Author Topic: 29'er wheels  (Read 649 times)

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Re: 29'er wheels
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
I already have the rear King hub. I don't get along with standard hubs, I broke 6 Mavic hubs in 3 months back in the day. The Kings have been bombproof for me, so I'm gonna stick with what I know. Light wheels are nice, but not if I have to worry about them breaking, or I can't ride my normal aggressive way that I like to ride. I do like the Mavic rims, my 819's have been super strong. But the only rim I can find from Mavic doesn't seem to fit the bill, so it looks like the Flows are gonna be the way to go. I appreciate all the responses though.

Jason, I am in the wheel set dilemma now also.. I have a wonky front rim and the WTB hub in the rear blew a bearing and is still in the shop. The wheels I have now arr stock WTB hubs on laserdisc trail rims that dont seem to like me or my riding style.. I am really debating on trying to save up for Chris Kings on mavic 819's, or go with something a little less expensive like Hopes hubs.. it will take me awhile to save up $800 plus for a wheel set and I dont know if my current set would last that long... 
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Don (drb81) has a hope/819 rear wheel that he was thinking about selling, he wanted to go with a King last time I talked to him. The 819/king setup has been really good to me, the hub on my Epi is on it's 3rd bike. :)  Sounds like the Flow rims are the closest thing to an 819 for the 29'er.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
Check out the Velocity Blunt rims. Slightly lighter than the Flows but are supposed to be stupid strong. Plus they come in a variety of colors.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »
Ok, the Stans rims are on backorder until at least the middle of July, so much for that. Looking at the Blunts and also the Mavic TN719 rims. I see Velocity also has a P35, but that just seems to wide. I'm only planning on running a 2.1 or 2.2 tire at most. If I was gonna run 2.4's I'd go for a wider rim.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
jason, sorry coming in to this late. I have to run a down hill rim. casey at AJ's built me a wheels with SYNCROSS DS 28. ( I think the 28 stands for rim width?) It has held up well. It has beefier spokes and brass nipples.
My DT Swiss 470 stock wheels have not held up. I am going to have to get a new front wheel soon. I keep breaking nipples as the rim has way too much flex for me.
I am about 230 these days. I have to sacrafice strength for weight. Its a fair trade for me.
Thats my $0.02
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
I agree Skinman, I'd rather have strong than light. Thanks

Offline Luis

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Waltworks 29
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
Blunts are soft, they dent real easy...   Universal cycles shows the Flows in stock http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=17727&category=473, I'm sure other online shops have them also.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
Thanks Luis, you are the man of the minute! My LBS checked 3 of his suppliers and I was all over different e-sites last night trying to find these things to no avail. Just ordered them.