Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Run in with roadies  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
Run in with roadies
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
I just made this entry in my blog and thought I'd share it here:

Met Matt at Flatwoods for an early ride today.  He had to hurry to hit his bootcamp class before he went to work.  Have I mentioned he's nuts?  Anyway, he doesn't have a road bike.  He put fat slicks on what was his first mountain bike that's he's since replaced with a full suspension sweet ride but he's now using it for a commuter bike.  Anyway, as strong as he is, he can't push that bike too fast for too long, so we had a nice paced ride but didn't push ourselves.

We're tooling along on the backstretch and we both hear a rather loud whistle coming out of the woods.  We look off to our right and don't see anything, so we continue chatting.  We hear another, then another.  I thought it odd, cause I'd assumed it was runners in the woods trying to collect their group, but why was it keeping up with us?  I finally heard a group of riders behind us.  I veered off as close to the edge to the right as I could, and Matt went to the left.  There was a wide area for them to slip through.  A mouthy woman was giving instructions, telling Matt that the proper thing to do was to go off to the right. There were five of them I think, and they whisked on by.

I got pretty pissed.  I've been riding at Flatwoods for, what, five years now?  Longer?  I've never been whistled at to pass.  A hearty and loud "ON YOUR LEFT!" is sufficient to get my attention.  I mean, I'm not your * dog.  I've run into some pretty rude toadies, uh, I mean roadies in my time, but this really takes the cake.

They lapped us again, it's inevitable when we're tooling along at 15 mph and they're doing 20 something.  I hear the whistle again. Matt makes a grand gesture and tells them to pass in French.   The head guy pulls beside me and I sort of wobble.  The mouthy woman demands, icily, "What are you doing?" as I stray from the right side of the path to the middle, I tell the guy, with what I hope is good humor:

"I'm not your dog, you don't have to whistle.  An 'on your left' would be fine."

He said, "I did say it, you didn't hear me."

Bull*.

The lady at the end of their group, now down to four, smiled at me as she passed.  Don't know if it was in derision of me or sympathy with my point of view.  And off they went.  I was still kinda cranky about it, but glad I addressed it without using the 'f' word,  or escalating it into a confrontation, which was an accomplishment.  Because really, in my heart of hearts, throwing tacks in their path crossed my mind.

Matt and I passed a group of three that had been in the parking lot the same time I was getting ready.  I asked them, "Did you get whistled at, too?"

One of the women answered, "Yes, and it's 'cause we're sooooo hot!"

Matt and I cracked up.  I thanked her for her perspective.  What a way to put a positive spin on the situation.  Instead of getting pissed, like I did, this delightful woman found a way to see the humor in it.

Jen

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Run in with roadies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »
People like that give roadies a bad name :P

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »
People like that give roadies a bad name :P

Roadies give roadies a bad name... j/k Scott... There are *s everywhere, on dirt as well as the road Jen..

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »
So, i think i missed this part, where they on Cross bikes or MTBs??

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »

From what I gather they were on road bikes and they were all riding the paved loop...

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »

From what I gather they were on road bikes and they were all riding the paved loop...

yeah, then i read runners in the woods.. OK i guess it makes sense now.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »
Dicks on bikes don't bother me as much as a-hole drivers in their cars.

Offline JamesinIT

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disk 29er
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
In every sport theres always a few. I ride both pavement and trails and hate that there has to be us and them. Great, their bikes are faster on pavement then ours, theirs wont work on trails at all (unless you want a trip to the ground)...

I consider myself a dirt roadie, I like riding bikes no matter what kind or brand, or what surface it may be ridden on. Too bad some others can't apreciate the same thing many of us do. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
In every sport theres always a few. I ride both pavement and trails and hate that there has to be us and them. Great, their bikes are faster on pavement then ours, theirs wont work on trails at all (unless you want a trip to the ground)...

I consider myself a dirt roadie, I like riding bikes no matter what kind or brand, or what surface it may be ridden on. Too bad some others can't apreciate the same thing many of us do.

I agree, it's not that hard to just get along.  I too like "bikes" - Road, mountain, cruiser, tandem, doesn't matter too much as long as it's out enjoying riding by myself or with others.  Never have understood the mentality of "I'm better, faster, and more important so move."  Yeah right,  a little less stress and a little more love, how bad can that be?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
Can't we all just get a Long................................................................................................Neck ;D

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
wow! Ive never been whistled at by roadies. "Kinda feel left out- lol".

I agree with ya, On yerrr left is more then sufficient.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
  • My Bike: 24x3 KH uni w/ 2spd Schlumpf hub
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
Yeah right,  a little less stress and a little more love, how bad can that be?

I don't know if there's a particular movement behind it, but I immediately liked the bumper/window stickers that came out a while ago that say "Wag more, Bark less." Excellent sentiment amusingly phrased.

billnye
John M

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
actually the whistle is much better - you can be heard from further away.  "on your left" you are too close when you are pushing 30MPH and close to fast for the slower traffic to move over.  Thew whistle actually makes it more safe for all involved.  I way too many times have tried "on your left" just to have to hit the brakes because the people you are warning dont have enough time to react by the time you are within vocal range.

funny you get mad at somebody that is actually doing something that makes it safer for both you and them.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »
Okay now that I am not alone I'll join this... 

If I could whisle, I would do it too.  The "on your left" gets me 50% good results and makes people move to the right so I can pass on the left.  Most of the time the slower riders do the wrong thing and move to the left as Matt did.  That causes accidents.  Unlike that guy, I probably would have had more patiance and would have nicely exlain to you and Matt not to move to the left when someone from behind says on the left, or whisles.  I would have also stop and tell you that I tried to get your attention 3 times but I don't think I would have thrown the f-bomb at you.   

You may think whisling is for dogs, cows, or whatever, but it is pretty common to get someone's attention specially when approaching someone from behind at a faster speed.  Well better than on your left call.  He whisled 3 times you said.  You only look right (not sure you meant to say behind) and didn't see them.  But he did announce 3 times and when Matt finally moved the wrong way that may have created tension.  I rather use "rider back" call. 

Roadie bikes don't stop on a dime when going 20mph so the sooner you get a slower ride attention, no  matter what way, it is better for all.  Oh, I rather get whisled at than hearing that annoying bell that some mountain bikers ring at you.  There are a couple I know that use their bell proper and one or two that just ring it all the time.  I just want to rip that bell off their handle bars and throw it away.  hahaha.. not really but it is annoying and distracting hearing a bell the whole ride.  LOL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:37:06 PM by SandPine »

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »
Holy crap, I think I might side with the roadies on this one.....sorta. I've been out on the paved loops lately and joggers,walkers,baby strollers casual bike riders totally hog up the entire width of the path. I've seen signs and arrows telling folks what to do when using the path and over 50% of the people seem to ignore it. I wasn't out there trying to set any records but it became super annoying having to come to a complete stop every few miles or so. Yes it's a shared path but roadies who want to train for time trials or whatever have just as much right to be out there doing their thing. I found myself quickly understanding their frustration while trying to get in a good workout.

Having said this I did have a stealth group come up behind me and attempt to pass on the right side. It actually spooked me quite a bit but from the look of the guys they were just getting into the roadie thing so no harsh words were exchanged. I have no idea why you got so pissed off about being whistled at. I totally agree that you can here that from further away and thus not get a sneak attack causing you to almost ride off the pavement (like I did).
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Advertisement: