Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Newbie needs newb instruction.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
Newbie needs newb instruction.
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »
Ok so a little about me before I get into my newbie questions.  I used to do a lot of BMX riding before I joined the Navy in '03.  Since then I have seriously fallen off the wagon.  Recently a friend of mine that's a cyclist at USF sparked my interest in mountain biking after he asked me if I could fix the rattle in one of his mountain bike frames (rear suspension joint bearing bit the dust).  Anyway, I spent a while looking for a decent hardtail since rear suspension as I was told isn't so important in FL.  It must have been destiny since another friend wanted to get rid of his chromo-framed Specialized P1.  Since then I pretty much made it similar to the P1 all mountain by putting a Shimano rearset and Sram controls up front on it.  It already had disk breaks and Marzoochi Bomber forks up front.  So with that here comes the newbness.  Protective gear: full face or regular helmet?  Are pads a must?  I will be mostly riding trails and hopefully getting myself back into aerial trouble but nothing to sick.  At least til I get my chops back.  Tires:  Just need a good all rounder that will replace my street tires and work well for trails around the Tampa area.  In conclusion, I just want to get back in shape and have fun doing it on a mountain bike.  So, if anyone has any other useful bits of info I would greatly appreciate them.

-Oh I have a small flat spot in my rear rim that I was told to ride on til it dies.  Any suggestions on a good set of rims that will take some moderate dirt jumping that wont destroy the bank?
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Newbie needs newb instruction.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
no pads or full-face... very few wear them and it really is overkill down here... Get a regular helmet, good Camelbak, gloves, and set of padded shorts and you will be fine...

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
WELCOME! Albe23, Check out our website for a preview of some of the trails we have in FL. www.ProEdgeBiker.com

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
Thanks for the help darrin, good info to have.  Do you have any suggestions on tires, currently my P1 has road rubber on it.  I'm thinking the Geax Barro Mountain would be a good tire for this area.  Oh and proedge thanks for this link.  Cool vids.  Also, anyone ride Alafia regularly I would like to hook up with someone to show me the ropes.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the help darrin, good info to have.  Do you have any suggestions on tires, currently my P1 has road rubber on it.  I'm thinking the Geax Barro Mountain would be a good tire for this area.  Oh and proedge thanks for this link.  Cool vids.  Also, anyone ride Alafia regularly I would like to hook up with someone to show me the ropes.

I have tried a few different tires and the ones I like are:

Michelin WildRace'r or XC Dry2   
Maxxis Ignitors 2.10
Panaracer Fire XC Pro w/ 120 tpi (not 60 tpi)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »
Full face helmets and leg/arm armor is a personal preference.  Every once in a while you see it out at Alafia or Boyette.  May not be a bad idea if you are trying to protect yourself from exacerbating a prior injury, but you may find them too hot.

Popular tire combo is the Kenda Nevegal front and Kenda Smallblock 8 rear.  Panaracer Fire XC is also super popular.  Tire selection is pretty subjective though.  What works for me may not work for you.  Mountain Bike Action had a pretty comprehensive tire review a while back which may help you select a tire that works for you.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:47:28 AM »
Alan speaks the truth.. Tires are personal. I have not tried the Kenda Small block 8, but I see them out there on the trails. I liked the way the Nevegal grips, but they are very heavy and do not roll very well. The Small block 8 is the same tread patten but is lighter and the knobs are smaller and a lot less pronounced.

The trick is to find something that will have good grip, is not super heavy, and the tread has a very little rolling resistance. Unfortunately you cant demo tires like you can a bike... 

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »
I wanna be a SB8 spokesperson I love them so much.

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:34 AM »
Thanks for all the help on the tires and head gear everyone.  I'm going to take the advice and go with a reg helmet and sans armor.  Didn't really think the armor would be necessary, trails seem pretty well groomed.  Also, any ideas on a brand of head gear?  I have some more questions:  What are some good things to bring with me on a trail day.  I'm guessing something like an extra tube, tools, something to inflate zed flat tire, extra water due to FL getting all hot and stuff, but that's all I can really think of. Oh and where does everyone buy their parts/accessories from because that would definitely help out the searches for stuff.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:04:12 AM »
Brand of headgear is very personal. What someone else loves may not fit your head well. The best helmet fit is one that needs very little if any use of the adjustment system. Less movement is better. Every helmet on the market passed the same testing, I read a more thorough comparison test done once that actually showed that a well fitting cheap helmet typically outperformed a high dollar helmet in impacts that exceeded the testing standard. Wish I had bookmarked it. That's not to say that the high-dollar helmet isn't better though. More expensive helmets tend to be lighter which helps with neck fatigue and better ventilated which has obvious benefits in FL. The most important thing is that it should fit with little movement. There's also a school of thought that a helmet for mountain biking should avoid 'aero' shapes with long protrusions off the back because those will tend to act as a lever to turn your head or may cause the helmet to shift forward exposing the back of your head to an impact. I don't know how much of that theory is true but to me the reasoning sounded solid.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:49 AM »
Thanks for all the help on the tires and head gear everyone.  I'm going to take the advice and go with a reg helmet and sans armor.  Didn't really think the armor would be necessary, trails seem pretty well groomed.  Also, any ideas on a brand of head gear?  I have some more questions:  What are some good things to bring with me on a trail day.  I'm guessing something like an extra tube, tools, something to inflate zed flat tire, extra water due to FL getting all hot and stuff, but that's all I can really think of. Oh and where does everyone buy their parts/accessories from because that would definitely help out the searches for stuff.

AJ's Bikes and Boards in Valrico on Bloomingdale is a great shop that is very knowledgeable in Mountain biking.. Dave or Darrin are the owners.. Here is what I carry in my 100oz camelbak mule.

spare tube
multi tool w/ chain tool
tire lever
small hand pump
co2 inflater
1st aid kit
gels
maps
SRAM power link

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
I usually shop online for parts.  For example...I paid $9 for a f-ing 29er tube at a local bike shop that shall remain un-named.  Same tube online was $3.  Nashbar, Bikeman, Jensen, REI, Amazon, etc all have good deals.

In my Camelbak you will find a multitool, tube, toilet paper, hand pump, CO2 w/inflator, tire levers, tube patches, bug spray, small thing of sunblock, food stuffs, my wallet, cell phone, emergency whistle, SRAM power links, and a 15mm wrench (if I'm taking out my singlespeed). 

During the summer the big bladder is a must.  Not a bad idea to have an extra bottle of something on the frame as an emergency reserve if you run out. 

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »
Sorry Alan you should have left the 9$ tube on their counter come try us out and we will give you free shipping  ;D

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »
It was out of desparation.  $9 or no riding.  I'll check you guys out.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »
yeah, they sell them for $7.50 at Bents... :) I get my tubes from price point also.. no tax makes up for shipping when you buy lube, tubes, gels, etc... their 26er tubes are 5 for $10.. hard to beat and I have not had a problem with any I have bought from them...

Advertisement: