Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike Bash-Nov. 7  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
Bike Bash-Nov. 7
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
Hey all,

You guys may know that the Bike Bash is being moved to Flatwoods this year.  Here's the flyer with the info:

http://www.bicyclebash.com/

SWAMP will have a booth and we will be coordinating and guiding some rides.

I've volunteered to coordinate SWAMP's participation but could really use some help.  I've never even been to the FTF so I could use some guidance.

We'll need volunteers to set up the booth then shifts throughout the day.  Folks need to be friendly and eager to share with people who come by what SWAMP is and all the wonderful things we do.

I understand that we have a pop up tent (what size?..do we have any tables?) and easel and stands with pics.  Will need to update those, make sure we've got the latest pics from the latest trips that have been taken...also, pics of races and trail building and work days and socials.  Had thought about having a computer with a slide show, but unless it's in the shade, it can't be seen.

We'll need to arrange ride guides; I envision several different levels of rides.  Garry said at the FTF there was an explanation of each ride, duration, and skill level needed.

Our purpose is to recruit new members, right?  The more folks that get involved and fork over that $20 a year, the more SWAMP can do.  We can buy better equipment to build and maintain the trails we all love.  In order to do that, we've got to create a fun booth.

I welcome any and all help and ideas.

I know it is a long way off, but it's not too early to start planning.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Bike Bash-Nov. 7
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
seems coolio! Didn't make it last year.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
I'll be there but most likely for the USF Bike Club and the Tampa Bay Bike Coop. I'd like to get some demos organized for the USF Bike Club to give some people who've never had a chance to ride anything better than a Walgoose a chance at a fun group ride.

Offline JamesinIT

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disk 29er
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
I'd be interested in helping, how soon do we need to start looking into these things?

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »
Jen, can you get a TV & DVD Player? I could make a DVD with some of the SWAMP maintained trails so they can be playing in a loop in the background.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:25:52 AM »
Jen, can you get a TV & DVD Player? I could make a DVD with some of the SWAMP maintained trails so they can be playing in a loop in the background.
Everyone has a laptop nowadays...

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
I'd be interested in helping, how soon do we need to start looking into these things?

I'm just taking names now.  Getting ideas, and getting people to mark it on their calendars.  If you send me at PM with your email address, I'll add you to my list.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

I was thinking about getting someone's laptop and doing the same.  I've heard that it's sometimes hard to see them in the light, so we'll need to make sure we have it in a shady spot.

I'd like to do that, and have some displays (think science fair cardboards) with photos of the various FTFs, of work days, of trail building efforts, of trips, socials, etc. etc.  All the things that SWAMP does.

I welcome ideas.

Jen

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »
OK, we're less than 50 days out and I need to get a movin' on this.

It is from 10-4 on November 7th.  The club ride is scheduled for Flatwoods that day.  I'm hoping folks can come after their ride and volunteer their time, and maybe even some willing to give up or postpone your ride in order to help your club.

Met with Alan Snel at Flatwoods a few weeks ago.  The Bike Bash is gonna be arranged around the 'Y', with the Cure On Wheels area at the first parking lot after the Ranger Station, the half mile leg off to the right.

We'll have the space back behind the pump station, sorta backing up to Eubanks.

I've got a 10x10 pop up secured.  I also want to get a tent that's enclosed that's big enough to stand up in.  Would like to have 2 lap tops going.  One showing a montage of SWAMP photos and another showing a montage of SWAMP/mtb bike videos.

So, I need someone to volunteer to put those together (pic and video feeds) and I'll need to borrow two laptops for that.

I'm not sure who's got the SWAMP banners, but need to make sure we get those hung up.

We want to give a short intro to mountain biking ride.  I'd thought thru the inside loop at Flatwoods, but it is pretty bumpy.  Any other thoughts about a fairly short ride for someone who's never done it before to get someone hooked?  I talked to Carrollwood bike shop and the guy said he might be able to bring some demo bikes, but I'm thinking we should ask SWAMPers to bring extras or loan theirs after the usual Sunday ride.  (I plan to make sure we have a driver's license and a promise of a first born child before I let someone take off with a bike.)

I'll need someone to lead these rides.

So, this is the official call for volunteers, ideas, and input.  We need to get this moving.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Jennifer

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
I'll probably be spending most of my time at the Tampa Bay Bike Co Op tent but if there's any way I can help let me know.

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
OK,

I'm sending another plea out.  If we want to have SWAMP represented at   the Bike Bash on November 7th, I'm gonna need a lot more help.  If you   think you can help out after your ride (the Bash goes until 4 pm) then   please let me know.  I need to start setting some stuff in concrete.

Thanks so much,

Jennifer

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »
I'd love to volunteer, but I'm going to be at the FSC race in Sunrise. I believe a lot of folks from here are going to be doing the same.