Author Topic: Help me select a crankset  (Read 774 times)

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Help me select a crankset
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
On a 68mm shell you will use 2 spacers on the drive side and one spacer on the non drive side :)

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »
The 770 is what I have my eyes on.  I am thinking about yanking the granny gear since I never use it so that will be some additional weight savings.  The other idea kicking around in my head is a 1x9 with a 34 or 36 up front.  If I go that route I can keep the existing crankset.

Dumb question.  The Paragon takes a 73mm BB shell.  My Redline takes a 68mm.  I'm assuming the existing BB from my Paragon will work on the Redline w/o screwing up my chainline if I don't utilize the spacers that are on the Paragon right now....right?  From what I understand the Shimano BB works with either a 73 or 68 depending on whether or not you use the supplied spacers.

yes you're right about shimano. The 771 darrin posted has a 48 big ring. But i must say, a 48 big ring would of been nice at that urban race.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
Good stuff.

Think I may swap out the cassette as well.  I have my eye on the XT (M770).  Descriptions says it is for use with the "super narrow HG chain".  Can I get away with using a 9-speed SRAM with this cassette?  I am not entirely sure what the difference is between the SRAM and XT chains (aside from expense).  Plus I prefer the SRAM chains since I seem to have better luck with them lasting longer.

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:29 AM »
Good stuff.

Think I may swap out the cassette as well.  I have my eye on the XT (M770).  Descriptions says it is for use with the "super narrow HG chain".  Can I get away with using a 9-speed SRAM with this cassette?  I am not entirely sure what the difference is between the SRAM and XT chains (aside from expense).  Plus I prefer the SRAM chains since I seem to have better luck with them lasting longer.

i use an Sram chain & cassette

Offline Luis

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Waltworks 29
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 08:55:26 AM »
Good stuff.

super narrow = 9 speed, you're fine...

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »
The XT cassette is another BEST BANG for the BUCK purchase. Sram or Shimano 9 speed chains will work just fine :)

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
I was planning to upgrade to the 770s but my M-542s took a good whack and the left started wobbling. Didn't have the money then for the XT right then so I ended up with an M-543. Got to say for a non-series crank, it's a good solid crankset that spins like butter. Significantly better than the 542 it replaced. Considering they're available for $45 on eBay I think it's the best deal in cranks I've seen. I still want the 770s (or whatever comes along to replace those) but I can wait a while, the 543 is good enough for now. I can shave a lot more grams off my gut before I really need to be spend $$ on stuff where the existing hasn't broken yet.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
Knock on wood....but aside from the chinrings (which was my own fault) my 542's have been good to me.   

Last night I decided to just order Blackspire rings, a new chain, and the XT cassette.  Total cost was still less than a set of XT cranks.  I'm ditching the granny gear and will refinish the arms (not a fan of the silver) when I have it torn apart this weekend.  Thinking I may just strip the finish and polish them up...or paint them white to match the bike.  Not sure yet.