Author Topic: Alafia Workday Saturday  (Read 821 times)

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Alafia Workday Saturday
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
Both of those were just things I happened upon while riding that just annoyed me. Neither are major alterations.

Rollercoaster, IMO, needed to be done to reduce further damage. Not really a long term fix because a bunch of dirt needs to be moved to change the grade so it slopes outward and drains rather than pools. I would have brought it up with Art the weekend before when I was walking Rollercoaster trimming but it was well after noon by the time I got to the third option and I skipped past that ridge on the way out. When I rode this Saturday it was a mess there and looked to be rapidly deteriorating with people riding around the puddle which was widening the trail and making the puddle bigger by further eroding the edges so I did what I could to stabilize it. It took much longer than I expected to find enough rocks without pulling ones that were being used to support the edge of the trail (some of those were so tempting).

Bridges was just pulling down some branches that really needed to go anyways. I don't think anyone likes having to crash through a near solid wall of foliage at the top of a climb.

That climb may need some further work. I don't think the big step up at the top really fits the difficulty of that section of trail. I can go to the side and around the step up but I can't get up in what I believe is the intended path. The descent from that hill is getting pretty gnarly as well. Lots of stuttery skidding descents from what I saw that are probably only making it worse.

Yeah I'll always call before taking tools out and digging at any park, not just Alafia. Haven't needed to so far though I've sent several emails about issues at Boyette and Croom. That said if I come across something I can do immediately like dragging a downed tree/branch off the trail, ripping down a faceslapper, or taking a moment with a flat rock to reopen a blocked drainage that's allowing water to pool I will. Tossing a bunch of rocks into a sloppy muddy mess  in the middle of the trail may sit somewhere in between obvious fix it now and call for approval (which is difficult because reception is slim to none out there) but since the trail wasn't really changed in any meaningful manner from how it's supposed to be I think just going ahead and doing it then while I was there and willing was the right call.