Author Topic: Help bleeding brakes  (Read 472 times)

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • It's always a race!!
  • My Bike: Epic expert
Help bleeding brakes
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
My pads are too close together to put my front tire back on.I assume I need to bleed the brakes.I did not get a manual on the avid juicy ultimate brakes.I did a google search and it appears I need a syringe to complete the task.Question,is there a way for me to bleed without any special tools?? Thanks for any help.

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Help bleeding brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »
stick a flathead screwdriver in between um and pry em apart. no need to bleed.

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »
I would be catious using a screwdriver, to much pressure and you will be buying new pads. If you go that route use a very broad(wide tip) flat head, a better option would be to use that plastic disc that comes in the brakes during shipping(I always carry one just in case not a bad idea to slip it in place whenever the front wheel is off the bike ;) It would be less risky if you can remove the pads and press the calipers back in with a 8 mm box wrench (be careful that the box end fits around the pin your pads mount to and not on it or you risk breaking it off)Then reinstall your pads and your off  :)

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »
and nextime, remember to not squeeze the brake levers when the wheel has been removed......

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:30 AM »
If you still have the little red plastic wedge that came with them then you can just shove that between them. Squeeze the lever a few times to reset the valving and you're good.

That little plastic wedge should be pushed into the caliper when you take the wheel off for transport to prevent this problem. Most people don't use it but that's what it's there for.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • It's always a race!!
  • My Bike: Epic expert
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:48:09 PM »
A big thanks to everyone.I used two butter knives and got the pads apart.Good as new.
See,I already got my swamp membership moneys worth!!! ;D