Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: I need a new front tire  (Read 3936 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
I need a new front tire
« on: March 05, 2007, 06:41:40 AM »
I have noticed during my rides the last month or so  that I have been sliding in the turns and haven't been able to hold a line as easily. Its been getting  worse so finally I overcame my lazy tendencies and took a look at the front tire. Yep. I need a new front tire. The side knobs are not exactly worn down but the knob itself is partially torn off from the tire. If I move the side knobs they are like 1/4 cut off, leaving them wobbly when you touch them. This can't be too good for handling. At first glance the tire looks in good shape but upon a closer, less lazy inspection I have found the problem. I think I will try a Kozmik Lite 2 up front. I'm pretty happy with it in the rear. My old front tire was a Hutchinson Python and I was very happy with that and I don't blame the tire even now for failing, I'm sure any tire would fail under the extreme stress I put on them,  the way I 'rail' the corners!   ;D If the Kozmik Lite 2 is not as good I will go back to the Python because that has been a great performer. Now that I think about, I have so much confidence when the Python is new, maybe I should stick with it. Decisions decisions decisions. The Pythons are probably cheaper so that might be the determining factor.  I don't think there is much difference with weight, so why risk a new tire? I was surprised to find the tire in that condition though. I think it happened  riding Reddick with some of the hard pack up there. That tire was around a year old. I think it was the conditions and not the actual mileage on the tire that made it wear out. Moral of the story is don't be lazy and take your bike for granted, it needs to be inspected for loose bolts, chain stretch, lube, tires, cogs wearing out, cracks in the frame, air in the tires,front fork, rear shock. I need a support team! No. I need a bike stand. Bingo, I nailed it, I need a frickin bike stand so I can easily work on the bike.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: I need a new front tire
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:32 AM »
If you need a bike stand I really like this one

If you are diligent REI often puts them on sale in the 119 dollar range.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48128820&parent_category_rn=4500827&vcat=REI_SEARCH

You would probably hate the front tires I would recommend so I will keep my yap shut on that :)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
Thanks for the info on the stand. I 'll search their site and check it out. Whats your input on the tire?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »
This may come as a complete shock to you, but I am partial to the Panaracer XC Fire pro. Not sure if I have ever mentioned that.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:30:08 AM »
you might have rabbit, you might!!

LOL    ;D

=Bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »
Panaracers  are A O.K. in my book but I'll take the lighter weight tires if I can find them.

I purchased a bike stand from Nashbar. Got a combo deal - bike stand with a Park P Handle hex tool set, both for $120.00. Can't wait to do some wrenchin on the ole bike!  Gots lots to learn!!   :D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:51:46 PM »
Ells,

Are you running tubeless or tubed tires???

=Bob

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
Tubes on American Classic wheels.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:40:55 PM »
why dont you go tubeless for weight savings? ???

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »
How much weight savings can be gained? The lightweight American Classic wheelset with lightweight tubes and tires compared to a heavier tubeless wheelset and heavier tubeless tires. If I was really serious about racing and weight  then I would consider it, but thus far I haven't had any tire problems with any of the events that I have been in. The Stans  tubeless set up would probably be the way to go to minimize the chance of flatting during a race. I just got the American Classics from the Idster a couple of months ago. My first quality wheelset and I noticed that it makes a big difference in how the bike acts. Like usual, you gotta spend the jack to get the good benefits. Fortunately, The Idster gave me a good deal on the wheelset. My bike is at 24 lbs. 10 ounces right now and I can still lighten  up by going with a carbon stem and handlebars, lighter brakes and handles. A sub 24 would be good enough with 4" travel front and rear.
 :)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »
true..  you cant argue a 23 pound fully with 4 inches of travel...  i was just wondering..  i have run tubeless tires the last almost 2 years I would say and I have not had a problem..

the light weight wheelsets... well, if you can true a wheel your good..  i cant.. so oh well..

but other than that..  i had a Bontrager Race X Lite Tubeless wheel set for about 13 months, it has about 1900 miles on them..  and the hubs just took a crap on me, and I pulled four spokes out of the rear wheel, because the braking surface looks like a canoe...

but i think there great..  and yeah, i do run kind of a heavy tire..  i would like to lighten it up in the future, but i love how they perform overall..

-Bob

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
Thanks for the info on the stand. I 'll search their site and check it out. Whats your input on the tire?

Me I like big tires  :D
Geax Sturdy (on left)

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 10:01:08 AM »
I purchased a bike stand from Nashbar. Got a combo deal - bike stand with a Park P Handle hex tool set, both for $120.00. Can't wait to do some wrenchin on the ole bike!  Gots lots to learn!!   :D

Ells,
do you mind sharing a bargain?  Send me the link for it please....

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 06:45:43 PM »
Easier for me to say - google bikenashbar, once you're on the home page click combo deals and scroll thru till you see the stand and tool combo. Should take you right to it.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »
Tubes on American Classic wheels.

Did you get the set with ceramic bearings? I've heard that wheel set will save you a pound of unsprung weight themselves and the ceramic bearings will not wear out for a very long time.
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Advertisement: