Author Topic: TAKE YOUR "ONE A DAY"  (Read 688 times)

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
TAKE YOUR "ONE A DAY"
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »
Everyone remembers to do something daily like take a vitamin, run or get coffee.  Ive been noticing that the busier Boyette gets, the more GARBAGE is EVERYWHERE!!  I dont know why some think its ok to drop GU wrappers and CLIF wrappers everywhere. Some of those dead animals we smell while riding are probably from choking animals.  I simply had a "pay it forward" type idea to clean up Boyette.  Even if this doesnt catch on, I will do it daily until it is clean.  PLEASE PICK UP THE FIRST PIECE OF TRASH YOU SEE!!!  That simple.  Pick it up, put it in your Camelpack.  I have a small bag so I cant grab the numerous bottles, but im sure someone can grab those.  PLEASE!!  help clean up Boyette, and anywhere else you go at that.  I will post my findings here daily......

Pick up things like:

Wrappers
bottles
broken bike parts
peeled decals
cigarette butts (though i never will understand the smoking athlete)

PLEASE HELP ME PAY IT FORWARD AND PRACTICE THE  "ONE A DAY"....

Thanks
HalfBreed
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Re: TAKE YOUR "ONE A DAY"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »
Everyone remembers to do something daily like take a vitamin, run or get coffee.  Ive been noticing that the busier Boyette gets, the more GARBAGE is EVERYWHERE!!  I dont know why some think its ok to drop GU wrappers and CLIF wrappers everywhere. Some of those dead animals we smell while riding are probably from choking animals.  I simply had a "pay it forward" type idea to clean up Boyette.  Even if this doesnt catch on, I will do it daily until it is clean.  PLEASE PICK UP THE FIRST PIECE OF TRASH YOU SEE!!!  That simple.  Pick it up, put it in your Camelpack.  I have a small bag so I cant grab the numerous bottles, but im sure someone can grab those.  PLEASE!!  help clean up Boyette, and anywhere else you go at that.  I will post my findings here daily......

Pick up things like:

Wrappers
bottles
broken bike parts
peeled decals

Thanks
HalfBreed

HB,

You do know it is not just bikers out there, right? not saying that bikers don't litter, but there are fisherman and hikers that frequent Boyette as well. I think it is a good idea to have a garbage clean-up at least once a quarter as part of the trail work-day though. There is a little park not far from my house (Sydney Dover Trails) that is used mostly by equestrians and fisherman that would make a GREAT mountain bike park, but the place is used as a dump by those that use it the most. I ride there every once in awhile and I get sick to my stomach when I see how much litter is strewn about the place.   
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline fatcamper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I really haven't noticed the trash out there, but I wouldn't deny that there probably is some. I try to stuff wrappers in my Camelbak as I'm sure most do.

You would think some of the goo makers would start using something similar to the new Sun Chips bag that is compostable, which apparently is different than biodegradable. We would be free to throw things anywhere we'd like if that were the case  ;) (Hope that comes across as sarcasm).

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »

I can care less on who smokes but Only a DUMB ASS Idiot would smoke in the woods and create a fire hazard.

Offline kj

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »

Pick up things like:

Wrappers
bottles
broken bike parts
peeled decals

Thanks
HalfBreed

agreed.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »

Pick up things like:

Wrappers
bottles
broken bike parts
peeled decals

Thanks
HalfBreed

agreed.

Finally, someone who stayed on topic.  Thanks.

Today, I got 1 Hammer gel Rasp package and some sort of snack bag.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
I like this HB.  I, as some others do as well, pick up trash when out there - either on the way out or on the way back - since hitting the trails is first priority.  I do this no matter what trail system I'm riding.  It is odd that cyclists leave they're energy bar and gel packages just laying around.  Also, I have brought back tubes, chains, broken brake parts, seat (Yes!  Once I brought back a seat!).  You would think the very people who benefit from the great trail systems out there would "bring it back."

I don't think the fisherman take Cliff Bars and GU out to go fishing, but could happen. 

Pay forward is a good thing.

Offline slowfatguy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »
I packed 2 tubes out of there awhile back, I even had to ride a half mile back to get one as it was on Golfcart and I didn't want to ride it the wrong way, so I rode the double track back and jumped on the trail. I don't understand the people that take the time to tie their tube around a tree branch!
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
I packed 2 tubes out of there awhile back, I even had to ride a half mile back to get one as it was on Golfcart and I didn't want to ride it the wrong way, so I rode the double track back and jumped on the trail. I don't understand the people that take the time to tie their tube around a tree branch!

i saw that tube on GC a few months ago...  I remember I thought the same thing.

Offline cgarolr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • My Bike: 2008 Redline Monocog Flight 29er RIGID
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »

If my memory serves me correctly, haven't I seen you smoke either on the trails or after by your car?!?! Maybe I am thinking of someone else ;)
It's all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye.  Then it's just a game: FIND THE EYE!!!

Offline joeym

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized FSR XC Comp
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
Am I hearing positive banter....things are good....peace out....love the message to us out there..pick it up bring it back....good job HB... 
Joe Messina
Time heals all wounds....right?

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
+1 for the "One a Day" idea!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

If my memory serves me correctly, haven't I seen you smoke either on the trails or after by your car?!?! Maybe I am thinking of someone else ;)

I dont smoke cigarettes or cigars.  You must have spotted something else :)

Joey and Jason-  Thanks.  Dont for get it though, and do it EVERYWHERE!!!  :)

Online MM

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Boyette rocks
    • You Tube
  • My Bike: 2009 Trek 8000 Full XTR drivetrain, XT cranks, Reba SL, Juicy five's
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
One thing I have noticed are the reflectors that fall off the pedals of walmart bikes.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
One thing I have noticed are the reflectors that fall off the pedals of walmart bikes.

i always ask people to take the wheel reflectors out.  i have been flashed a few times while doing 20mph in some tech section by a broken reflector in the trail....