Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: The Land and Water Conservation Fund Needs Your Help Today!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
The Land and Water Conservation Fund Needs Your Help Today!
« on: March 01, 2007, 06:24:35 PM »
From IMBA

Action Alert

For Immediate Release
02-28-07
drew (at) imba.com
303-545-9011

Mountain bikers should contact their U.S. senators and ask them to restore funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) stateside grant program. Through the distribution of energy company royalties, LWCF helps federal agencies like the National Park Service, Forest Service and BLM acquire land, including areas for recreation. It also helps state and local governments develop their outdoor recreation, parks and open space.

Since LWCF's inception in 1964, 40,000 projects have been funded with project sites located in more than 98 percent of the nation's 3,141 counties. In 2006, LWCF created 62 new parks and protected nearly 35,000 acres of open space. Chances are a park or trail system near you was developed through LWCF funding.

Unfortunately, unless recreationists take action, the LWCF will not fund state and local programs this year. IMBA and the Outdoor Alliance, a coalition of human-powered recreation groups, are asking Congress to restore LWCF state funding to $125 million.

Take Action
Email your U.S. senators and ask them to sign the "Salazar-Collins LWCF Dear Colleague Letter" and fund the LWCF stateside grant program at $125 million. This letter, circulated by Senators Ken Salazar (D-CO) and Susan Collins (R-ME), is a way of rallying support from other senators and continuing LWCF's legacy. Tell your senators that as a mountain biker, you support funding for trails open spaces programs.

Particularly important senators include those listed below. If you live in one of their states, your email is essential!

Missouri: Sen. Christopher Bond
Nebraska: Sen. Chuck Hagel
North Carolina: Elizabeth Dole
Ohio: Sen. George Voinovich
Pennsylvania: Arlen Specter
Utah: Oren Hatch
Virginia: Sen. John Warner

Sample Letter
Please feel free to customize this letter and tell your senators why you value public recreation facilities.

Dear Senator,

Please sign the "Salazar-Collins Dear Colleague Letter" and fund the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) stateside grant program at $125 million. This important program helps state and local governments develop their outdoor recreation, parks and open space resources. Since LWCF's inception in 1964, 40,000 projects have been funded with project sites located in more than 98 percent of the nation's 3,141 counties.

Our state desperately needs more parks, trails and facilities to get our residents outside and exercising.

Sincerely,

[Edit: change email address to protect receiver from spam]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:37:14 PM by Kevan »

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Re: The Land and Water Conservation Fund Needs Your Help Today!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
Its important that we stay on top of issues like that..  with all the development around here lately.....  it would not suprise me if Florida is on that list a couple of years from now..

...  thats the great thing about being in a club like this..  we are able to share that information and send petitions, or attend meetings...

=Bob   ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Advertisement: