.  I think they are going to screw me...I mean, how do you go from "going to make you an offer tonight" to two weeks later avoiding my calls/emails???

This upsets me...

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
So, it's been 2 weeks since the interview and "offer letter" scandal....here's what happened:

1. Retail Manager (mgr of all tampa branches) tells me he is going to make an offer with HR that night
2. HR calls me the next day to see how the interview went, and I say "Great" and she says "we are still interviewing other candidates..." and I say, "Um, Calvin said he was drafting an offer last night with you"  and she replied, "Oh, well I better call him then"
3. Calvin (Retail Mgr) calls me an hour later and says that we'll have to go through the whole process of interviewing with the Tampa Market Pres and Florida Pres and will call me when he wants me to come in next.
4. Near 10 days go by and he won't return my emails, calls, and nothing is scheduled.  He finally answers my call (because I called from a work phone) and gets all nervous and says, "we have to go through the process of interviewing all the candidates"...

WTF?  This is getting out of control.  I think they are going to screw me...I mean, how do you go from "going to make you an offer tonight" to two weeks later avoiding my calls/emails???

This upsets me...

happens all the time... last couple of times I interviewed at places got the same type of treatment.. no one has common courtesy anymore...

Advertisement: