Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bamboo Clothing Scam  (Read 1827 times)

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Turner Spot and Giant Reign X
Bamboo Clothing Scam
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
Buyer beware.

8 months after the FTC crackdown and years after they spammed forums announcing how great their new products were, Zoic and JensonUSA (certainly other resellers too, I didn't check) continue to scam consumers as they blow out their "Bamboolze" fabric products to unsuspecting consumers.  Take note:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=330661

Pearl Izumi sells this scam fabric too, but at full price - http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=44&product_id=1504736&outlet=

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
Re: Bamboo Clothing Scam
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
how bout dont be a retard and research what you purchase.  Ill sell you used lottery tix, half price.  only scratched once!!!  :)
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
how bout dont be a retard and research what you purchase.  Ill sell you used lottery tix, half price.  only scratched once!!!  :)

I don't know about you, but most people don't research textiles when they are shopping for clothes.  It was quite a few of these clothing companies themselves that didn't bother researching it and that's their responsibility.  4 fined last year, 78 were warned in Feb 2010 for continuing to sell products with well known false claims.  I don't own any bamboo textile products but its good to know as the cycling industry is filled with snake oil "innovations" like this.  Its nice to see the FTC doing their job.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:53:42 PM »
Great info.  I would have fallen for it had a I paid attention as I tend to try to buy 'green' products when I can.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »
My wife bought a "bamboo" shawl about six months ago.  She is going to love reading this.  And by love...I mean blow her top.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
My wife bought a "bamboo" shawl about six months ago.  She is going to love reading this.  And by love...I mean blow her top.

Ignorance is bliss...maybe

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »

I don't know about you, but most people don't research textiles when they are shopping for clothes.  It was quite a few of these clothing companies themselves that didn't bother researching it and that's their responsibility.  4 fined last year, 78 were warned in Feb 2010 for continuing to sell products with well known false claims.  I don't own any bamboo textile products but its good to know as the cycling industry is filled with snake oil "innovations" like this.  Its nice to see the FTC doing their job.

actually, being as its so new, and the fact that so much stuff is hype, I WOULD check out anything that was going to be extrememly different than what usually touching my skin. Obviously, there are benefits if its legit.  But its a "NEW" item, so check it out before you buy it.

Also, your super concerned now??  who cares whats it is.  If you were happy before you found out new info on it, it doesnt matter.  And if it does, WHY DIDNT YOU CHECK IT OUT FIRST??  Vicious circle, huh? 

You cant make a stink after the fact over some new info you learned.  Thats the only reason you care...

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
The main issue is false advertising and inflated prices over comparable "non-bamboo" products.  I'd be pissed if I spent $120 on a piece of "bamboo" clothing  when I could have bought essentially the same thing for $80 (prices are hypothetical and are merely used as an example). 

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »
Also, your super concerned now??  who cares whats it is.  If you were happy before you found out new info on it, it doesnt matter.  And if it does, WHY DIDNT YOU CHECK IT OUT FIRST??  Vicious circle, huh? 

You cant make a stink after the fact over some new info you learned.  Thats the only reason you care...

I don't own any products with bamboo textiles, its just informative and entertaining...

I haven't bought any new cycling clothing in a long time.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
It is very misleading.  They make you think that you are being 'green' and charging you a premium for it only to find out that you are just buying rayon made from bamboo which is no different than rayon made from any other plant fiber...same nasty chemicals used, not really any 'greener' other than bamboo is easily replenished.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »

actually, being as its so new, and the fact that so much stuff is hype, I WOULD check out anything that was going to be extrememly different than what usually touching my skin. Obviously, there are benefits if its legit.  But its a "NEW" item, so check it out before you buy it.

This person posts an article for others to read and to inform them of some misleading info, and you attack them for it?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
Another interested fact most people don't know about bamboo is every 50 years subsistence farming communities around areas of bamboo starve to death when bamboo fruit.  The resulting 4 wave rat population explosion eats the crops they depend on for their survival if they don't plant their crops early enough in the season:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/rats/

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Cotton is evil too: http://www.ejfoundation.org/page141.html

I guess the right thing to do is go nude.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
Cotton is evil too: http://www.ejfoundation.org/page141.html

I guess the right thing to do is go nude.

My wife does not even want to see me naked, let alone my biking buddies...

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »
The main issue is false advertising and inflated prices over comparable "non-bamboo" products.  I'd be pissed if I spent $120 on a piece of "bamboo" clothing  when I could have bought essentially the same thing for $80 (prices are hypothetical and are merely used as an example).

and youd be a sucker to do so.....

Advertisement: