Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: chain replacement question  (Read 1008 times)

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
chain replacement question
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
I replaced my chain today and during the test ride a problem became evident.  When riding in the the middle ring gear there is a grinding, ratcheting feel with an audible crunch noise.  This doesn't exist in the small or large ring gear (which I use very rarely) only in the middle.

Nothing is rubbing or making unusual contact anywhere along the derailleurs or anywhere else.  I'm supposing that the same wear which necessitated replacing the chain is also prompting me to replace that middle gear too.  Does that seem reasonable, likely, certain?

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: chain replacement question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
How long did you run your prior chain?  Most of the time if you run a worn chain for too long it will prematurely wear the rest of your drivetrain as well.  Take a look at your middle ring and the cassette.  If they look worn/damaged then you should replace the components ASAP...otherwise you will be chasing drivetrain issues, risk breakdowns, and make riding not so pleasurable.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
How did you connect your new chain? pin or power link? make sure the pin is not sticking out on one end. Check for a stiff link where you used your chain break tool to cut your chain to size. And lastly Start using that BIG RING ;D

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
How long did you run your prior chain?  I'd guess about 200 hours.

Most of the time if you run a worn chain for too long it will prematurely wear the rest of your drivetrain as well.  Take a look at your middle ring and the cassette.  If they look worn/damaged then you should replace the components ASAP...otherwise you will be chasing drivetrain issues, risk breakdowns, and make riding not so pleasurable.  Agreed, I just ordered a new middle ring and wont ride again (in the old ring) until it's installed.

How did you connect your new chain? pin or power link? make sure the pin is not sticking out on one end. power link.

Check for a stiff link where you used your chain break tool to cut your chain to size.
already did, good to go.

And lastly Start using that BIG RING ;D  you know it!  :)

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »
Just an idea check the rear D to make sure you are on the top side of the pin

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »
bringing it to closure...

a new middle drive ring gear and everything is smooth like butta.  lesson learned, replacing only one part of a drivetrain can have consequences. 

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
bringing it to closure...

a new middle drive ring gear and everything is smooth like butta.  lesson learned, replacing only one part of a drivetrain can have consequences. 

And use your big ring more often... :)

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
Go to your local bike shop, most of them sell a park tool that measures chain wear. If you change your chain between .80 and about .90 you can usually go thru 3 and if your really lucky, maybe 4 chains per cassette as long as you lube your chain correctly. Your middle ring will last longer that way. Use the big ring more, you don't need to use the little ring for anything around here. Momentum is your friend!!!!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »
...Your middle ring will last longer that way. Use the big ring more, you don't need to use the little ring for anything around here. Momentum is your friend!!!!
Huh?  There is a big, middle, and little ring?  What are those?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 09:36:44 AM »
All kidding aside, i have started using my big ring exclusively when I ride at Wilderness park.. I think it has really helped me gain power and stamina... plus I go faster...:)

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
Art's right - get the park tool to measure your chain once its stretched out where the tool fits in easily it si time for a new chain... I suppose your choice... a 40.00 chain or a 100.00 cassette with 40.00 chain rings...

seems like a no brainer....
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
All kidding aside, i have started using my big ring exclusively when I ride at Wilderness park.. I think it has really helped me gain power and stamina... plus I go faster... :)

I loves me my Big Ring. All i used @ the squiggy

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
...Your middle ring will last longer that way. Use the big ring more, you don't need to use the little ring for anything around here. Momentum is your friend!!!!
Huh?  There is a big, middle, and little ring?  What are those?
Every time I try to use my little ring, after a few cranks, I wonder what the heck I am doing in that ring.  Some mountain trails with roots and rocks I realize it's strength, but like Art says, most of Florida trails it's not needed.  Middle, big and back again.  Spread the wealth.  :-)

Advertisement: