Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sundays Ride  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Sundays Ride
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:06:42 AM »
 What's the time schedule for Sundays ride? Are they doing the youth ride also and if so do we need to RSVP to the guide? I beleive we need to be ready to ride at 9:00 AM.
                                              Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Sundays Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Trout creek ride is always at 9 a.m.. Judy Moore runs the kids ride. I think she prefers that you rsvp, but I don't have here email so I am not much help.

I will be there for the bbq. See you there!

Gregg

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »
Here is what I got from the calander for the youth ride.

youthride (at) swampclub.org.

[Edit: correct email address]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:49:16 AM by Kevan »
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »
Thanks Guys, I was busy Friday and Saturday and didn't check my e-mails or the forum. But I really enjoyed making a club ride for a change and putting some faces with the names I talk to here on the forum! :) What a great group of people! Thanks for the input.
                                  Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:04:09 PM »
I was there around 11:00a...sorry for not yielding with you guys (only have 1 hr to be in the trail and that stupid accident before the fletcher exit screwed up my plan)....The trail was great!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:06:17 PM »
I was on the highway on my way to the bbq, and I was stuck in that traffic. As annoying that it was, the guy in the white truck had a much worse day than us.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I was there a little after 9am and got to join Wes' Intro class. It was great and I learned a lot about when to use what gears, etc. Before I always kept them pretty centered and charged the heck out of everything ::) I saw more wrecks Sunday than I've seen in the past month of biking- almost like watching NASCAR. After lunch Wes and his wife took me on a quick-paced tour of the park. I'm pretty sure he's too modest to say it ??? but I think he enjoyed watching me wilt just trying to keep up.

I left after 3pm and there was a blue SUV(?) on it's hood off the right side of the road. Looks like it spun out, hit the grass, and went over pretty slowly- very little damage.

Anyhow- I had a blast and plan to be see you all next Sunday at Alafia! I'll (try to) bring my camera gear along and coax some people into showing off ;D
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:08 PM »
Hey Riskeverything,

I was there talking to Wes when you guys pulled in, I was the guy with the cane. Where were you?

Also I heard someone hurt themselve riding over the monster log that Wes uses in the class. Did you see that happen, how bad was it? I suggested to Marty that she send out bubble wrap with the membership cards.

Gregg

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »
We ran into that guy that broke his upper arm.  At least he thought it was broken since he fealt the bones rubbing when he would move it.  He was on his way back alone on main past the kiosk before hole-on-the-fence.  We first passed him since we didn't think much of anything.  he was standing on the side of the trail walking by.  Someone told us there was a guy hurt so we went back.  Janice and Gabrielle from our group did stop and were walking back with him.  He had his wrist inside his jersey so minimize movement.  I helped him with his bike and we walked back to hole int he fence.  I gave him some Tylenol and called Barry Bates to come and get him.  Barry took him to this car at hte parking long but later drove him to the his hospital.  That is all we know of him.

I don't know why he was walking alone or why he didn't tell Wes he was hurt.  I didn't talk to Marty or Wes so I don't know what really happen.  I just assumed that he didn't say anything to them and later just walked away from the group or told Wes he was walking back to the parking lot.  I don't think they would've left them out there alone if they knew he was hurt like that.  He say he felt during the bunny hop over the log. 

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
...during the bunny hop over the log.
Speaking about logs..there are logs that were lined up for parking control by the exit/entrance off Eubank at the paved loop. I always stop by there to practice my log crossing.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »
They are still there... but anything over 2 inches is too tall for me though...  You see there was this one time a fat rider who tried to bunny hop a log in a trail out in Alafia... well it wasn't pretty.... the end.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »
LMAO!!!! I saw the video!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
Gregg- I was the guy in red board shorts riding the blue hard tail. I drove there in a black Jeep Comanche with a topper and had my bike in the back on top of all sorts of junk  ::) I was the only one who rode with Wes and his wife after lunch.

Regarding the injury during class:
Wes laid out a pair of logs that ranged from 8-12" in diameter off to the side of the trail (where the ground was softer), while his wife laid out a log about 6" in diameter across the trail. The man attempted the largest log, but pulled a wheelie too soon and came down on the front side of the log, leaning forward over the tire. The bike stopped and spun and he came down pretty hard. Wes was there, and made sure he checked himself well before getting up. The guy thought he'd broken his clavical because he had hit his shoulder pretty hard and said he'd felt something move. However, the clavical wasn't broken and he said he really wasn't in much pain at all. He got back on his bike and (I think) started to ride with us to the next location, but changed his mind and turned around.

When I bunny-hopped the log I swear I felt both of my tires tap the top of it. These beasts we ride don't handle like the little BMXs I grew up on. The suspension seems to absorb a lot of the energy I'm trying to use to hop the bike with. I imagine the FS bike I've got coming will be worse about this, but the clipless setup should(!) compensate.

Hey... what's this about a video of MrSandPine? Is it hosted on YouTube or something?
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »
I should get paid for every time someone plays that video.  It is now ranking way up the in the top.  LMAO....

http://www.youtube.com/maguirre2222

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 10:06:55 PM »
Yeah Marcel is pretty proud of his log hopping abilities, Great video isn't it?
I am sorry that I didn't get to meet you. Will you be at Squiggy? I can't remember if you said you were going to be there.

I understand what you mean about the old bmx bikes, I was a hardcore bmxer when I was a kid. It is probably why I am partial to hardtails. My Kona reminds me of an old PK Ripper circa 1982.

Regarding all of these injuries, I suggested to Marty that she send a roll of bubble wrap with every new membership card. Maybe that would help.

Look forward to meetin you,

floppy foot Gregg

Advertisement: