Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Foot pain help.....please!  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Foot pain help.....please!
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:49 PM »
OK.  I have been riding for a long time, but only seriously for the last 3-4 years.  I have now gotten into some distance riding and enjoy it. I am now starting to get ridiculous pain in the balls of my feet after 20 miles of spinning, or sooner if it is technical riding.  It was so bad at Squiggy, I had to get off the bike once or twice.  I have done some research, but I don't see a clear solution.  I just moved my cleats back on my shoes and then went to Carter and within 8 miles, my right foot started to hurt.  I had a "pro" fitting of my bike (RIP) when I built it up.  I am hoping someone out there has had a similar situation and can lend some sage advice.  I think my shoes fit great 44.5 Spec. with the two velcro and one ratchet strap.  Any help is appreciated.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: Foot pain help.....please!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Just thought of something.  At Ididaride it didn't seem to bother me TOO much.  Could the heat be a factor???

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:02 PM »
What shoes are you using? Maybe a shoe with a carbon sole that doesn't flex will help.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
Coach. My feet have always been an issue. Assuming your shoes and pedals are good, it may have to do with your position or seat, or both. I have always struggled with hand and foot numbness and pain. Usually I get relief from position or seat adjustment.
What have you changed lately? (Other than having me pushing you :)) Shoes, pedals, shorts, or just time on the bike? all could be factors.

Maybe its time for a new pair of shoes? Maybe you should give me your RIP9 frame?
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
If you can afford the retul fit that roy does at Ajs go see him. Tell I sent you. It consentrates on the arches of your feet and pedal positioning wY more than other "pro" fits. If nothing else get the $40 specialized shoe insert with medium support. I had the same problem at about 3 or 4 hours. It hurts more to walk thanto pedal at that point. For me was the arch and outside of foot. When I got the wobble naght fit that went away because I had my knees pointed outward on my upper pedal stroke. I also got custom SOLES shoe inserts. That too care of it. Oh and a hard sole shoe.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
What shoes are you using? Maybe a shoe with a carbon sole that doesn't flex will help.

These are most like what I have.  Mine are about 4 years old though
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=39460&menuItemId=9309&eid=4927

No real changes to my set-up.  More miles and older motor!  ;)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
S.P.  I can't afford the Laser fit, even at the "discount" rate.  Insert sounds reasonable.  At the very least I will try that.  I honestly don't know how stiff my shoes are.  They feel pretty stiff to me.  Maybe I'll ask my wife!  :P

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »

These are most like what I have.  Mine are about 4 years old though
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=39460&menuItemId=9309&eid=4927

No real changes to my set-up.  More miles and older motor!  ;)

I have a pair of older shoes that I can feel the cleat through the bottom of the shoe. I keep them in the back of the truck for spares (I've been known to rip the bottoms of my shoes of sometimes, or in case I or someone else I'm riding with forgets their shoes) but I darn sure get a hotspot in the ball of my foot if/when I wear them. Can you beg/borrow/steal a pair of shoes to try, see if it changes?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:36 AM »
OK.  I have been riding for a long time, but only seriously for the last 3-4 years.  I have now gotten into some distance riding and enjoy it. I am now starting to get ridiculous pain in the balls of my feet after 20 miles of spinning, or sooner if it is technical riding.  It was so bad at Squiggy, I had to get off the bike once or twice.  I have done some research, but I don't see a clear solution.  I just moved my cleats back on my shoes and then went to Carter and within 8 miles, my right foot started to hurt.  I had a "pro" fitting of my bike (RIP) when I built it up.  I am hoping someone out there has had a similar situation and can lend some sage advice.  I think my shoes fit great 44.5 Spec. with the two velcro and one ratchet strap.  Any help is appreciated.
Theres your problem....your feet have blue balls

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 03:24:03 PM »
As someone else stated give the Specialized inserts a shot.  Supposedly those are designed to eliminate "hot spots" in the balls of your feet.  But it looks like you already have Specialized shoes...don't those already have the inserts?

4 years is pretty old for a MTB shoe.  That may be a part of the issue right there.  They may still feel stiff but perhaps they aren't quite as supportive as they once were and are causing your issues.  Maybe compare yours to a new set to see if they need to be replaced.  Just a thought.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »
Switch it up and ride flats with a comfy shoe every once in a while.  ;)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
Switch it up and ride flats with a comfy shoe every once in a while.  ;)

LOL!

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
The last time I was at Boyette I saw two older , hairy , burly Harley motorcycle looking guys riding their Magna bikes. One guy was wearing flip flops. I'm guessing they are new to mountain biking. I should have taken a picture.

Offline Robobiker

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »
When you are resting at home and have a few minutes try rolling a golf ball around with the ball of your foot (feet).  You can do this from a sitting position.  Don't put a pain inducing amount of pressure on it.  Just roll the ball around randomly.  If you have myofacial imbalances this may rebalance and unblock restrictions.
Good luck.
all those memories
 lost
   like tear drops in the rain

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
When you are resting at home and have a few minutes try rolling a golf ball around with the ball of your foot (feet).  You can do this from a sitting position.  Don't put a pain inducing amount of pressure on it.  Just roll the ball around randomly.  If you have myofacial imbalances this may rebalance and unblock restrictions.
Good luck.

Thanks.  I don't know what a "myofacial imbalance" is, but it doesn't sound good....although I think I had one once when I hung out with the Capt. too heavily one night!  ;D

Advertisement: