Author Topic: Something wicked this way comes...  (Read 781 times)

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
Something wicked this way comes...
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:06:44 PM »
1722 grams!  That is 3.79 lbs. for a Lg. (God, I hope I don't break it!)

[/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size][/font][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/color] It is an '05 (The original year I believe) Dos Niner.  The original owner didn't like the puke green paint, so he went with black.  Since it will be built up with a hodge podge of parts, black is probably best.  I will update as the build progresses.  I am shooting for sub 26 lbs.  We'll see.[/font][/color][/size][/size][/font][font='lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size][/font]
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Something wicked this way comes!

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Re: Something wicked this way comes...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Wow... glad u r skinny. I would break it 4 sure!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
No pics yet, but 25 lbs. 1 oz. w/Rampages!  Gonna put on the Aspens tomorrow.  That should get me a pound to a pound and a half.

Offline kj

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Vassago
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »
congrats Kevin, that's going to be hot.

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »
Final build.  24 lbs. 7 oz.  Went with Ergons and Aspens

First bike I built myself.  I had AJ's press in the headset, but did the rest myself.  1st ride today at Boyette.  Did about 12 miles and had to do some adjusting on the trail, then a lot of adjustments at home.  Looking forward to test ride part 2.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
Coach,

how is that rear shock? does it help much at all? I like the concept of this bike, but I don't know how rugged it would be for a big guy like me..
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
Hey Coach, I think you are gonna have a problem dropping the chain off the front unless you put a guide or something up there. Other than that it looks pretty good.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
Coach,

how is that rear shock? does it help much at all? I like the concept of this bike, but I don't know how rugged it would be for a big guy like me..

That is the million dollar question.  Getting an '05 made it an easier to swallow pill if the experiment fails.  The softail definitely takes the edge off the hits.  It is more forgiving than any steel or ti hardtail could be (no way you get an inch of vertical travel).  However the HUGE issue with these is their flex.  And it does flex.  Right now I have only done the one ride Sun. and I felt like I couldn't trust it.  Just seemed to fragile.  Maybe that feeling will go away after I gain some confidence in it, but we will see.  I'll keep you up to date.  I know I would certainly add a half pound more of frame weight in order to get some more stiffness and durability.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »
Coach,

That is the million dollar question.  Getting an '05 made it an easier to swallow pill if the experiment fails.  The softail definitely takes the edge off the hits.  It is more forgiving than any steel or ti hardtail could be (no way you get an inch of vertical travel).  However the HUGE issue with these is their flex.  And it does flex.  Right now I have only done the one ride Sun. and I felt like I couldn't trust it.  Just seemed to fragile.  Maybe that feeling will go away after I gain some confidence in it, but we will see.  I'll keep you up to date.  I know I would certainly add a half pound more of frame weight in order to get some more stiffness and durability.

Cool, yeah keep me updated.. was looking at a 08' on ebay fully loaded for $1400...

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
Coach whats the current line on the breakage date? I'll bet $5 it breaks on Max G's in June.  :o

Just kidding.

I gotta hand it to you having fun with with builds like that and trying out new and strange stuff.

Hope it doesnt break
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »
Coach whats the current line on the breakage date? I'll bet $5 it breaks on Max G's in June.  :o

Just kidding.

I gotta hand it to you having fun with with builds like that and trying out new and strange stuff.

Hope it doesnt break

Too funny, I was too scared to hit Pandemonium or Ridgeline.  My guess is 5 minutes after I gain enough confidence in it, is when it will break.  ;)

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
Hey Coach, I think you are gonna have a problem dropping the chain off the front unless you put a guide or something up there. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Good call.  I didn't think about it until I looked at my post today.  I have been so busy trying to dial in the rear der., I forgot about chain retention!  :o

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »
You can't have the chain guide you game a while back.  It is on my bike and saved me several times.  You may also want to get a shot or med derailluer... bet

btw, i weight more than you and I run a ht steel ss... I am not sure I would trust that soft tail either.  But the salsa web site may have some weight limits or just google around to see if other large-r riders use that frame. 

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
You can't have the chain guide you game a while back.  It is on my bike and saved me several times.  You may also want to get a shot or med derailluer... bet

btw, i weight more than you and I run a ht steel ss... I am not sure I would trust that soft tail either.  But the salsa web site may have some weight limits or just google around to see if other large-r riders use that frame. 

I was looking at the Salsa site for that SP, but all I found was the psi settings on the shock giving 250lbs as the top end... if it is that flexy for you, my 260lbs would break it coach...

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »
Allegedly, the Orange and Silver models have a larger downtube and headtube.  I don't know for sure.