Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New to Boyette  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Tassajara
New to Boyette
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
First time user, long time reader.

I'm riding Boyette for the first time on Monday and looking for a little advice. I'm an intermediate rider, but haven't been out much in the past 2 years (I have to take the child seat off my bike for this ride).

I'm going to try to stick to the blues. I prefer long and fast (like croom). Should I start on the North end and stay on the blue trails, or does anyone recommend I keep on the green until I get to the back?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have a family to feed, so don't send me in back in a body-bag. But I don't want to sandbag it either.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: New to Boyette
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
After the 2 mile journey out to the start of the main trails take Loch Ness, Upper Loch Ness, turn right after exiting Upper Loch Ness and right again just past the creek running under the 2 track.  Follow this and you are on Lower West Meadow and stay right to follow around into Inner Loch Ness.  Exit there to the left and ride up to Vista Ridge, West Meadow/Upper West Meadow and Randy's Trail.  Follow Randy's trail and exit to the right into Lower Spider Berm exiting there with a hard left on Upper Spider Berm and exit straight to the 2 track and right follow the open Single Track into Gator Pit and follow it around into Golf Cart. 

This much may give you a good workout if you haven't been on the bike in the woods in a while.  AT this point you are about 4+ miles from the parking lot on the shortest route.

If you have more game left in you exit Golf Cart to the left and follow it around to Mt. Boyette; just a little climb.  ;D   At the top of Mt. B turn right and enter CANYON.  A tricky little switchback turn in there - let us know how you did.  Exit Canyon and catch your breath, have a GU and enter North Abyss.  Just follow the single track cut in the grass to South Abyss and keep following it, even on the 2 track, until you have done Big Drop and exited back at the exit of Canyon.  If you handled these trails so far and have more in you then you can tackle Pandemonium, Sidewinder, SWAMP Thing, and......Ridgeline!  Ridgeline will kick your ass if your endurance isn't up, and some pretty hefty short ups and downs.  Okay, so a couple of the hard option downs are pucker material your first time or two.

Or you can save that for a nother day and find your way back to parking after the Abyss's.  Download a map too.   :)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
First time user, long time reader.

I'm riding Boyette for the first time on Monday and looking for a little advice. I'm an intermediate rider, but haven't been out much in the past 2 years (I have to take the child seat off my bike for this ride).

I'm going to try to stick to the blues. I prefer long and fast (like croom). Should I start on the North end and stay on the blue trails, or does anyone recommend I keep on the green until I get to the back?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have a family to feed, so don't send me in back in a body-bag. But I don't want to sandbag it either.

Checkout the Boyette Section of our website, it will give you an idea of what to expect on some of the trails out there.. Ride Safe!

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:30:21 AM »
This is really good stuff. Apparently you're ridden the trails a few times. Thanks Garry. I'll check in next week to confirm my existence.

Edge,
The videos look great. Thanks.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »
This is really good stuff. Apparently you're ridden the trails a few times. Thanks Garry. I'll check in next week to confirm my existence.

Edge,
The videos look great. Thanks.

Yeah, Garry has built or help build most of those trails..:)

The 1st 3 or 4 trails Garry suggested will give you an idea what kind of shape you are in. North Abyss can put a hurting on you if not careful, and Ridgeline is just plain fun, but a complete cardio workout for sure!

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »
My endurance is good, it's the technique I'm worried about. From the videos many of the trails look narrow, not to mention bordered by sharp declines. Either way I'm sure it will be fun. Virgin rides are always exciting (don't take that out of context).

I'm also going with someone not from the area that has only ridden Flatwoods. So when you see an article about missing persons on page 7 of the Tribune, I promise to offer a reward for my recovery. You'll probably be the only people that have any chance of finding us.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »
My endurance is good, it's the technique I'm worried about. From the videos many of the trails look narrow, not to mention bordered by sharp declines. Either way I'm sure it will be fun. Virgin rides are always exciting (don't take that out of context).

I'm also going with someone not from the area that has only ridden Flatwoods. So when you see an article about missing persons on page 7 of the Tribune, I promise to offer a reward for my recovery. You'll probably be the only people that have any chance of finding us.

Just dont hit your front brake on the DownHills.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »

Just dont hit your front brake on the DownHills.

What?? Gregg tells me to always lean forward and use my front brake on big downhills... :)

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 07:43:09 PM »
Braking on short steep downhills with either wheel can be pretty precarious and since many of those declines have a matching incline in close proximity it pays dividends to conserve momentum wherever possible.

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »
Back alive...and I appreciate the advice. Ended up riding Ridgeline and loved it. Next time I'm heading there first. Definitely the best trail in the area.

Advertisement: