Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: My Fox Triad rear shock blew out ;(  (Read 5618 times)

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
My Fox Triad rear shock blew out ;(
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
I have a 2008 Stumpjumper Comp FSR with a Fox Triad rear shock. It's been working great for 5 months of use without issue. I've ridden the bike a lot but never abused it because it's my baby. I've always set it on "Propedal"(nearly eliminates pedal bob). On my last ride at Boyette I set it to fully active suspension on the advice of Mountainbike Action magazine as they tested and compared Cannondale, Trek, Specialized and Giant.  They tested my exact bike and gave it high marks (it won overall) My ride was extra plush and comfy but halfway through the ride I started to notice oil leaking out of the rear shock. It still seems to work fine but it won't lock out and won't go back to propedal. It seems to continue to leak oil. Well, back to Chainwheel drive it went. They're gonna send the shock back to Fox to replace or rebuild. It all should be covered under warranty but now I'm without an off road bike for 2-3 weeks ;( I should have kept a beater bike. Now that Walgoose 29er is starting to look pretty good. :-\

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: My Fox Triad rear shock blew out ;(
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
Lucky if they warranty the shock if its been over 1yr, did you just purchase the bike? if so, you're good for 1yr.

Only the Specialized Future Shocks have a 5yr warranty
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:19:42 PM by ProEdgeBiker.com »

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
...and once its been broked its more likely to be broked again.  Same type of thing happend to my wife's bike, we sent int he good ole triad for repair (250.00 later....) and in 6 months it blew again with no explination.  at least the 2nd time was covered by the recent rebuild they did.

anyone what knows me wife knows she's not an aggressive rider by any means...  just don't like the triad much....
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
The bike is a 2008 but I bought it "NEW" in December.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
It may be worth inquiring about upgrading to a Fox RP2, if they don't try to rob you ;)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »
I did not like the Triad on my FSR Pro I had.. never seemed to work right...

Offline javajoe

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Santa Cruz Heckler
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »
After purchasing Darrins FSR Pro I too did not like the triad, the lockout/propedal did not work and overall feel left much to be desired. However after a trip to PUSH in colorado it worked very nicely. I recommend anyone with a triad skip dealer or fox service send directly to PUSH. 

Note: I am not affiliated with nor do I work for PUSH industry.

Offline DebbieP

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:21:09 PM »

I have the same bike and the same thing happened, but mine was just out of warranty by about a month.  It got sent out to Fox and fixed and i haven't had any trouble since. 

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
After purchasing Darrins FSR Pro I too did not like the triad, the lockout/propedal did not work and overall feel left much to be desired. However after a trip to PUSH in colorado it worked very nicely. I recommend anyone with a triad skip dealer or fox service send directly to PUSH. 

Note: I am not affiliated with nor do I work for PUSH industry.

Yeah, I purchased that FSR from Rockhopper Dwight 3 months before you bought it joe and he claimed it was his wifes bike and that all was fine. guess he was wrong.. I never really liked the bike overall so I was not going to put any money into it. the cable rub hole was the last straw. oh yeah, he would not call me back when I contacted him to see if he would get the rear triangle warrantied either, but I digress... :D

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »
Well after two weeks plus it's still not done yet which leads me to believe Fox is slow ;(

I'm having serious bike withdrawls. I just dropped my road bike off to have an Easton carbon fork installed. I have to wait on a compression top cap since it's 100% carbon. So now no bikes at all. I think it's time I got a little kayaking in since summer is here.

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
  • My Bike: '16 Giant Anthem SX/'06 Specialized FSR XC Pro
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »
my triad on my '06 FSR Pro has been trouble for awhile now...the blue adjuster lever just spins without locking...I'm thinking about upgrading shock to maybe an RP2...sent an email to Fox a few weeks ago trying to get some info,no reply...maybe a call to Specialized is in order..just would like to know what shock I could use.... ???

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »
At this point I'd put a $20 coil shock in there if it would fit.   No reply from Fox after a few attempts.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 08:51:49 AM »
This is good to know, I am contemplating sending my RP23 from the Anthem to fox for their new custom tuning service but may go with Push instead :)

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »
Finally got my bike back yesterday. 3-1/2 weeks later. That's fast service ;)

Fox is busy repairing triads from all over the world I guess. I had to pay $8 shipping and the labor was N/C.

Advertisement: